Recent Topics
Man's best friend!
by Mad_Hatter - 08/23/19 06:53 PM
2007 Ford Fusion Cam Pics
by tig1 - 08/23/19 05:31 PM
Cloning a Lexus key
by Nayov - 08/23/19 04:23 PM
2011 GMC Acadia Shock/Strut Replacement
by panthermike - 08/23/19 03:49 PM
Confusion on oil to use on BMW 328i 2010
by goldenjava - 08/23/19 03:21 PM
Oil Confusion for 2010 BMW 328i
by goldenjava - 08/23/19 03:16 PM
ProSelect 27356 cut open
by Sayjac - 08/23/19 03:04 PM
Electrolux - Dryer reliability warning.
by pezzy669 - 08/23/19 02:37 PM
Microfiber Towels for different applications?
by Quattro Pete - 08/23/19 01:53 PM
Coated vs. painted rotors
by atikovi - 08/23/19 01:13 PM
New spark plugs, occasional misfire
by avacado11 - 08/23/19 12:34 PM
clean or replace o2 sensor?
by bionictony - 08/23/19 12:15 PM
Supertech equivalent
by Bettez88 - 08/23/19 12:06 PM
Federated OF Now Made in China
by Mr_Luke - 08/23/19 11:47 AM
Sourcing Particular Brembo Rotors
by RamFan - 08/23/19 11:22 AM
Intermittent Braking Vibration?
by Gebo - 08/23/19 10:59 AM
Northrop B-2 Spirit - First Cockpit Video
by john_pifer - 08/23/19 10:36 AM
ADBV Design - MANN Filter
by LeoStrop - 08/23/19 10:25 AM
Newest Members
goldenjava, Spuzzum, ta249, bobsauto62, Ramz
69044 Registered Users
Who's Online Now
78 registered members (ABerns, Audios, 80Boxcar, 4WD, atikovi, 11 invisible), 1,978 guests, and 25 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums67
Topics293,703
Posts5,045,270
Members69,044
Most Online3,532
Jul 30th, 2019
Donate to BITOG
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil #5166642 07/20/19 07:59 PM
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
D
Denali376 Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Joined: Jul 2019
Posts: 6
I have been reading forums found on Google searches for days looking for a Authentic 100% "Synthetic" engine oil for my 3.5L EcoBoost & my wife's 6.2L LS3 to no avail . I'm not a brand loyalist on any product be it Ford or Chevy vehicles or in this example ExxonMobil vs Chevron products . If it satisfies my needs and is obtainable . I have tried the sought after holy grail Amsoil as well as overpriced (in my opinion) Shaeffers (I may have misspelled it) in my previous Diesel trucks and everything between in my gas engines.

The most difference that I have been able to tell as far as oil changes with different products/manufactures go is filter selection manipulating oil pressure readings . Wix XP oil filters give the LS3 a very slight lifter tick that I don't hear with the mobil 1 and Acdelco oil filters that I have used. The Wix XP filter also makes oil pressure readings higher than other filters making it obvious that the Wix XP filters are more restrictive causing more resistance that shows as higher oil pressure.

I have an oil analysis kit in route from Blackstone Laboratories and will begin my own testing of these so called "synthetic" engine oils and see what they are really made of . If any of yall have some good factual information or experiences other than your opinion of what oil brand you like or worship because a mechanic told you it was the best, or you are drunk on some engine oil products sales koolaid . Spent too much of my time reading opinions and am looking for formulation, numbers and percentages . I enjoy reading oil anylasys .

Have a great Saturday evening everyone. Bo

Humidity+Heat=South Mississippi

Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: Denali376] #5166648 07/20/19 08:04 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
GumbyJarvis Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
You can literally buy 5 gallon pails of Schaeffers for like 150$ on Amazon.
That's 20 quarts for 7.50$/qt plus free shipping.

How is that overpriced? That's on par with a lot of full priced boutique synthetics, shoot it's even cheaper if you find a rep in your area.




