Brake Surge - Lexus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Experiencing brake surge from my Lexus ES, it has OEM front pads and OEM rotors.
The pads have 20K miles on them and unhappy with the surge.
Any recommendations of good non-OEM pads for Lexus (front heavy vehicle) - will flush the lines along with the change!!!

+ 1 Brake surge?

What ever happened to the fine art of actually describing a problem in more than three lines?

Brake Surge - when braking at > 60 MPH the vehicle lunges ahead when the brakes are applied much like the pads don't have the bite.
Checked the rotors and there isn't any scoring that is obvious to the eye or touch.

Interesting, I don't think I've ever had that happen where the vehicle lunges forward on brake application. I have no idea what would cause that.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy
Brake Surge - when braking at > 60 MPH the vehicle lunges ahead when the brakes are applied much like the pads don't have the bite.
Checked the rotors and there isn't any scoring that is obvious to the eye or touch.

Sounds like a lack of bite. Either the pads/rotors are glazed or the slide pins are stuck. The pin with the bushing tends to get swollen on that caliper design.

Brake Surge - when braking at > 60 MPH the vehicle lunges ahead when the brakes are applied

I'd make sure I'm not accidentally pressing the gas with the brake at the same time.
Aside from that it's almost impossible for that to occur.

This is bizarre, but if you believe the pads are at fault, then my only recommendation is to avoid ceramic pads, and possibly to go with semi-metallic ones.

Ceramic pads have less initial bite upon braking, but tend to create less dust.

Semi metallic are dirty, but grab well.

Perhaps the last time pads were installed, they were high performance track pads, racing pads etc. ? Those pads tend to not develop much grip when they are cold- they require a bit of a heat cycle before they start working well. If you replace the brakes, use a formulation specific for street use.

Example- Hawk HP+ pads are the entry level to motorsport pads, but were also popular for sporty cars on the street. The initial bite is not the same as OEM pads. Same for EBC Orangestuff pads- more of a race pad than a street pad.

Its posssible the inner face of the rotor is glazed or rotting away, the dust shield can trap moisture and cause the inner side only to rot. Ive always like Akebono for their low dust and decent initial bite. Otherwise OE dusty pads will offer great initial bite.

Mechanical problem like sticking pins. Hard to hit the highway without a few stops to warm the pads up.

Thanks all for your feedback. These are the steps I am going to use to correct this behavior (vehicle has 87K on the odometer)

a) Remove the rotors and check for glazing - if glazed put front on stands and run the car and use 320 sand paper to sand the front and back surfaces of the rotor
b) Remove the slide pins and check they float, clean the boot and grease cleanly and they install with new grease. Check the boot on the pin.
c) Check the pads for wear and flush the lines whiles the wheels are off.

I intend to preserve my rotors since my Highlander rotors are still going strong w/ 200 K on it.

My wife's es350 has "touchy" brakes. I rarely drive her car but the slightest touch seems way too sensitive for my tastes with no brake feel. She says the brakes are fine so I leave it alone. Don't get me started on the numb electric steering and "go, no go and nothing in between" throttle. I hate that car but she drives it and loves it, so we're good.

When making up names for braking issues you might want to describe them, also there is no way for the vehicle to "surge" ahead when braking..(unless you hit the gas)

and there is a piece of equipment called a Surge Brake.. so probably not the best name.

I'd agree though it sounds like a mechanical issue... I would tear them down and inspect.. plan on having transportation available to go buy parts... or if your brakes are old maybe preorder some pads and rotors online for cheapness.

Regardless it sounds like a serious safety issue so you might want to park it.

My guess, it "feels like" surge because you hit the brakes and brace yourself to prevent from going forward when braking--but when braking doesn't happen you find your self (unconsciously) going backwards because... you were bracing yourself for the braking that was about to occur.

My guess, glazing or pads stuck on the caliper, or other similar reasons. Maybe the pads have given up the ghost, or just the wrong sort (need some heat to get bite). This spring my truck had bad brakes, didn't feel like they were doing much; upon teardown the front pads were stuck to the caliper bracket and just not sliding at all (been sitting too much I guess, plus a local shop had installed and I don't think they used any grease on the pad ears).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back