Oregon highway 101 and Subarus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Somebody needs to tell all the WRX and STI modders that they drive like a bunch of grannies!!

;^)

Didn't mention the BRZ because I have never seen one...

The 3.6 and Turbo models do fine, but the 4 cylinder NA models are slow...add 3 passengers and some gear, and you are lucky just to keep up with traffic.

We had a 2014 Outback 2.5L, nice car - but it only took one trip through the Adirondacks loaded with people and gear to make me look for something else.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi
Somebody needs to tell all the WRX and STI modders that they drive like a bunch of grannies!!

;^)

When Subaru was focusing on WRX and Sti and generally fun cars to drive, they almost went bankrupt. They rightly so figured out that there is huge customer base that is in vegetative state, and will buy cars that fits that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by gathermewool
There will always be left-lane campers. Add a higher proportion of a certain vehicle make and it's easy to make inaccurate assumptions. Is that possible in this case?

Yep. Especially down here in winter time when snowbirds head south and insist driving at 45 miles per hour on the highway.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by gathermewool
There will always be left-lane campers. Add a higher proportion of a certain vehicle make and it's easy to make inaccurate assumptions. Is that possible in this case?

Yep. Especially down here in winter time when snowbirds head south and insist driving at 45 miles per hour on the highway.

You guys have that without snowbirds.

;^)

I'm seeing more and more senior citizens driving Audi and VW. This has happened during the last couple of years.

Originally Posted by PimTac
That is typical for Oregon 101 in the summer. The best thing to do is enjoy the drive and don't worry about it. The biggest problems are usually the construction zones repairing winter damage.

If you are in a hurry, 101 is not the route for you.

100% fact. After moving from a Midwest state where everyone always wants to be one car ahead, tailgates, is in an epic, rage filled hurry, rolls through every stop sign even if you stopped first and then flips you the bird for going because it's your turn, has 3 extra cars turn left on red because they're more important than your green, I've enjoyed driving in Oregon, personally. Slow and respectful, comparatively. They follow the rules of the road and enjoy life.

I've concluded with all the weed everyone is just calm and enjoying life. But truth, 101 isn't a road to use if you're on a timeline. Especially in the summer months. Look at the ocean, take a deep breath, and chill out. You're in Oregon. When in Rome...

The Oregon coast is beautiful and we go several times a year, but we've learned (since our kids grew up) to avoid it between June 15 and August 15. Just too crowded and the shoulder seasons are much more relaxing and the weather is more interesting.
Speaking of Subarus, you can count the pastel colored Crosstreks by the hundreds in any I-5 traffic jam.

Originally Posted by Exhaustgases
All new Subaru's need to be powered down, too much power is going to kill the CVT too fast, they don't want to have to replace them every few months under warranty.

The CVT is built to support the required power. If they wanted more powerful NA engines, they'd just install the high-torque CVT like the WRX and FXT.

Oh and I suppose they think the same about head gasket life too. Its called baby it through the warranty.

You mean the head gaskets that can't leak any more, because the coolant doesn't go through them?

I used to live in a town full of bankers, and got so tired of being stuck behind a Porsche or Ferrari doing 40mph...

Originally Posted by emg
\
The CVT is built to support the required power. If they wanted more powerful NA engines, they'd just install the high-torque CVT like the WRX and FXT.

I think a Subaru-ized version of the AA80E or the ZF 8HP70 would have been better behind a FA20/24DIT.

Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by emg
\

I think a Subaru-ized version of the AA80E or the ZF 8HP70 would have been better behind a FA20/24DIT.

Yeah, but price would go up too. And Subaru does not need HP70 version.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by nthach
Originally Posted by emg
\

Yeah, but price would go up too. And Subaru does not need HP70 version.

Correct, an 8hp45/8hp50 would be more than enough.

Originally Posted by Skippy722

Correct, an 8hp45/8hp50 would be more than enough.

I was also factoring in aftermarket tunes as well, maybe a 8HP70 is overkill. The 8HP50 seems like it can work in theory. But really, if Aisin made a tranny for the Touareg and Cayenne with the same longitudinal layout VAG uses for their non-MQB/MLB SUVs and cars with AWD, making a Subaru-specific version of the 8-speed Lexus boxes wouldn't be too difficult.

Another silly trolling thread about Subarus?
Give me a break!
A Subaru will go as fast as the driver cares to run it, just like any other car.
Either of our Foresters makes 177 bhp and either weighs less than 3500 lbs, so either has ample power to be driven as fast as the driver cares to do.
I've personally put enough miles on both cars to assure anyone reading that they are quite as capable of negotiating any highway as well as any other car.
The '09 is governed to around 98 mph while the '17 will easily exceed 100 mph, as I've found in actual use.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
Another silly trolling thread about Subarus?
Give me a break!
A Subaru will go as fast as the driver cares to run it, just like any other car.
Either of our Foresters makes 177 bhp and either weighs less than 3500 lbs, so either has ample power to be driven as fast as the driver cares to do.
I've personally put enough miles on both cars to assure anyone reading that they are quite as capable of negotiating any highway as well as any other car.
The '09 is governed to around 98 mph while the '17 will easily exceed 100 mph, as I've found in actual use.

Foresters are OK for power. Try a Crosstrek. I think my Corolla is faster. But with either a Corolla or Crosstrek, say a prayer before passing on a two lane road. If it's an uphill pass, have a priest with you.

I've never driven one of the two liters, but from what I've read here, they are apparently not especially peppy in typical use.
OTOH, there are many who own these cars who drive them every day. One of the guys at work has a Crosstrek and is pleased with it.
The neighbors across the way were so happy with their first one that they added a second, so they're an all Crosstrek family now.
Had they asked, I would have told them that the Forester was easily worth another two or three grand, but they didn't ask and I certainly wouldn't tell them that now.

;^)

When Subaru was focusing on WRX and Sti and generally fun cars to drive, they almost went bankrupt. They rightly so figured out that there is huge customer base that is in vegetative state, and will buy cars that fits that.

I don't recall that they every really went to a focus on the performance models. Maybe a few commercials here and there, but their bread and butter was always family cars marketed towards longevity and safety.

Originally Posted by y_p_w

;^)

I don't recall that they every really went to a focus on the performance models. Maybe a few commercials here and there, but their bread and butter was always family cars marketed towards longevity and safety.

I think there is huge difference in approach to Outback today and 20yrs ago. Heck those 20yrs ago had more power.

Originally Posted by fdcg27
I've never driven one of the two liters, but from what I've read here, they are apparently not especially peppy in typical use.
OTOH, there are many who own these cars who drive them every day. One of the guys at work has a Crosstrek and is pleased with it.
The neighbors across the way were so happy with their first one that they added a second, so they're an all Crosstrek family now.
Had they asked, I would have told them that the Forester was easily worth another two or three grand, but they didn't ask and I certainly wouldn't tell them that now.

95% of the time, they are a solid vehicle. How often do you ACTUALLY need to use almost 100% power to pass? For me, not often. However, after just driving 5K miles on a roadtrip, the huge weakness of a Corolla (and Crosstrek) is expecting to be able to get up to speed while going up any type of hill. They are absolutely sluggish and rev to about 5-6K RPMs as they struggle to accelerate. Their huge lack of power is glaringly obvious during the 5% of time you actually need power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back