Shelf life of Gumout fuel injector cleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone out there happen to know what the shelf life of Gumout fuel injector cleaner (poorly stored in high temps) is likely to be? I was out of the country for 5 years and left this with a friend expecting he'd use it... he stuck it in his attic, which I expect was well into the 120F range for 5 summers.

It's not that I'm so cheap I refuse to buy another bottle - I just hate to waste stuff. I'm not so much concerned with how effective it might be, I'm more concerned with whether there might be any detrimental effects to the fuel system after sitting for so long. Anyone out there know enough about the chemical composition of this stuff to comment on whether it might be harmful to just dump it in the tank?

Oh, it's still sealed and looks normal as far as I can tell.

I have noticed that Gumout Regane darkens a little over time.....I doubt it will hurt your engine but it may not be 'full strength' anymore....

Fuel additives do not really go bad, but if they sit for a long time you should shake them because some of the additives will decepate and get separated from the liquid they are stored in.

If the bottles been sealed that whole time, use it... worse case is all the more volatile constituents disappeared long ago and what you have left is the heavy parts and they wouldn't have harmed the engine anyhow once diluted in the tank.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back