New Honda Super Cub - leaking oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had to take my 2019 Honda Super Cub back to the dealer today. It started last week - seeping a little engine oil from the right side cover. The dripping kept getting worse during the course of the week. I checked the bolts and everything was snug. The side cover has never been off and the oil was not, nor has it ever been, overfilled. I wiped underneath the case this morning with a paper towel and it was wet with oil, not to mention the large spot on the shed floor. It's definitely not coming from the drain bolt, sight glass, or oil fill cap, and only shows up directly underneath the right side cover. There is absolutely no reason for this thing to be leaking oil, especially being so new and only having 1100 miles on it.

Since it's barely over a month old and obviously still under warranty, I'll let the dealer repair it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Probably just the side cover gasket.

My thoughts exactly, but it still shouldn't be a problem on such a new model.

True, but stuff happens during manufacturing and assembly. I've been bitten with similar things on new vehicles. That's why they have a warranty. Let us know what they find.

Back in 1986 my new BMW K75C leaked one of its 4 quarts of oil on my left boot as I drove it home from purchase. A small Allen screw tapped into the oil gallery on the block was not tight.

Can happen to any make.

84 XL 600 bought at base BX leaked from first day thru a void in cyl casting at oil return passage. They figured out needed a new cyl. I didn't want to wait so they gave me another bike. Loved AAFES return policy.

I have a 2014 Honda Forza scooter, it has 2 recalls. There is some evidence that their plant in Taiwan has had some QC problems. I'll bet the super cub is made there.

Originally Posted by rdevans89
I have a 2014 Honda Forza scooter, it has 2 recalls. There is some evidence that their plant in Taiwan has had some QC problems. I'll bet the super cub is made there.

Yes it is. Things happen and I know how it goes.
And it's definitely a warranty issue.

Still aggravating though.
mad.gif

Originally Posted by Lawn_Care
Originally Posted by rdevans89

Yes it is. Things happen and I know how it goes.
And it's definitely a warranty issue.

Still aggravating though.
mad.gif

I remember reading your first post when you bought this motorcycle. Pretty excited to say the least. I'd be disappointed also having a leak in a new low mileage bike. Hopefully it's nothing more than a defective gasket. Keep us updated once it's back from dealer while it's still under warranty.

Isn't this brand new for this year? Maybe still working out some kinks on the new assembly line. First year production is always the most likely to show issues while they figure everything out.

a few months after I got my scooter in 2017 it had a very small leak; warranty covers manufacturing defects so I thought the dealer would cover it & bill the company...well I ended paying for an hour's labor since leaks are not covered; long story short...one of ther engine case bolts came loose...shop retightened it & 'sealed' it with high temp silicone: no problems since...

I'm going through some gasket issues with a BSA my brother and I are restoring. The gaskets are thin and although it's a machined surface, it could have a slight imperfection. In the past I always used #2 Permatex on gaskets (both sides) and that will resolve the problem. We'll take it apart and use a new gasket with Gasket Shellac or something on the gasket as I haven't seen #2 at the parts store for a while. They may not make it anymore, but IDK. This is my guess as to what's wrong with your bike. In the future when it's out of warranty keep this in mind.

Originally Posted by Silverado12
I'm going through some gasket issues with a BSA my brother and I are restoring. The gaskets are thin and although it's a machined surface, it could have a slight imperfection. In the past I always used #2 Permatex on gaskets (both sides) and that will resolve the problem. We'll take it apart and use a new gasket with Gasket Shellac or something on the gasket as I haven't seen #2 at the parts store for a while. They may not make it anymore, but IDK. This is my guess as to what's wrong with your bike. In the future when it's out of warranty keep this in mind.

Sounds like a great application for Hylomar

Was following your original thread where you went with 5w40 Mobil 1 TDT oil from day one vs the spec'd 10w30. Nice to see you getting some miles on it!

I don't understand how the leak took 1100 miles to show up and keeps getting worse?

Sorry for the delayed response, was on an unplanned 'vacation' from BITOG.

The issue was a gasket, and fixed 100% under warranty in a very timely manner.

I almost created a new login ID just to reply back. lol

Last edited:
Lol, now it has been established a dealer won't check the viscosity of the oil when it leaks from somewhere. ...Š

Congrats on getting it fixed! Happy to hear.

My first motorcycle was a C70 passport, my father purchased it for him to ride, and I learned to ride on it. With a full tuck and a long straightaway I could nip up somewhere between 45 to 50 mph depending on the wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back