Castrol Magnatec 0w-20 - 16 Tundra - 6,175 miles *Heavy towing*

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a disclaimer, this report is not from my own personal vehicle, it's from a work colleagues I wanted to share; he was curious to see what his results would be on his truck after discussing my own UOA's over the years that I've done on my own vehicles.

This sample on his 2016 Tundra saw some 5,500 miles of towing a 5th Wheel RV weighting in at roughly 14,000 lbs loaded on a vacation trip that saw the Smoky Mountains. Additional details are he changes oil every 5,000 miles since it was was purchased brand new, although this trip he went over a little, along with BG MOA oil additive used every other oil change (this one not being that oil change, but the previous oil change) also using Castrol Magnatec 0w-20 from a bulk tank, and, he is also by no means easy on his vehicles towing, or not towing, as it's his daily driver too.

OilReport.JPG

I'm no expert on UOA's but IMO that's either an excellent engine or an excellent oil....probably both...
I guess the moly is from the BG additive?

So much for the theory that thin oils=heavy engine wear!! This one throws that theory right out the window! Of course, it is Castrol Magnatec, so that's a (good) factor as well. I wish AZ & AAP would give away the 5W30 Magnatec like they did the 5W20 & 0W20-I would use it in EVERYTHING gasoline powered!

That's impressive! I'm passing this along to my folks who bought a 5.7 Tundra to pull a camper and are concerned about the 0W20 in it.

Originally Posted by pbm
I'm no expert on UOA's but IMO that's either an excellent engine or an excellent oil....probably both...
I guess the moly is from the BG additive?

Yes, it appears to be from the BG additive: although the calcium value seems a bit low for it, would of been nice to see this sample be the oil change he added it to, instead of the time he skipped it.

Originally Posted by Char Baby
From the report, your friend can go further on the OCI. How much further? IDK!

The OCI from the manufactures calls for 10,000 miles, not 100% sure if the verbiage in the owners manual calls for less under severe usage that this truck sees (I'm sure it does), I would have to look it up, but knowing him, he's not going to extend the drain interval based on the data provided.

Originally Posted by buster
Toyota quality.

Originally Posted by dave123
One of the reasons I bought a 5.7 Tundra

Toyota quality no doubt, my parents having had a few trucks from the domestic side of the competition, after purchasing a 15 Tundra 1794 edition that they have nothing but good things to praise about, have said they won't go back.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
So much for the theory that thin oils=heavy engine wear!! This one throws that theory right out the window! Of course, it is Castrol Magnatec, so that's a (good) factor as well. I wish AZ & AAP would give away the 5W30 Magnatec like they did the 5W20 & 0W20-I would use it in EVERYTHING gasoline powered!

I concur, I had mentioned to him in the past, that he may want to consider not using the 0w-20 oil, and switch to a more stout oil of higher viscosity for the towing he planned on doing. What he's towing now is a upgrade from a travel trailer he had before, he wanted something bigger, an RV layout only a 5th wheel could offer, along with a more stable towing experience compared to it's travel trailer counterpart, so when that happened, I had also mentioned to him he may want to consider buying a bigger truck, a diesel one specifically from the big 3, to have something more suited for the job of towing assuming the Tundra wasn't capable of it. Well when he sent me this sample, it was one of those " insert foot in mouth" scenarios, I couldn't of been more wrong in my statements to him.

Some additional information for those interested that I didn't mention, first off this isn't a one use case scenario towing once in a blue moon type thing, hes been towing from day one with it 2-3 times a year with it. He's done a few modifications to both the trailer, and the truck to have a better towing experience most of which are braking upgrades, none of which skew the numbers on the engine oil sample fyi.

The 5th wheel trailer (Chaparral 370FL) has upgraded disc brakes on both axles from the drum brakes it originally had.

Tundra has upgraded rotors & brake pads, and rear air ride suspension (with a PSI gauge built into the center console with a toggle switch to adjust on the fly) to accommodate the extra weight.

Now, the engine holding up is one thing, as far as the transmission holding up longevity wise is another topic up for debate, but in regards to that; I would have to ask him, but I'm certain it was replaced at 30,000 miles with BG Premium Full Synthetic ATF, along with BG ATC Plus Automatic transmission Conditioner additives at the time of replacement. Hes also got a ScanGauge II that he uses to monitor transmission temperature when towing, when towing up steep grades says that transmission temp stays at the 200F mark out of overdrive & Tow/Haul mode, and has no issues towing while maintaining a decent speed even up grades.

