Is Liquimoly Overrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by shortyb
Originally Posted by TiGeo
But then again I'm a LM fanboy..ahhahahahah

Must be that teutonic-like blocky bottle shape
wink.gif

Least you're honest and one of the first (if not only) ones that says you use it because you like it. And not for any other reason, vs. something comparable but less expensive/easy to acquire. FCP Euro does have a good purchase program for stuff like that though.

Yep...at least I admit it! The issue with FCP Euro is the return shipping but yes...an interesting concept for sure!

20190719_205344.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ChristianReske
Originally Posted by alcyon
Funny its seems LM bottled oils dont have moly in them. Looks like their specialty is selling moly additives in a small bottle.
No thanks I will stick with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, way cheaper and already has moly in every bottle.

But there are no Shells in Shell oils also...

The name "Liqui Moly" comes from their first product, the Moly Oil Additive. 40 Years ago. But People still claim "What? No Moly in Liqui Moly?"

But having sea shells in oil is not beneficial whereas having moly in oil is beneficial....

The MOS2 Anti-Friction 10w40 & 10w30 should have moly in it. It does claim it right on the bottle.

Does their new Molygen have it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ad244
Originally Posted by AirBull
LM is good but not great. Ravenol specs are usually superior and can be had in the US via Blauparts.com.

How do you feel it compares to Ravenol which is definitely better

Sorry, but if one german Oil is overrated, than ist definately Ravenol.

The last UOAs done in the German Oil club Forum showed that Ravenol varies greatly from batch to batch and this oil thins out fast in use. https://oil-club.de/
Also the guys in the russian oil forum complained about variations from batch to batch.

If one german oil is overratd than its Ravenol for sure.

There were some significant formulation changes in some of the Ravenol oils, I posted about it before and even posted the changed TDS sheets that show that the product has not always been the same. Calling it overrated because the formulation changed is ridiculous. It's still a PAO-based synthetic product with myriad approvals and insanely good specs. Formulations change, if that's what it has come to tossing at it because one thinks it might stick, that's pretty sad.

Originally Posted by OVERKILL
Originally Posted by ad244
Originally Posted by AirBull
LM is good but not great. Ravenol specs are usually superior and can be had in the US via Blauparts.com.

How do you feel it compares to Ravenol which is definitely better

Sorry, but if one german Oil is overrated, than ist definately Ravenol.
The last UOAs done in the German Oil club Forum showed that Ravenol varies greatly from batch to batch and this oil thins out fast in use. https://oil-club.de/
Also the guys in the russian oil forum complained about variations from batch to batch.
If one german oil is overratd than its Ravenol for sure.

There were some significant formulation changes in some of the Ravenol oils, I posted about it before and even posted the changed TDS sheets that show that the product has not always been the same. Calling it overrated because the formulation changed is ridiculous. It's still a PAO-based synthetic product with myriad approvals and insanely good specs. Formulations change, if that's what it has come to tossing at it because one thinks it might stick, that's pretty sad.

IIRC the major issue was that there was oil in dexos1 Gen 2 jugs that was obviously not formulated for that standard...

Calling it overrated because the formulation changed is ridiculous. It's still a PAO-based synthetic product with myriad approvals and insanely good specs. Formulations change, if that's what it has come to tossing at it because one thinks it might stick, that's pretty sad.

As I've said before, I think they're serious about it what they're doing, too. They're playing with the big boys now as an F1 fuel and lubricants supplier, and that's insanely expensive and difficult. Total pulled up stakes and I haven't seen Valvoline there for decades. To put it in perspective, Shell spends more money in one year in F1 than Amsoil earns in gross annual revenue. I doubt Mobil and Petronas and Castrol are far behind.

So, Ravenol being caught with their pants down to be out of spec doesn't count. Due diligence and homework may be helpful on occasion.

Originally Posted by Y_K
So, Ravenol being caught with their pants down to be out of spec doesn't count. Due diligence and homework may be helpful on occasion.

Time of the occurrence is what matters. IIRC Ravenol was having an issue with regards counterfeiting and/or quality control. That's much different story than accusing them, as you are, that they were defrauding customers.

Originally Posted by Y_K

Were they out of spec? I think we must be cautious judging the properties of a product based on information from a single source, such as the Russian oil forum. I know pitch forks and torches can be fun and all though.

Funny its seems LM bottled oils dont have moly in them. Looks like their specialty is selling moly additives in a small bottle.
No thanks I will stick with Shell Helix Ultra 5W40, way cheaper and already has moly in every bottle.

But there are no Shells in Shell oils also...

The name "Liqui Moly" comes from their first product, the Moly Oil Additive. 40 Years ago. But People still claim "What? No Moly in Liqui Moly?"

But having sea shells in oil is not beneficial whereas having moly in oil is beneficial....

