Is my mower battery going to die one day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 34" gravely compact pro ztr with 550hrs and I believe it was bought new around September 2014. The battery is still kicking in it. Researching on here all I here is they only last a couple years max. It's a Duracell. Lol who makes those? I make sure I don't turn it off unless it's on the trailer. This battery isn't exposed to heat since it's under the seat and away from the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:
It will eventually succumb to its age. If you don't use it in the winter you could just keep using it until it becomes obvious that you have to replace it. If you need it for winter duty you may want to get it tested and see what condition it is in or simply replace it soon.

Penny wise and dollar foolish. Just think, you would have 400 hours on it instead of 550, to save a 25 dollar battery, long past is prime. Go figure.

Last edited:
How expensive it is it to replace, and how hard is it to replace?

I have one of those 12hp lawn tractors and I limped a battery along for a couple of years that had lost a cell. I'd hit it with an old school charger to get it up high enough to start. Eventually though even that didn't work so I had to replace it. That's a pretty light battery so worst case, if it ran out in the corner of the yard, it wouldn't be that hard to carry it around to charge back up (although usually I could just push the whole works back for a recharge).

iirc the duracell for sams club was an east penn/deka, but no guarantee its the same for mower battery.

whats your next question? Am I going to die eventually? Seems pretty silly question.

if its having trouble starting you should probably pick up a replacement.. if its going good.. wait.

If you have a jump box keep it handy?

Its not like you are crossing the outback and need it to start 500miles out in the bush.

Last edited:
If you got 5 years out of the battery in your mower, it doesn't owe you a thing.
I have had my riding mower since 2003, and have put 4 batteries in it.

I had mine die yesterday. No warning but 2.5 years old and original. I changed out the solenoid last year and everyone including a Master tech said it was battery as original are only supposed to last one season. Anyhow it was 40.00 with taxes. Small enough to carry in middle of yard where I shut off.

A charge top off with my HF floater every so often keeps the 4yr old O'Rielly $19.99 on sale U 1 size . Pleasantly surprised. 3yrs on a U1 is about average.

Why the heck would you replace a perfectly fine working mower battery?

In terms of mower batteries lasting a ridiculously long time for the standard home owner, the key is keeping a float charger on it during the off season like andyd said above. The mower battery in my 2007 craftsman rider is from 2008-09. I keep a $5 HFT trickle charger on it all winter.

Troll title? Of course all batteries die some day.

Unless you're a commercial mower (time is money), under extreme time pressure, or just wealthy and don't care, I would wait until the battery dies before replacing it. But it's your battery, and up to you.

Originally Posted by JTK
Why the heck would you replace a perfectly fine working mower battery?

In terms of mower batteries lasting a ridiculously long time for the standard home owner, the key is keeping a float charger on it during the off season like andyd said above. The mower battery in my 2007 craftsman rider is from 2008-09. I keep a $5 HFT trickle charger on it all winter.

Why? Same reason he lets the machine run all the time till he loads it on his trailor ....Don't make sense.

Last edited:
The lifespan of any Lead acid battery is affected by the heat it is subjected to and its average state of charge. if kept cool and always fully charged 5 years is cakework for the battery. If subjected to a lot of heat, kept an average hot and kept 80% charged or less 2 years is asking a lot of it.

If one has no Idea of these two variables then they cant even presume to guess.

Any lead acid battery less than 100% fully charged, is less happy than it would be if it were indeed fully charged.

Smart battery owners seeking longevity charge their batteries to full, often, and do not let parasitic drains, or self discharge, allow the battery to degrade at a faster rate.

Half wits assume a battery drained to dead often and allowed to sit dead, only needs a charger applied for a few hours to be good as new.

It's what happens in the off season that matters. Maybe Texas heat. Do you now the grass all year long in TX?

I am sure the charging system on your Gravely is not very sophisticated.

Originally Posted by Donald

I am sure the charging system on your Gravely is not very sophisticated.

Of all the charging systems in all the mowers m-o-m's is at the peak of tune!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back