Ford EcoBoost Oil Catch Can?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My BIL just got a beautiful Ford XLT 3.5 EcoBoost F-150.
He was asking about the need for an oil catch can in the PCV loop.
I told him I thought if the engine needed one, they would have installed one at the factory, but that I really don't know anything about it.
He even asked the techs at his local dealership and they said is is a good idea...
I guess it has to do with the compression and direct injection engine.

Please offer your thoughts and especially real world experience.
I appreciate your guidance.

Ford's direct injection engines do not have issues with valve deposits.

Furthermore, the use of a quality synthetic oil and regular oil changes (I suggest every 5K on the EB engines) will prevent any of the common problems. Those engines are known to last a very long time with proper service.

Also of note, the 2017 and later 3.5L EB engines have both direct injection and port injection. So valves will remain clean with the use of quality fuels.

Originally Posted by Cujet
Ford's direct injection engines do not have issues with valve deposits.

Furthermore, the use of a quality synthetic oil and regular oil changes (I suggest every 5K on the EB engines) will prevent any of the common problems. Those engines are known to last a very long time with proper service.

Also of note, the 2017 and later 3.5L EB engines have both direct injection and port injection. So valves will remain clean with the use of quality fuels.

Bingo, there's your answer DI AND MPFI. Just like my Toyota has. The old style kicks in every now and again to wash down the intakes, problem solved... I still wouldn't be going over 5k +- on those oil changes though Necause there's still going to be fuel dilution.

The main Issue with a 3.5 is that the intake may accumulate moisture, which will enter the engine in one fell swoop and causing loss of power and perhaps limp mode. The solution is to drill a small hole at the bottom of the intake, to let that moisture drain out. A catch can will help, but drilling the hole is the primary solution. Check on some F150 forms and you will get the technique to drill the hole.

Originally Posted by JLTD
The main Issue with a 3.5 is that the intake may accumulate moisture, which will enter the engine in one fell swoop and causing loss of power and perhaps limp mode. The solution is to drill a small hole at the bottom of the intake, to let that moisture drain out. A catch can will help, but drilling the hole is the primary solution. Check on some F150 forms and you will get the technique to drill the hole.

I did this on my 2011 3.5 EB F150. Worked perfectly and solved the problem. This fix is for the 2011-2014 3.5' Ecoboost F150's. The later F150 models don't need this mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back