2019 Subaru Dual X-Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
What kind of drivel are you spouting? It's plain and clear you don't like Subaru. Why keep pushing the agenda? Are you trying to convince the rest of us that your opinion is worth anything?

It is time to stop this trolling.

Convince? No I am not. I do not try to convince people to do anything.
It is forum, if you do not like it you skip it. I am not trolling. Just bcs you do not like that I think that it is absolute POS of a vehicle, that does not mean I am trolling. Or you take choice of your vehicle personal, as a decision that is always smarter than anyone else. So when people question product you bought, you take that as questioning of your wisdom. Get a grip man.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by benjy
be careful not to blow the CVT!!! big warranty i know + for good reason to buy a manual!!

TFL got into argument with SUbaru over x-mode as they managed to get through Gold Mine trail with cars such as RAV4, but not Outback using X-Mode.
CVT! CVT! CVT!

Yeah, I dunno what the big deal is. CX5 handles it fine, and snow doesn't shut it off. CVT=Fail.
PS Toyo A36's + that muck = fail no matter what's driving them.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bluesubie

ROFL! That hill in the first video looks like a miniature version of my drive-way that I drive every day in my CX5.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by fdcg27
There are none so blind as those who will not see.
This is one of the more reliable trolls in any thread in which the Subaru marque is mentioned.
His use of YouTube as a source of validation tells any reader all they need to know.
Yeah, okay edy, you know more than all of us long-time Subaru owners.
I mean, really?

Well he voted with pocketbook. I voted on 4 Subaru's with mine. Never been stuck once in one. Next time it gets out in the snow I'll make sure I have my tow strap for a CX-5 I need to pull out.

Originally Posted by Al
I couldn't believe how good my '18 forester XT was in X Mode. My 08 Forester was like 2WD in comparison. Its that good.

Subaru digressed in in their AWD in the 2000's and cheapened on certain models with lack of mechanical limited slips etc. Electronics took over to simulate limited slip mechanical center and rear diffs then finally now they are introducing special modes with better programming to work to specific conditions with a selector.

The naming of X-mode is pretty poor my parents have it and don't understand what it is on their 2015 Outback. I said if you get stuck in (steep) short driveway into garage click it. Subaru could have much clearer on what a mode does and is for.

My wife's 2018 VW Tiguan has a few drive modes but at least they are clear like Snow, Offroad, Sport etc to her.

Originally Posted by madRiver
Originally Posted by Al
I couldn't believe how good my '18 forester XT was in X Mode. My 08 Forester was like 2WD in comparison. Its that good.

Subaru digressed in in their AWD in the 2000's and cheapened on certain models with lack of mechanical limited slips etc. Electronics took over to simulate limited slip mechanical center and rear diffs then finally now they are introducing special modes with better programming to work to specific conditions with a selector.

The naming of X-mode is pretty poor my parents have it and don't understand what it is on their 2015 Outback. I said if you get stuck in (steep) short driveway into garage click it. Subaru could have much clearer on what a mode does and is for.

My wife's 2018 VW Tiguan has a few drive modes but at least they are clear like Snow, Offroad, Sport etc to her.

Well X-Mode as I understand it just lowers the gear ratio and enhances front/rear coupling. Not all older subarus had the rear lsd differential. Most were open. But neither of them can compare to the newer subarus. As soon as a wheel slips power is automatically transferred to a non slipping wheel which means it is effectively true AWD. Or at the very least the 2 wheels that have the most traction get the power.

I don't understand why you need to say Snow, Offroad, Sport, etc. On subaru it just does what it needs to do to get through whatever.

In the worst of the snow I never needed X-Mode.

Originally Posted by Al

Well X-Mode as I understand it.....
I don't understand why you need to say Snow, Offroad, Sport, etc. On subaru it just does what it needs to do to get through whatever.

You proved my point as you are not fully clear what x-mode is or understand implied purpose. The naming is poor for average Subaru owner. At least deep snow/mud makes sense.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Originally Posted by benjy
be careful not to blow the CVT!!! big warranty i know + for good reason to buy a manual!!

TFL got into argument with SUbaru over x-mode as they managed to get through Gold Mine trail with cars such as RAV4, but not Outback using X-Mode.
CVT! CVT! CVT!

What?!?!?
The AWD system in my old RAV4 V6 was crude as [censored]...it loved to bring the back end around on ice.
The front wheels would slip and then ALL the power went back to the rear....WHOOOSHHH here comes the back end of the car wanting to trade places with the front!
The workaround was to punch the electronic 4WD drive button first and then it would behave...until it shut itself off at 25mph.
It got me around in winter, but it was hardly sophisticated...the system in my FXT eats its lunch AND dinner.
Maybe they improved the RAV4's AWD when they dumped the V6 option that was the only thing that made the vehicle possibly worthwhile to me?