2018 RAM 1500 SLT 5.7L HEMI 19K
Schaeffers 5w20 - Mahle OC 614

Disabled US Army Vet
OEF 2013-2014

Stash:
Filters- 11
Quarts- 45
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: Denali376] #5166655 07/20/19 08:12 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
Originally Posted by Denali376
I have been reading forums found on Google searches for days looking for a Authentic 100% "Synthetic" engine oil for my 3.5L EcoBoost & my wife's 6.2L LS3 to no avail . I'm not a brand loyalist on any product be it Ford or Chevy vehicles or in this example ExxonMobil vs Chevron products . If it satisfies my needs and is obtainable . I have tried the sought after holy grail Amsoil as well as overpriced (in my opinion) Shaeffers (I may have misspelled it) in my previous Diesel trucks and everything between in my gas engines.

The most difference that I have been able to tell as far as oil changes with different products/manufactures go is filter selection manipulating oil pressure readings . Wix XP oil filters give the LS3 a very slight lifter tick that I don't hear with the mobil 1 and Acdelco oil filters that I have used. The Wix XP filter also makes oil pressure readings higher than other filters making it obvious that the Wix XP filters are more restrictive causing more resistance that shows as higher oil pressure.

I have an oil analysis kit in route from Blackstone Laboratories and will begin my own testing of these so called "synthetic" engine oils and see what they are really made of . If any of yall have some good factual information or experiences other than your opinion of what oil brand you like or worship because a mechanic told you it was the best, or you are drunk on some engine oil products sales koolaid . Spent too much of my time reading opinions and am looking for formulation, numbers and percentages . I enjoy reading oil anylasys .

Have a great Saturday evening everyone. Bo

Humidity+Heat=South Mississippi

I think there is someone on Kool-Aid.

You hit most hot points in your first post, I'll give you that. It's obvious you're familiar with this site.


1994 BMW 530i, 246K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 420K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 281K
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: Denali376] #5166658 07/20/19 08:15 PM
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 13,418
53' Stude Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2015
Posts: 13,418
Kschachn: you are correct and I suspect troll



Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: Denali376] #5166666 07/20/19 08:19 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
GumbyJarvis Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Originally Posted by Denali376
I have been reading forums found on Google searches for days looking for a Authentic 100% "Synthetic" engine oil for my 3.5L EcoBoost & my wife's 6.2L LS3 to no avail . I'm not a brand loyalist on any product be it Ford or Chevy vehicles or in this example ExxonMobil vs Chevron products . If it satisfies my needs and is obtainable . I have tried the sought after holy grail Amsoil as well as overpriced (in my opinion) Shaeffers (I may have misspelled it) in my previous Diesel trucks and everything between in my gas engines.

The most difference that I have been able to tell as far as oil changes with different products/manufactures go is filter selection manipulating oil pressure readings . Wix XP oil filters give the LS3 a very slight lifter tick that I don't hear with the mobil 1 and Acdelco oil filters that I have used. The Wix XP filter also makes oil pressure readings higher than other filters making it obvious that the Wix XP filters are more restrictive causing more resistance that shows as higher oil pressure.

I have an oil analysis kit in route from Blackstone Laboratories and will begin my own testing of these so called "synthetic" engine oils and see what they are really made of . If any of yall have some good factual information or experiences other than your opinion of what oil brand you like or worship because a mechanic told you it was the best, or you are drunk on some engine oil products sales koolaid . Spent too much of my time reading opinions and am looking for formulation, numbers and percentages . I enjoy reading oil anylasys .

Have a great Saturday evening everyone. Bo

Humidity+Heat=South Mississippi



Theres a whole forum full of UOAs and VOAs, eat your heart out. Those are factual, not opinions


2018 RAM 1500 SLT 5.7L HEMI 19K
Schaeffers 5w20 - Mahle OC 614

Disabled US Army Vet
OEF 2013-2014

Stash:
Filters- 11
Quarts- 45
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: GumbyJarvis] #5166668 07/20/19 08:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Theres a whole forum full of UOAs and VOAs, eat your heart out. Those are factual, not opinions

And none of which will let you "see what they are really made of" as this poster has posted.


