Cheap Synthetic (supertech) vs big brand conventional, your pick?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I would do big brand conventional.

Your sig says otherwise
grin.gif

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
I would do big brand conventional.

Your sig says otherwise
grin.gif

Haha yeah of course I have a super duper fantastic pure awesomeness made in a lab by righteous dudes in lab coats synthetic slipperiness in my car :^D

My first week on BITOG, I felt smug. All these guys saying X is better than Y. I read the labels on stuff. Meets or exceeds the specs Just like the stuff on TV.. Heck, I was encouraged to extend the OCI to 5K miles. Brand recognition means your extra bucks goes for an ad campaign.

It's nice to think (believe? ) that you get what you pay for.

However, I'm of the opinion that in many modern engines, sufficiently frequent oil changes are far more important than the differences among synthetics.

What Cujet said imo is gospel when it comes to cars. Clean and frequent oil changes is what's #1 in engine health.

Originally Posted by dave1251
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
The big brands make their own base stocks and formulate their own house brand lubricants. They also sell their base stocks to blenders like Warren who in turn will private label (SuperTech) or sell their own house brand (Mag1).

And the products used by the "smaller" blenders are just as a high quality as the anything else. Afton, Lubrizol, BASF and others are inferior to any other chemical company on producing and testing additive packages in relation to base oil and performance. The best retort on this forum will be nonsense about high school GPA.

I agree, Dave.

I personally don't extend my drains much past the engine manufacturer's recommended intervals. I look for the lowest price on motor oil approved for my engine. I prefer to buy reputable brands, and in my opinion Warren is a reputable brand. I also prefer to buy filters produced by a reputable company with a good track record, and I shop for the lowest price.

I used to overthink this stuff, but by researching this site, especially the UOA section, has led me to believe that all major brand oils are more than up to the task for my engines.

. Clean and frequent oil changes is what's #1 in engine health. [/quote

I would agree to that.

Originally Posted by tiger862
I use an oil that meets spec and Supertech doesn't so I would take Havoline ProDS in 6qt box for 19.95. Heck if I wanted conventional then Havoline conventional is 14.95 for 6qt. box.

I am curious. Exactly what spec does Super Tech not meet? From what I see its meets every spec for a vehicle sold in America. If that's not true please advise because there is a much larger price difference ( NOT 2 bucks) between it (sales aside) and any other similar weight and type oil available where I live.

Originally Posted by 007
I use an oil that meets spec and Supertech doesn't so I would take Havoline ProDS in 6qt box for 19.95. Heck if I wanted conventional then Havoline conventional is 14.95 for 6qt. box.

I am curious. Exactly what spec does Super Tech not meet? From what I see its meets every spec for a vehicle sold in America. If that's not true please advise because there is a much larger price difference ( NOT 2 bucks) between it (sales aside) and any other similar weight and type oil available where I live.

I dont believe it meets VW or MB specs? Or any ACEA spec? Might be wrong...

Originally Posted by 007

It doesn't meet Chrysler spec which I have a 18
Grand Caravan under warranty.

Originally Posted by 007

This too, to add on to that it also doesnt meet the SRT spec

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by 007

This too, to add on to that it also doesnt meet the SRT spec

Neither the MS-6395 nor the SRT MS-12633 are REQUIRED to maintain your warranty, per the owners manual. They only care that you use the proper grade of API certified oil. If they wanted it required, they would have written that like they do for the octane ratings needed. All MS-6395 is is a mirror of ILSAC GF-5 and a 2 year fleet test. It's not special.

Originally Posted by Skippy722
Neither the MS-6395 nor the SRT MS-12633 are REQUIRED to maintain your warranty, per the owners manual. They only care that you use the proper grade of API certified oil. If they wanted it required, they would have written that like they do for the octane ratings needed. All MS-6395 is is a mirror of ILSAC GF-5 and a 2 year fleet test. It's not special.

Alright alright, ST still doesnt meet MB, VW, Porche, or ACEA standards, which some cars sold in NA DO Require.

What Cujet said imo is gospel when it comes to cars. Clean and frequent oil changes is what's #1 in engine health.

100% agree. And since ST Syn is priced lower than many synthetics, you can change it just as often, it's a win win situation.

Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by Skippy722

Alright alright, ST still doesnt meet MB, VW, Porche, or ACEA standards, which some cars sold in NA DO Require.

Yup, for those vehicles you use euro oils. But for the vast majority of American and Asian vehicles, ST Syn meets requirements.

For what it's worth I don't read my GM owners manual to be flexible like that on Dexos … same with the grade …
That's perhaps why you find Dexos on ST and the major brand synthetic offerings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back