You can easily find on Youtube. RAV4, BMW X3, VW Atlas etc, etc. all made it up. Nissan pathfinder and Mitsubishi gave up due to CVT cutting off, only recently they managed to get OB over last obstacle after like 10 attempts and not using same measurement. All other vehicles made it with two wheels in the air, OB made it with all on the ground as CVT was cutting off if wheels were up, X-Mode or not.
I know what kind of AWD RAV4 has. I have similar in Sienna, it is probably least sophisticated on the market. However, with snow tires I was dancing aaround Subaru's in snow that had all seasons. Whether AWD in RAV4 is POS or not, it made it up.

I poked around on YouTube and see that this is a totally different type of test than the ice situation I was talking about....I guess I probably would have bought a Trailhawk if I was a rock climber, even though my test drive of a more standard Cherokee V6 was distinctly unimpressive. I could actually see a simple front/rear AWD like in my old RAV4 doing well on that kind of rock climb.
Is the power cutting off with wheels up really related to the CVT? I know that the "top of the line" Outback AWD system in the '90s had a reputation for doing absolutely nothing if it found that all 4 wheels were lacking in traction...talked to a guy at a dealer and he said one was delivered on an icy day and it just wouldn't move at all on their untreated parking lot. By contrast, I found myself totally buried in snow in my cheapo Outback when I tried to be a good Samaritan helping somebody who had spun off the road and pulled onto a shoulder that turned out to be a steep dropoff disguised by feet of snow....thought I was going to need a tow, but 10-15 minutes of finagling actually led to me getting out on my own. I could actually feel the diagonal power shifts in the AWD as I struggled, not quite the same as being deposited on a sheet of ice but I'd bet the fancier Subaru AWD of that time would have also been bamboozled by the predicament I got myself into.

Originally Posted by Al

Well X-Mode as I understand it.....

You proved my point as you are not fully clear what x-mode is or understand implied purpose. The naming is poor for average Subaru owner. At least deep snow/mud makes sense.

I have to admit that I started reading about X-Mode in my FXT manual and my eyes glazed over quickly.
I honestly don't know what it is for, which I probably why I didn't like what happened when I switched it on before going downhill on an icy day.
I have found that paddle shifting works outstandingly well for me in bad winter conditions, but I should probably be ashamed that I have had my car for over 5 years and don't know anything about one of the options I paid good $$$ for.

Originally Posted by Al
Originally Posted by Al

Well X-Mode as I understand it just lowers the gear ratio and enhances front/rear coupling. Not all older subarus had the rear lsd differential. Most were open. But neither of them can compare to the newer subarus. As soon as a wheel slips power is automatically transferred to a non slipping wheel which means it is effectively true AWD. Or at the very least the 2 wheels that have the most traction get the power.

Other do that too. They can transfer power to wheel that has more traction.
By the way, VW Alltrack has elector-mechanical partially locking front differential. It is developed for Golf GTI to minimize understeer (and does that really good). But in Alltrack it also helps with AWD function.
I am not sure whether Tiguan or Atlas have VAQ (German designation for that front differential).

Some hate for Subaru in this thread, rather odd.

I can only comment on the 2009 Forester 2.5X 5-speed manaul transmission model I owned and drove for 10 and 1/2 years (until last month) with annual sloppy/slick midwest winters. It absolutely rocked in snow, slush, and freezing rain, never once got stuck, not even when I'd head out for the back roads for some fun when the white stuff was building up and still coming down. I off roaded it when still newish in 2010 at Silver Lake State Park sand dunes on Lake Michigan, the largest sand dunes area east of the Mississippi river. 3000 acres of sand. 2nd year I put decent tires on it for the winter work (Nokian WR's). However, when it went to the dunes it still had the factory stock 16" steelie wheels and Bridgestone Dueler tires. Only got hung up twice in the dunes: 1st time at entrance because didn't deflate tires enough, deflated and dug out, drove out, no prob. Next time was when had to give way to an ATV that crested hill oncoming (orange flags on 15' poles mounted on all vehicles as state park requirement) , not time to think had to jink to the right, and stop on an incline. Dug out no prob, took about half hour though (had brought shorty folding shovels along). Did have to turn off the VDC (stability ctrl) as it kept wanting to cut throttle on any uphill work in the dunes. Should be noted that my Forester, as a stick shift, had the viscous center differential and permanent 50/50 torque split front/rear axles it did not vary the torque split like the 4-speed automatic transmission models did.

There was one Tiguan there that we saw, but they had to be towed out of the dunes. In their defense I think something might have broke and they lost torque to the rear and were rendered into front wheel drive only.

Here's a pic from the dunes, late wife in co-pilot seat.

[Linked Image]

Year after the dunes adventure, upgraded rims to 17" alloys and the Nokian WR's, plus added window tint. This car still brought good money on trade-in last month. Subaru's hold value fairly well.

