2019 Ford Edge AWD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Considering a 2019 Ford Edge 2.0T AWD SEL / This vehicle is apparently based on the Fusion platform and it seems to check off all the boxes for us. Any edge owners (or anybody else) care to chime in on this vehicle ? It is quite roomy and we like the interior. 2019 brings many updates : Ford 360 safety tech standard across the board : new 8spd auto : revised styling front & rear : And maybe biggest of all > a new design / supplier for the much maligned PTU unit https://www.aam.com/media/story/aam-to-supply-awd-ptus-for-global-ford-crossovers / https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N7DfINyDCfY / These "updates" of course don't mean diddly unless the new systems are actually "improvements" what say you ?

I think the ptu is fine as long as you change the oil frequently. I think the problem was it only held a quart or something and between the heat issues and it leaking out people were having units burn up. I do think the seats are very comfortable.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ammofirst
The PTU in my brothers 2015 Explorer holds 18 oz. It lunched itself at 37k

That's the one I had. 18 oz is bad enough. The exhaust blocks drain plug and cooks PTU.
Got the muffler shop to move the exhaust some + I wrapped the pipe with header tape …
Good to hear they improved PTU … it's a sharp ride.

Last edited:
The Lead engineer at work bought one last year when he got promoted to Director.

Had multiple electrical and other problems and ended up trading in after 8 months for a Explorer.

I retired right after that at the end of 2018 so I don't know how that experience is going.

I would find an Edge sub Forum and lurk there and also read comments on edmunds.

You must perform due diligence - even then its a crap shoot.

Last edited:
It's shocking that in 2019 with all of our engineering knowledge that silly stuff like this still makes it way to production. All the computing, modeling, testing, etc. and they can't catch this stuff.

While not a 2019, mine is at 15k now. The way the "technology" operates and some of the controls (panorama roof) are the only irritating thing so far. The AWD system has been used in snow and seemed to operate well.

Originally Posted by Throt
It's shocking that in 2019 with all of our engineering knowledge that silly stuff like this still makes it way to production. All the computing, modeling, testing, etc. and they can't catch this stuff.

Designed to fail ? Or excessive cost cutting ?

Which to blame ? Engineers or bean counters ? Or both ?

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Originally Posted by Throt

Designed to fail ? Or excessive cost cutting ?

Which to blame ? Engineers or bean counters ? Or both ?

I have had some interesting conversations with engineers who when asked about certain common issues say their hands are literally tied by accounting.

My only experience with Ford AWD was a 2017 Flex and it was garbage at best. Two back wheels on pavement and front two in deep snow needing to step up onto pavement. The rear wheels would kick power to pavement and then stop while the fronts spun away on snow. Maybe it overheated and gave up.

Don't know about that year, but the earlier V6 Front wheel drive units are known to be very reliable (2011). We avoided the AWD drive models because I suspected that the AWD components could be problematic, and later found out that they were. We really like the vehicle.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by SevenBizzos
While not a 2019, mine is at 15k now. The way the "technology" operates and some of the controls (panorama roof) are the only irritating thing so far. The AWD system has been used in snow and seemed to operate well.

Originally Posted by SevenBizzos

Is your Sport model a 2.7 L turbo with a six speed automatic?

yeah, having owned a Fusion AWD that boiled and puked it's PTU fluid, I'd stick with FWD only. Those should be good to go.

I'm just not into American vehicles. BTDT, and I recommend Japan for your automotive needs unless you have an emotional reason otherwise. (EX: "But I like mustangs!")

Originally Posted by Ws6
I'm just not into American vehicles. BTDT, and I recommend Japan for your automotive needs unless you have an emotional reason otherwise. (EX: "But I like mustangs!")

You sound like a typical "me" Globalist. Unable to live beyond your own fingertips

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back