I think out of 10.000 Liqui Moly customers in germany maybe 1 have a clue what the english, fancy sounding name "Liqui-Moly" mean and that Moly is a oil additive.
Add to this that nobody in gemany outside of a university or a chemical lab says "molybden", the average Joe (or Fritz..) here call it just "Graphit".

So, "Liqui-Moly" is a fine Brand name for Gemany, but maybe not so for Export.

Ravenol:

In the german Oil club forum where some UOAS that clearly showed that Ravenol thins from -40 to -30 weight in noo time.

It was a issue, discussed in the german forum.

At the moment, all seems well. The Last UOAS looked good. But, again, also the guys in the russian Oil Forum complained at one point in time that ravenol varies from batch to batch.

https://oil-club.de/index.php?board/160-5w-40/

Beside this, Ravenol has a absurde HUGE selection of Oils, i totally get lost and cant figure out the differences. I wait for the day when they create a special Oil for Yugos.....

Best german oil to me at the Moment? ROWE.

Ravenol:

In the german Oil club forum where some UOAS that clearly showed that Ravenol thins from -40 to -30 weight in noo time.

It was a issue, discussed in the german forum.

At the moment, all seems well. The Last UOAS looked good. But, again, also the guys in the russian Oil Forum complained at one point in time that ravenol varies from batch to batch.

https://oil-club.de/index.php?board/160-5w-40/

Beside this, Ravenol has a absurde HUGE selection of Oils, i totally get lost and cant figure out the differences. I wait for the day when they create a special Oil for Yugos.....

Best german oil to me at the Moment? ROWE.

Reminds of the time back in the early 2000's when people were up in arms over that fact that M1 0w40 would quickly shear down to the 30 weight and then squeak back into the 40w range at the tail end of a long drain interval.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Reminds of the time back in the early 2000's when people were up in arms over that fact that M1 0w40 would quickly shear down to the 30 weight and then squeak back into the 40w range at the tail end of a long drain interval.

Which, coincidentally, was when it was primarily PAO-based, like Ravenol's SSO. I'll be interested to see what my 100C visc is when it is time for my UOA on this fill.

Pretty sure we've seen shear with all the 0w-40's though, including the Castrol one. Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 sheared worse than M1 0w-40 did, IIRC. Seems the ~3.5cP HTHS Euro lubes all are inclined to drop out of grade in certain applications because they are so close to the bottom of it in the first place
21.gif

Originally Posted by Y_K
Opps, I didn't notice you have Ravenol in your signature. Sorry.

Even ran a VOA on it
wink.gif

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Which, coincidentally, was when it was primarily PAO-based, like Ravenol's SSO. I'll be interested to see what my 100C visc is when it is time for my UOA on this fill.

Pretty sure we've seen shear with all the 0w-40's though, including the Castrol one. Pennzoil Ultra 5w-40 sheared worse than M1 0w-40 did, IIRC. Seems the ~3.5cP HTHS Euro lubes all are inclined to drop out of grade in certain applications because they are so close to the bottom of it in the first place
21.gif

Yep

That is the consensus here on several posts on the topic (some mine). I have been using LM on my Golf Sportwagen and it certainly looks fine to me in terms of UOA but I'm sure I can achieve the same results for half the price. I paid ~$65 delivered for my last LM oil change kit from an online Euro-part retailer I like to purchase from that included 6L of oil, a VW filter, and drain plug. I like the convenience and the hate to say it, we all get to spend money on what we want and I like it so I buy it. If going to Walmart and getting M1 or Castrol 0W40 on sale and rebates etc. and getting filters/drain plugs on Amazon is your thing, by all means go with it! I know a lot of folks say the 0W40 oils (for those looking for the typical Euro approvals i.e. VW502.00) are higher-quality than the LM 5W40. This is my last UOA.

Enough Said, thanks for sharing!

One other comment I have w/r to the LM or any other higher-price "boutique" oil - I never see any users of those oils saying that your Supertech/Wallyworld/whatever oils are inferior....but I sure do read a lot of those users busting on those that spend more money on the more expensive LM-type oils. Just sayin'. As I said in a post above, to each their own and the lower-priced stuff is your jam, cool! I'm sure those oils work great too.

One other comment I have w/r to the LM or any other higher-price "boutique" oil - I never see any users of those oils saying that your Supertech/Wallyworld/whatever oils are inferior....but I sure do read a lot of those users busting on those that spend more money on the more expensive LM-type oils. Just sayin'. As I said in a post above, to each their own and the lower-priced stuff is your jam, cool! I'm sure those oils work great too.

LM is not boutique oil. LM is not 90Schilling, it is Budweiser.

Originally Posted by edyvw

LM is not boutique oil. LM is not 90Schilling, it is Budweiser.

I should have said "boutique" - may bad and not my intent - but here in the U.S., this is somewhat of a "boutique" oil vs. Castrol/M1 etc. was my point. Yes, it's nothing fancy but people assume it is b/c of it's higher price. It's like VW....the Ford of Germany!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back