Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Denali376
Its a complete 💩 that ANY Oil manufactures/Mixers/Bottlers whomever is cooking these high priced "synthetic" oils are not required to put what and how much of what they are selling on the bottle. You literally have to get analysis on unused oil to see what it is . I'm probably over reacting and should be like most and buy what the manufacturer suggests ........ NOPE !

How about conventional oil?

Study and read to your hearts content / buy high end oils.

The truth is something like QSUD or M1 exceeds the specs set by the manufacturer of both of the engines you have. The $20 jug of QSUD will do the same job protecting your engine as the "boutique" stuff in 99% of usage.

Modern grIII/grIII+ synthetics are all you need.

Its a complete 💩 that ANY Oil manufactures/Mixers/Bottlers whomever is cooking these high priced "synthetic" oils are not required to put what and how much of what they are selling on the bottle. You literally have to get analysis on unused oil to see what it is . I'm probably over reacting and should be like most and buy what the manufacturer suggests ........ NOPE !

Ahha here we go. Now you're letting us know your real agenda. So how does getting an analysis tell you that? What kind of analysis are you getting? Can you tell this from a Blackstone analysis?

What about my assertion about approvals, specifications and licenses? What do you think about that? Or does base stock composition override any of that?

I'm not a brand loyalist on any product be it Ford or Chevy vehicles or in this example ExxonMobil vs Chevron products . If it satisfies my needs and is obtainable .

ExxonMobil and Chevron are literally two of the largest producers of base stocks in the world and what base stocks, in what %, is in their house brand(s) is going to be a trade secret. Don't go down that rabbit hole my friend...

I don't concern myself so much with the base stock but more so with the finished lubricants performance characteristics and certs it carries, since base stock can and do change within the finished lubricant. See the FAQ link to ExxonMobil's site on base stocks.

XOM FAQ - BASE STOCKS

You said, "if it satisfies my needs and is obtainable". If "your needs" are subjective, I've got nothing for ya. But if "your needs" are what's stated in your OM, well both of these mfgs check off that and the "obtainable" boxes. Use their respective product finders, maybe take a look at a few specs on the PDS to winnow down your choice(s) and pick one.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Originally Posted by kschachn
Theres a whole forum full of UOAs and VOAs, eat your heart out. Those are factual, not opinions

And none of which will let you "see what they are really made of" as this poster has posted.

*Most major oil companies post Safety Data Sheets as well as Product Data sheets that will show you the makeup of the oil

I just got finished looking over the SDS MSDS on Shells page for Pennzoil ultra platinum ,all weights . Guess what ? Nothing.

I just got finished looking over the SDS MSDS on Shells page for Pennzoil ultra platinum ,all weights . Guess what ? Nothing.

What were you expecting it to say?

What were you expecting it to say?

Exactly. That is not the purpose of SDS sheets.

How does an oil analysis show you anything? They are all different, but what makes one oil superior to another? Also whats wrong with using what the mfr suggests? Most branded oils are plenty capable...i think you are paranoid. Cant wait for you to tell us which oil is best based on new oil analysis. What quality do you think is most important?

Its a complete 💩 that ANY Oil manufactures/Mixers/Bottlers whomever is cooking these high priced "synthetic" oils are not required to put what and how much of what they are selling on the bottle.

As with other products where safety is not an issue, oil manufacturers are not obligated to give out their proprietary formulations that they spent literally millions of dollars developing and qualifying. They are not selling a composition - they are selling a performance level, which is clearly marked on the labels.

But approvals, specifications and licenses are the only reliable metrics to tell what an oil is really made of in terms of real-world performance.

Exactly!

Theres a whole forum full of UOAs and VOAs, eat your heart out. Those are factual, not opinions

And none of which will let you "see what they are really made of" as this poster has posted.

*Most major oil companies post Safety Data Sheets as well as Product Data sheets that will show you the makeup of the oil

Fischer-Tropsch derived base oil, consisting largely of branched, cyclic and linear hydrocarbons
having carbon numbers in the range of C18 to C50.
Highly refined mineral oils and additives.
The highly refined mineral oil contains w) DMSO-extract, according to IP346.
The highly refined mineral oil is only present as additive diluent.

Screenshot_20190721-120817_Drive.jpg

I gave the OP links to "real synthetic" …
let's see if he buys 3 or 4 gallons … how most threads like this end, right guys ?

Agreed. You steered him correctly. Whether he wants to spend the money is another matter. To be blunt, he doesn't answer any questions put to him, even for clarification. He repeats the mantra that somehow him sending a $30 cheque to Blackstone is going to give him all the answers in the world, despite the fact that he knows there are thousands of VOAs and UOAs here. He claims not to be a troll but does the opposite.

Denali376: You're met with suspicion here because of your approach. The only way to characterise your approach, if not trolling, would be naive. Do you honestly think that if there were a way to get base stock compositions for a pittance, you wouldn't find it done here, of all places, already?

Originally Posted by 4WD
I gave the OP links to "real synthetic" …
let's see if he buys 3 or 4 gallons … how most threads like this end, right guys ?

Yeah, this "new guy" sounds like one of my ex co workers that got canned Thursday for putting the wrong grade oil in a 2018 Silverado truck at work when he knew the proper grade the truck called for. Some folks are just know it alls

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Garak
...Do you honestly think that if there were a way to get base stock compositions for a pittance, you wouldn't find it done here, of all places, already?

01.gif

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by Garak
...Do you honestly think that if there were a way to get base stock compositions for a pittance, you wouldn't find it done here, of all places, already?

01.gif

Great comment Garak.

It appears to have vamoosed. Until the next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back