Weird brakes on 1996 Buick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Having issues with brakes on 1996 Buick Century. Brakes seem to work fine when initially stopping from normal driving speed however when getting under 20 miles per hour to a complete stop they pulsate. I had the booster replaced not to long ago and front pads look ok. Any ideas??

You are going to have to check everything. Check where the rotor hat meets the hub, can't be any rust. Make sure the slide pins are smooth and lubed. The rotors could have runout, so could the tires. Even the wheel bearings are suspect on that age car.

Also loose suspension components, like ball joints tie rods etc.

Last edited:
Also check for an un-obvious bad ABS sensor because the dummy light on your dashboard may be dead after all these years.

Originally Posted by bullwinkle
Warped front rotors?

That would be my first guess. Warped front rotors or too much pad material on the rotors is usually the first reason the brakes pulsate. If pads/rotors are cheap, just throw on a new set. Those other items mentioned could also be it of course.

If they only pulsate when coming to a stop from that slow of speed and don't pulsate at higher speed I would look into a wheel speed sensor issue due to corrosion.

I had a rear rotor warp because of a severe pothole impact on the interstate at 60mph.
Never in 50+ years of driving have I seen this.
Both front and rear wheels on the passenger side impacted the hole, but only the rear had damage.
No tire, wheel, or suspension damage.
Very strange phenomenon, but I did all the work myself and verified the warped rotor.

Start with the easiest thing to check: lug nuts. Are any loose? Are they all tightened correctly?

Originally Posted by mattd
If they only pulsate when coming to a stop from that slow of speed and don't pulsate at higher speed I would look into a wheel speed sensor issue due to corrosion.

Yep, wheel sensor(s). Very common issue on these. It needs to be fixed; it adversely affects stopping distance. The ABS thinks the wheel is locking and reduces braking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back