1994 BMW 530i, 246K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 420K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 281K
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: 53' Stude] #5166672 07/20/19 08:24 PM
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,773
D
demarpaint Offline
Offline
D
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 32,773
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
Kschachn: you are correct and I suspect troll

Looking like that to me too.


God Bless Our Troops

Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: kschachn] #5166677 07/20/19 08:29 PM
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
GumbyJarvis Offline
Offline
Joined: Aug 2011
Posts: 2,108
Originally Posted by kschachn
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
Theres a whole forum full of UOAs and VOAs, eat your heart out. Those are factual, not opinions

And none of which will let you "see what they are really made of" as this poster has posted.


*Most major oil companies post Safety Data Sheets as well as Product Data sheets that will show you the makeup of the oil


2018 RAM 1500 SLT 5.7L HEMI 19K
Schaeffers 5w20 - Mahle OC 614

Disabled US Army Vet
OEF 2013-2014

Stash:
Filters- 11
Quarts- 45
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: Denali376] #5166679 07/20/19 08:32 PM
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,098
G
Garak Offline
Offline
G
Joined: Dec 2009
Posts: 28,098
If you're looking for a 100% technical synthetic with an ILSAC rating, you're not going to be finding many. Irrespective of grade, technical synthetics are likely to be costly, except for a couple HDEOs. I've never heard of the Wix XP being restrictive. Blackstone will not be able to tell you anything about the base stocks and you won't have anything with which to inscribe on the tablets and bring down to us.


Plain, simple Garak.

2008 Infiniti G37 - Shell ROTELLA T6 Multi-Vehicle 5w-30, Wix 57356
1984 F-150 4.9L - Quaker State GB 10w-30, Wix 51515
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: GumbyJarvis] #5166684 07/20/19 08:35 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
Originally Posted by GumbyJarvis
*Most major oil companies post Safety Data Sheets as well as Product Data sheets that will show you the makeup of the oil

They will give you a rough idea sometimes. But approvals, specifications and licenses are the only reliable metrics to tell what an oil is really made of in terms of real-world performance.


1994 BMW 530i, 246K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 420K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 281K
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: Denali376] #5166685 07/20/19 08:38 PM
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 10,408
PimTac Offline
Offline
Joined: Mar 2017
Posts: 10,408
It’s a lost cause. Nobody knows what the oil composition is except the oil companies and they are not telling. Even on a remote chance if you found out the recipe it won’t matter anyway. The oil companies are always reformulating the oils to meet new specs.

Fishing on hot days tends to be fruitless.

🛥🎣


2017 Mazda CX5
Havoline Pro DS 0w20
Roki OEM filter.
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: PimTac] #5166696 07/20/19 08:48 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
Originally Posted by PimTac
Fishing on hot days tends to be fruitless.

🛥🎣

It's a slow Saturday night out on the ranch, y'all.


1994 BMW 530i, 246K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 420K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 281K
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: Denali376] #5166768 07/20/19 09:58 PM
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,314
C
csandste Offline
Offline
C
Joined: May 2002
Posts: 2,314
And when you pay for that Blackstone test, remember their chief guy has said he can tell no difference between oils and uses the cheapest approved Group II that meets specs that he can find.


2017 Kia Soul Plus-- VWB 5w30 65,000 miles
Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: Denali376] #5166783 07/20/19 10:21 PM
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 13,869
C
CT8 Offline
Offline
C
Joined: Oct 2014
Posts: 13,869
With the same specs oil is oil.

Re: Authentic 100% Synthetic 5W30/0W40 engine oil [Re: csandste] #5166787 07/20/19 10:22 PM
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
K
kschachn Offline
Offline
K
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 12,006
Originally Posted by csandste
And when you pay for that Blackstone test, remember their chief guy has said he can tell no difference between oils and uses the cheapest approved Group II that meets specs that he can find.
Which makes complete sense, Blackstone does not test oils for such performance parameters.


1994 BMW 530i, 246K
1996 Honda Accord, 280K
1999 Toyota Sienna, 420K
2000 Toyota ECHO, 281K
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

BOB IS THE OIL GUY® Powered by UBB.threads™