Harley 2014 Street Glide Special 120R engine Red Line 20W60 7500 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Plan to keep motor long term. First UOA for baseline.

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Ester oils are well known for having excessive numbers the first oil change, most likely from cleaning or some other non-harmful action.

I would expect it to rapidly diminish.

As well the bike only has 7500 miles on it. Like Blackstone said, the engine could still be wearing in. Or if he runs it hard with that awesome engine that could increase numbers too.
smile.gif

I don't understand changing Redline oil at 2500 miles. When you drain it keep it clean and send to me, I'll find a use for it for another 4000-5000 miles. LOL.

Bonz, an obsession with clean oil follows me around like a shadow. My daily driver is a bought-new 1992 Chevy K1500 Suburban with twenty-seven years and 401,000 trouble-free miles. Neither the engine, transmission, differentials or transfer case has ever been opened and I attribute that to fresh oil and filter every 3,000 miles (M1 10W30 and M-201 filter). Oil pressure is the same as the day it was driven off the dealer's truck lot and it's nice not to have had a car payment for twenty-four years.

On the motorcycle the break-in oil was changed at 1K miles then at 2.5K, 5K and 7.5K. After break-in Red Line 20W60 was used up until the most recent change and for that 20W50 was used. Red Line is used in all three holes on the motor. I went down in viscosity to see if engine oil temp goes down. Went for a nice ride on Sunday to Big Slicks in Westminster TX and did not notice any change in oil pressure or oil temp in the oil tank. Engine has a lot of mods but is basically a dyno-tuned 120R with +1.5qt oil pan and JAGG fan-assisted 10 row oil cooler.

This motorcycle is going to last me. In fifty-seven years of Harleys this is my only new motor. Previously I always found someone getting a divorce or out of jail and willing to deal. Gonna take care of my big baby.

Last edited:
That bike is set up beautifully! I am just having a little fun on the oil change interval. I'm sure you're putting down 120 ft/lbs or more, that engine works on the edge where a stock motor would barely approach. Being dyno tuned, what were the numbers?

This dyno chart is from the first pulls at 1K miles. 131/131. Tune has been refined since then.
[Linked Image]

Bonz, SGS gearing is factory stock so 60mph in sixth gear is about 2200 rpm.

ETA: Tend to not fixate on speedometer or tach. Things of interest are coolant temp and oil pressure. Old racing habits die hard.

Last edited:
Can't tell based on where the pull starts if you are really pulling less than 75 foot pounds at 2200 RPM? 2600 RPM and you are in the 100 ft/lb club.

For sure oil pressure and coolant temp are critical to survival. Doesn't matter what speed you are running.

120R cam is Harley-Davidspn factory 266E which has 0.658" lift and lobe timing optimized for higher rpm operation. (The cam seems to no longer be available from Harley. It may have been outlawed by EPA a couple years ago when the 120R engine was outlawed.) There are several aftermarket cams available that move the torque curve lower in the rpm band and these cams make more torque at lower rpms than the 266E and are more "driveable" around town. I put up with less low-end torque because the motor runs so good on the road - drop it down a couple gears and it's in the fat part of the curve. At max legal highway speeds you just have to keep rolling back on the throttle, it wants to run.

Nice report, or better said, another boring, HoHum, UOA on the rock bullet proof Harley Twin Cam engine.
I would expect your numbers to be slightly higher due to the higher output of the engine and mods that you have, not anymore different then any engine with mods.

Copper - not an issue or even a thought, every twin cam has higher copper in a new engine.

I love my 103 HO Twin Cam, its been rock solid, repair free for 5 years and 26,000 miles now, I will not even consider the M8 until has the same reputation as the Twin Cam, so far it seems HD has a long way to go on that one.

Im still air cooled and staying that way, HD has missed the mark on the reliability of liquid cooled engines in one of the worst ways.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back