What cars did your parents schlep you around in as a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fortunately my son didn't spend too much time in boring bread and butter appliances; he usually rode to work with me in either my Thunderbird Turbo Coupe beater or my Wrangler. Later on he rode shotgun in my MS3 or ‘02. He also got a kick out of some of my press loaners, which included a X5 4.6is, 645i and 335i convertibles, and an E65 B7. Things came full circle a while back when he went with me on an assignment and got to drive an X5M with me for a weekend.

Dad had a series of Mustangs from '64 through '85 with a Buick GS in between. These included a Mustang Cobra II and a truly awful early Fox bodied one. The Mustangs were followed by a T'bird Turbo Coupe which was a decent, fun car but let down by a really cheap interior and was an early example of dumbed down gauges that were basically idiot lights with needles. Mom always had a Ford wagon of some sort.

Not sure where I came from...

Originally Posted by wings&wheels
Dad had a series of Mustangs from '64 through '85 with a Buick GS in between. These included a Mustang Cobra II and a truly awful early Fox bodied one. The Mustangs were followed by a T'bird Turbo Coupe which was a decent, fun car but let down by a really cheap interior and was an early example of dumbed down gauges that were basically idiot lights with needles. Mom always had a Ford wagon of some sort.

Not sure where I came from...

When I was a kid and Dad went on a trip, he'd ask me what I'd like him to bring me; I always told him, "Something with wheels on it." The die was cast when, at nine years old, my folks took me to see Grand Prix in Cinerama. In 1972 I saw an ad in Car and Driver for a BMW Bavaria- a four door six cylinder sedan that cruised at 120 mph. The trajectory of my automotive enthusiasm was set. It would be 11 more years before an E3 would wind up in my garage, but from that point, I never looked back. In 1994 DED Jr. autographed my original copy of Turn Your Hymnals to 2002 with the inscription "No Boring Cars!"
That philosophy has served me quite well.

My Dad, like me, loves cars. Liked having relatively new cars regularly. Here goes, at least what I can remember. Years might be slightly off.

Came home from the hospital in 1981 in a 79 turbo regal. Black on black. Wish he had kept it. From there:

1983 delta 88 two door-moms
1984 Honda prelude five speed-dad
1987 Acura legend coupe-dad
1987 Lincoln mark vii-mom
1989 jaguar xj6-mom
1989 jaguar xjs-dads-loved that v12 but the gm trans went three times so it was replaced with a...
1991 jaguar Xmas-dad
1991 jaguar xj6 Vanden plas-mom
1994 Lexus sc400-dad
1994 BMW 740il-mom
1997 C5-dad
1998 BMW 740-mom
1999 Lexus RX-dad
2001 Audi A6 4.2-mom
2004 VW Touareg 4.2-dad

That's through my college years. Mom and dad both moved onto Audis and Bimmers. Dad had several A/S 5's, Now a Porsche Macan. Mom has had several BMW X3's.

I'm not as well to do, so I slum it in my Honda. Lol

Many great car memories and I was lucky to drive a lot of the cars above. Loved the 740s, the A6, and Touareg. All fun in their own ways. Drove the last S5 my dad had. What a fantastic car.

It's a sickness.

1970 Buick Electra 225 Limited Coupe 455/TH400...Mom's
1970 Oldsmobile 98 Regency Coupe 455/TH400....Dad's

Only real issue was replacing the oil pump in mom's 455 Buick every 5-6 years. Very durable cars when it seemed everyone else in the neighborhood was having major mechanical issues with their late '70's-early '80's vehicles.

My father's cars ranged from a '47 Cadillac, the fastback coupe, in black (no A/C in those days!), to a '58 Impala (he had to have A/C added aftermarket), to a '66 Impala Super Sport, and last to a '74 Chevy Monte Carlo. He liked the big two-doors.

1984 AMC Eagle that was maroon with brown fake wood as a sticker. We required a 4wd/AWD as my former Road was aptly name old ski hill and was maintained by a neighbor who did not believe in salt/sand just the sun.

My earliest memories go back to a yellow Volkswagen Type 3 squareback. I've only seen a few of those around since the one we had. Then we got a '77 Ford LTD II. Almost got to learn to drive on that one but it met an untimely demise. We had a '83 GMC van, which dad bought new with the 6.2 diesel, the first year it was available in a van. I think we must have had one of only a handful built that way, it was hard finding parts that were unique to the diesel. I think I've only ever seen one other GM van of that vintage wearing the 6.2 diesel badge. I remember taking lots of vacation trips and camping out in it since we outfitted it with rear seats and a table that could drop down to a bed. The LTD got replaced with an '88 Pontiac 6000, and about the time I was starting to drive we picked up an '86 Buick LeSabre.

The first car I was old enough to remember was a 66 Ford Station Wagon, later replaced by a 72 Country Squire. Dad always drove a Galaxie or an LTD... he was a Ford guy.

