What would you like to do in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Near or far...

I'd like to have my own place, with some sort of enclosure to house some shop tools and a small lift. I'd use this to service my own vehicle and possibly do service work, like brakes and oil changes, on the side. I'd like to have a brake lathe so I could make money at turning rotors and drums.

I've seriously considered just building a small shop with a single room apartment built in. Simple and efficient.

I'd like to just continue doing what I'm doing.

In the very near term, I'd like it to be a little cooler here on the mountainside in Morrison, Colorado, today and tomorrow.

Be alive.

For some reason, I think that I want to do some massive road trips to see the U.S. at a slow enough pace to catch the local flavor of both country and city. An "adventure" or two, or three.

Work on a great lakes ore boat for a season?

Spend a winter in Barrow Alaska?

Attend spring break in Florida?

My wife's health issues makes this nearly impossible at the moment. After that, we'll be dead, LOL. Like 02SE - we're content in our current lifestyle and are not dwelling too hard on any bucket list.

Build a 1.5 or 2-story home no larger than 3k sqft with standing ridge metal roof and detached 3-bay garage with a two-post lift.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Build a 1.5 or 2-story home no larger than 3k sqft with standing ridge metal roof and detached 3-bay garage with a two-post lift.

That'd be pretty cool!

Right now I'm focused on the near future and moving into a new-to-me house. Working on getting closing dates lined up for buying and selling (we're under contract both ways). Looking forward to the move and getting a garage which I can do at least some work in; wife is excited about having the house we wanted in the first place (we "settled" into a starter home nearly 15 years ago, and it's been a source of friction for nearly that long).

Long term, dunno. I guess I'd like to be just happy to wake up the morning, get a day's work in at the office, ride my bicycle often, enjoy some good friendship. Maybe in another decade I'll get some new goals for life, but until then, pay the bills, save for retirement. Maybe in retirement we can do some roadtrips and see the country.

I have been enjoying life so much when I stopped dwelling on past or worry hugely about future and enjoyed here and now.

I will keep doing that and get out debt ($100k mortgage) and wake up free and clear.

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

That'd be pretty cool!

Right now I'm focused on the near future and moving into a new-to-me house. Working on getting closing dates lined up for buying and selling (we're under contract both ways). Looking forward to the move and getting a garage which I can do at least some work in; wife is excited about having the house we wanted in the first place (we "settled" into a starter home nearly 15 years ago, and it's been a source of friction for nearly that long).

Long term, dunno. I guess I'd like to be just happy to wake up the morning, get a day's work in at the office, ride my bicycle often, enjoy some good friendship. Maybe in another decade I'll get some new goals for life, but until then, pay the bills, save for retirement. Maybe in retirement we can do some roadtrips and see the country.

Congrats ! I should've said "standing SEAM metal roof".

Get some property in upstate ny on a lake, build a small A frame cabin with loft. Try to keep it as off the grid as possible.

Originally Posted by Audios
Get some property in upstate ny on a lake, build a small A frame cabin with loft. Try to keep it as off the grid as possible.

Nice

Keep doing what we're doing. We do what we want, how we want, when we want to do it.

My wife is 56 and I'm 57. We both retired almost 2 years ago after a lifetime of hard work, smart investments and frugal living. Everything we have is paid for-no mortgage, no credit card debt, no car payments. Haven't had any debt for about 25 years now.

My desire is not to work on vehicles, it's to drive and enjoy them. We also like to spend a lot of time at our condo on the Gulf in Orange Beach. We're both in excellent health and are working to keep it that way.

Trying to appreciate "the now"-- so much of the fun in life is planning stuff, and at my early 40's, knock wood, it's starting to pay off.

I'm slightly bummed to have built a "normal" 2 car garage with low ceiling, but then they invented the Quick-Jack. Garage is outside our bedroom window and the wife didn't want it to cast a shadow on the house.
lol.gif

I bet you can find a brake lathe for free that a dealership is just throwing out because noone knows how to run it.

Keep my 8 month-old napping for more than 15 minutes at a time....

I've gone in three times so far to comfort her back to sleep. The room is at 75F and she's got a fan, so there should be no excuses! :p

Have enough time to do the things I need without sacrificing the time to the things I want. And land, everything else I either have, or minor enough for it to not be a worry.

Spend more time with the nephews and hopefully live in North Carolina instead of "communist-wealth of PA"

That and retire in my early 50's as I didnt waste a lot of money while in the service and after I got out
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back