Mac Pro -- Keep Killing Keyboards

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have gone through two Apple aluminum keyboards in the last couple of weeks. They start going wonky and then go dead.

Anyone aware of a virus or malware that might affect them?

Use something else. Probably a bad run from the factory.
I use a mechanical keyboard hooked to my MBP. I remapped the command and option key to the Windows and Alt key.
You go into the keyboard menu on MacOS, easy peasy.
Apples worthless keyboard is looks first, function second.
Mechanical keyboards are 10X better.

Not that I've heard of any malware lately that would do that - but run Malwarebytes (there's a free version for private non commercial use - which has no realtime protection, and 30 days to test the premium for free) to check it out.

Another option: Make sure you have a backup of all your important data - and then install and boot macos from a external harddrive - see if it happens there too. So you can rule out the OS.

Any other USB devices that have issues? Another cheap USB device to try out on the suspected port?

Try another cheap keyboard (I would by a known good working one cheaply scond hand) - see if that fails too.

Apart from that: the money that you invest in a good mechanical keyboard is the best spent money on an input device - personally I really like Unicomp keyboards, which are basically a modern version of the old IBM Type M keyboards. They have a specific Mac model that comes with Mac layout.

AFAIK, the current aluminum keyboard(the one that you recharge using an iPhone charger cable) uses the garbage butterfly mechanism. That's most likely your problem.

If you want wireless and the "Apple Look", find one of the older ones that runs on AAs, which uses the much better scissors mechanism. If wireless isn't mandatory but you still want the look, go for the wired version of that keyboard, which has the novel feature of a numeric keypad
smile.gif

Personally, I don't have much use for any current Apple keyboard(and I'm typing this from a MacBook Pro that is old enough to have scissors). On my Mac Pro(5,1) at home, I use an ancient Apple Extended Keyboard with cream Alps switches(mechanical) via a Griffin iMate. My work Mac Pro(1,1) has a Unicomp Spacesaver M, which is a USB keyboard based on the IBM Model M chassis but with Mac-specific keys. The Model M uses a "buckling spring" mechanism with a distinctive, sharp click and a key feel like no other. I actually prefer the Model M, and keep meaning to buy one for use at home

https://www.pckeyboard.com/page/category/SpacesaverM

BTW, I have used Windows/PC keyboards with Macs before. I've even used 101-key keyboards, although a key remap and some thought is necessary if you're a heavy user of the control/option/command keys(I am).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back