Which 0W20 to slow use

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wouldn't "waste" the money on Amsoil if you're having to add a quart every 1500 miles. That will be super expensive with no real benefits. To me, Amsoil really only makes financial sense if you can do the oil change and not have to add any new oil until you're draining it. If I were in your shoes, to keep the cost down and still protect the engine:

Buy QSUD 5w30 jugs from Walmart
Use Fram Ultra filter
Add 1 quart every 1500 miles
Change filter every 20k

Never perform a "normal" OCI again because your sump is being turned over about every 7k miles anyway since you are constantly refreshing the additives and TBN. Your engine will still be protected just fine.

You can find 0w30 M1 AFE at wally pretty cheaply and easily if you want to go that route

Originally Posted by lukejo
2012 Camry. 199,000 miles. All highway driving. Having to add 1 quart every 1,500 miles. No leaks. Have tried both PP and M1 in EP and AP, and usage was the same.
If I want to stay in grade, do you think any other brands would do any better?

See signature. Valvoline Restore before Illinois winter arrives. Then EDGE HM 0W20 from Walmart. Your problem is obviously piston ring coking and/or valve stem seal wear.

The EDGE has a low phosphorus add pack, just like green bottle HM. Constantly top off and pass smog checks. That's what I see in your future.

I have lived this several times. Toyota 4 bangers start consuming oil around 150k-250k miles. I have logged 1.5 million miles + on Toyota 4 bangers. Your engine has a high propensity for this issue.

My $0.02 ...

My Accord burns about a quart every thousand. It's extremely consistent and the brand/weight seems to make no difference at all. I've tried conventional, synthetic blend, synthetic, 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 with no difference. I assume it's due to the oil control rings and as such, the weight really shouldn't make a difference based on my research. Granted, mine has over 3 times as many miles as yours. No leaks or visible burning aside from some discoloration on the bumper. I had a Scion tC before this with the notorious 2AZ-FE ring issue and the brand/weight also made no difference in that car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back