Earliest I can remember:

Father - Ford T Bird with the rocket exhaust and slide away steering wheel, maybe a '63, landau top, fender skirts

Mom - Chevy Impala convertible, red over white, I'm thinking a '61 or 62; traded for the dreaded Oldsmobile station wagon, not the Vista Cruiser model, but the smaller one, seems like it had seatbelts and a "padded" dash which were kind of new things; probably a '66 or '67

Paternal grandfather - can picture it, but don't know what it was, some kind of van like thing, maybe a nomad

Paternal grandmother - Pontiac Catalina, also with the rocket style tail fins, white, a '60 or '61 probably, simply called "the Pontiac"

Maternal grandfather - Lincoln Continental with suicide doors

Maternal grandmother - didn't drive

My first kid tooled around in an '83 turbo coupe T Bird, I got in my last year of school, but she doesn't remember it. Current kid tools around in my G8, or, sometimes, one of the Jags.

Originally Posted by Win
Earliest I can remember:

Father - Ford T Bird with the rocket exhaust and slide away steering wheel, maybe a '63, landau top, fender skirts

Mom - Chevy Impala convertible, red over white, I'm thinking a '61 or 62; traded for the dreaded Oldsmobile station wagon, not the Vista Cruiser model, but the smaller one, seems like it had seatbelts and a "padded" dash which were kind of new things; probably a '66 or '67

Paternal grandfather - can picture it, but don't know what it was, some kind of van like thing, maybe a nomad

Paternal grandmother - Pontiac Catalina, also with the rocket style tail fins, white, a '60 or '61 probably, simply called "the Pontiac"

My first kid tooled around in an '83 turbo coupe T Bird, I got in my last year of school, but she doesn't remember it. Current kid tools around in my G8, or, sometimes, one of the Jags.

So that is 3 of us w/ a connection to the early T'bird Turbo coupe... Yet, you just never see them, I think I've seen more Merkurs recently.

I don't even remember what my paternal grandfather drove. I know he drove, but I can't recall him doing it. He might have stopped by the time I came around. He didn't have a lot of places to go.
wink.gif
I don't think my paternal grandmother drove. My maternal grandparents vehicles were their horses. They never owned an internal combustion engine in their lives. They spent the bulk of their lives without electricity, for that matter.

Now, on my grandfather's farm in the day, there was an old '51 Ford four door in the scrap heap and a late 1940s Ford grain truck. The car wasn't used in my living memory, but the grain truck was used in the 1970s.

Last edited:

So that is 3 of us w/ a connection to the early T'bird Turbo coupe... Yet, you just never see them, I think I've seen more Merkurs recently.

Not a parent, but one of my older cousins was big into Fox bodies in the 1990s, especially Thunderbirds. He had a couple Turbo Coupes.

My cousin totalled at least one of his, and I imagine that happened to quite a few of them. I still see them occasionally. I've seen a wrecked one at Pull-A-Part this year.

My Turbo Coupe was the only one I ever saw, not common around here. I special ordered mine. Fun factoid - when the order book was opened, the turbo coupe could only be purchased with a five speed manual, might have stayed that way for all of the '83 model year.

I haven't seen a Merkur in at least three decades, but I do recall the LM dealer having an XR4 in the showroom for sale. Best I recall, the Merkur had an intercooler that the Turbo Coupe lacked.

first 20 or so years of my life(1979-1999)
Dodge Aspen Wagon
Yellow Super Beetle
1980-ish Olds Delta 88
85 Dodge Omni (Super Stripper model - 4speed, Puegot 4cyl engine, no A.C, No power anything (aside from Brakes), not even a factory Radio. - He did have an AM unit installed. cost a whole $5k new )
89 Chevy Celebrity sedan(2.8l)
93 Chevy Corsica
99 Taurus(Vulcan)
Dad had a Series of Company cars, Couple caprice Wagons, the a fore mentioned Celebrity, which he bought for mom when it was time to turn it in(60k mi), and 4-5 Aerostars.

1976 Chevy Nova 2 door
1975 Buick LeSabre
1976 Buick LeSabre
1978 Ford Econoline Van cargo
1984 Ford Econoline Van cargo
1990 Mitsubishi Mirage 2 Dr Hatchback - our first car with air conditioning
1992 Mitsubishi Mirage Sedan

Originally Posted by Win
My Turbo Coupe was the only one I ever saw, not common around here. I special ordered mine. Fun factoid - when the order book was opened, the turbo coupe could only be purchased with a five speed manual, might have stayed that way for all of the '83 model year.

I haven't seen a Merkur in at least three decades, but I do recall the LM dealer having an XR4 in the showroom for sale. Best I recall, the Merkur had an intercooler that the Turbo Coupe lacked.

My 1984 Turbo Coupe was a manual.

Originally Posted by Win
Earliest I can remember:

I remember those turbo Thunderbirds were rare as hen's teeth even when they were current. They were sweet cars!! Especially the blacked out ones with that red stripe that ran around the entire body.

Originally Posted by MCompact
Originally Posted by Win

My 1984 Turbo Coupe was a manual.

Did yours have the multi articulating Recaro seats?

Mine had them, but I can't recall if I ordered it that way, or if the Recaro's were standard on all of the early turbo coupes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back