[Linked Image]

If you can't remember to push the X-Mode button right beside you on the console when you are stuck in the snow. (which is almost impossible)..I suppose Subaru is not for you.
cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

I can only comment on the 2009 Forester 2.5X 5-speed manaul transmission model I owned and drove for 10 and 1/2 years (until last month) with annual sloppy/slick midwest winters. It absolutely rocked in snow, slush, and freezing rain, never once got stuck, not even when I'd head out for the back roads for some fun when the white stuff was building up and still coming down. I off roaded it when still newish in 2010 at Silver Lake State Park sand dunes on Lake Michigan, the largest sand dunes area east of the Mississippi river. 3000 acres of sand. 2nd year I put decent tires on it for the winter work (Nokian WR's). However, when it went to the dunes it still had the factory stock 16" steelie wheels and Bridgestone Dueler tires. Only got hung up twice in the dunes: 1st time at entrance because didn't deflate tires enough, deflated and dug out, drove out, no prob. Next time was when had to give way to an ATV that crested hill oncoming (orange flags on 15' poles mounted on all vehicles as state park requirement) , not time to think had to jink to the right, and stop on an incline. Dug out no prob, took about half hour though (had brought shorty folding shovels along). Did have to turn off the VDC (stability ctrl) as it kept wanting to cut throttle on any uphill work in the dunes. Should be noted that my Forester, as a stick shift, had the viscous center differential and permanent 50/50 torque split front/rear axles it did not vary the torque split like the 4-speed automatic transmission models did.

There was one Tiguan there that we saw, but they had to be towed out of the dunes. In their defense I think something might have broke and they lost torque to the rear and were rendered into front wheel drive only.

[Linked Image]

Year after the dunes adventure, upgraded rims to 17" alloys and the Nokian WR's, plus added window tint. This car still brought good money on trade-in last month. Subaru's hold value fairly well.

[Linked Image]

Tiguan will not do good in situation like that as Subaru will. It is not full time AWD, and it does not have center differential like yours did.
New 4Motion seems like pretty capable especially in Alltrack with that vectoring front differential.
I tried with my Tiguan (previous generation of 4Motion) situation where there was approx. 2ft of wet snow and some mud in the Rockies one spring on a parking lot. Pretty nasty stuff. My Tiguan has in winter narrowest possible tires allowed (215/65 R16) and going through snow with engine hanging over front axle is a breeze. But, in situation like that limits of Haldex AWD system are obvious. So there was some back and forward until I got out (TC off of course). On other hand my BMW X5 35d I had at that time was not as confident in going through snow as Tiguan. Engine pushed back, RWD biased drivetrain, wider tires (winter too). But, in same situation BMW would shoot out of it like nothing. xDrive would figure easily which wheel needs more torque and that is it. Also, xDrive is full time AWD. However, on the road, during any kind of blizzard situation, and I have seen a lot of that in the Rockies as I like to ski in that kind of weather, Tiguan is really capable vehicle. And I think that is the point of Haldex, slick and snow covered roads, maybe some tricky situation, but in more complex situations Subaru is more capable.
On other hand when it comes to road dynamic, snow included, there is no Subaru I would trade for Tiguan.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by LoneRanger

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tiguan will not do good in situation like that as Subaru will. It is not full time AWD, and it does not have center differential like yours did.
New 4Motion seems like pretty capable especially in Alltrack with that vectoring front differential.
I tried with my Tiguan (previous generation of 4Motion) situation where there was approx. 2ft of wet snow and some mud in the Rockies one spring on a parking lot. Pretty nasty stuff. My Tiguan has in winter narrowest possible tires allowed (215/65 R16) and going through snow with engine hanging over front axle is a breeze. But, in situation like that limits of Haldex AWD system are obvious. So there was some back and forward until I got out (TC off of course). On other hand my BMW X5 35d I had at that time was not as confident in going through snow as Tiguan. Engine pushed back, RWD biased drivetrain, wider tires (winter too). But, in same situation BMW would shoot out of it like nothing. xDrive would figure easily which wheel needs more torque and that is it. Also, xDrive is full time AWD. However, on the road, during any kind of blizzard situation, and I have seen a lot of that in the Rockies as I like to ski in that kind of weather, Tiguan is really capable vehicle. And I think that is the point of Haldex, slick and snow covered roads, maybe some tricky situation, but in more complex situations Subaru is more capable.
On other hand when it comes to road dynamic, snow included, there is no Subaru I would trade for Tiguan.

Cx5 does fine snow or sand.

It depends on specific location, tires and sand etc. (That Subaru is in different environment).
I personally would not do it in sand dunes with either Tiguan or CX-5.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

What?!?!?
The AWD system in my old RAV4 V6 was crude as [censored]...it loved to bring the back end around on ice.
The front wheels would slip and then ALL the power went back to the rear....WHOOOSHHH here comes the back end of the car wanting to trade places with the front!
The workaround was to punch the electronic 4WD drive button first and then it would behave...until it shut itself off at 25mph.
It got me around in winter, but it was hardly sophisticated...the system in my FXT eats its lunch AND dinner.
Maybe they improved the RAV4's AWD when they dumped the V6 option that was the only thing that made the vehicle possibly worthwhile to me?

Never had an issue with the rear end kicking out in my V6 Rav4, and this last winter it really got put to the test.

It depends on specific location, tires and sand etc. (That Subaru is in different environment).
I personally would not do it in sand dunes with either Tiguan or CX-5.

Any vehicle that varies torque with clutches is a poor choice for sand, if your goal is all day fun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back