A picture is worth a thousand words they say, so here it is, and well for any doubters.

IMG_5660.JPEG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by PimTac
One almost needs a CDL for driving a rig like that.

One would assume so, yes, especially since for those that can barely drive a regular car, let a alone something that's X amount in length, and weights X amount have the ability to get behind the wheel with absolutely no experience. Unfortunately, for personal recreational vehicles the laws are relaxed compared to commercial requirements when it comes to towing. It depends on the state on what requires a certain CDL, but for the majority of them, as long as the GVWR (gross vehicle weight rating) between the tow vehicle & trailer doesn't exceed 26,000 lbs you don't need to get a CDL. Without getting into to much detail since there is really that much variation by state, you would have to look it up your self to get all the details, some which require either a commercial drivers license, and some that require a non-commercial license to tow a RV, some examples are you are required to have a CDL if you are towing more than one trailer, like a RV with a boat behind it in certain states, another being you to have one if you are towing something more than 40 feet that requires a non-commercial special drivers license, while in another state you need a commercial CDL for a combined vehicle length exceeding 45 feet. As far as his knowledge regarding the issue, he is well aware of where he can go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by CT Rob
Id love to know what his combined weight is. and the trucks weight with the trailer on it.

From what he tells me, 21,100lbs truck & trailer combined weight.

Last edited:
As far as engine wear, that's very good for such use. Probably no surprise; the 5.7L is a great engine from them.

Allow me to now heap shame upon your friend, because frankly, he deserves it.

As far as the load, Tundra's don't have a very large payload capacity (relative to some other brands), and I can assure you that application is over any rating Toyota would approve.

Using their official website: https://www.toyota.com/tundra/2019/features/weights_capacities/8261/8252/8375

Looking at various combinations I see that max payload is 1660 lbs.
Max towing for a CrewMax 4x2 is 10,100lbs and 8,80lbs for 4x4.

Here's the data on the RV: https://coachmenrv.com/fifth-wheels/chaparral/370FL/2149
It is nearly 12k lbs unloaded !!! And the hitch weight is 2200 lbs.
And the unsung hero here are the tires under the truck. I suspect they are way over taxed. Assuming he's using typical P-rated truck tires, he's just asking for problems.

Toyota makes very reliable vehicles and nice trucks. I'm not knocking them. But the use of that truck with that RV is borderline irresponsible and would be a big problem should he cause an accident that injured someone. Airbags are the crutch of the foolish when it comes to payloads. All airbags do in the suspension system is apply the ability to level the truck; they do NOT, IN ANY MANNER, increase the ability of the truck to handle greater loads past the engineering intent. Airbags don't make the frame stronger. Airbags don't make the wheel bearings bigger. Airbags don't make the wheels beefier. No matter how much he wants to rationalize it, he's over-taxing that truck. Can the engine handle it? Probably so. But the chassis was never made to take that kind of load. Google some of the YT vids showing how the Tundra frame flexes under heavy loads, etc. Again - Tundras are great trucks and I like them. But they are NOT appropriate for the load he's put it under and he's risking damage and injury by doing so. Assuming he's got the 4x4 version, then the GVWR of the RV is 65% larger than his max tow rating !!!

As far as I can tell, the CrewMax is only available with the 5.5' bed. By the time the 5vr hitch is installed, it's very likely to be (at best) over the axle and probably actually a slight bit behind. That unloads the front wheels. Not good. Not good at all. And yes, I realize there are cam'ed sliding hitches allowing tighter turns. But you cannot cheat the laws of physics. The pin weight is supposed to be ahead of the axle, not over it or (worse yet) behind it.

Is it impressive that the truck is surviving? Yes.
Am I impressed at your friend's exploits into the RV'ing world? Not in the least. He's risking himself and those he travels around. From a fellow RV'er, please tell him to step up to a truck that befits the RV.

Last edited:
IDK. We'll never find out what you might have done with Amsoil Signature Series and a bypass filter...2ppm Fe ?

J/K. Great UOA. Great truck/engine. Tundras and Magnatec...very impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back