Your preferred syn or conv oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I usually prefer M1 for my civic and just started my first ever rotation on Castrol Edge for my ranger. I've been wanting to use CE in my civic forever, but M1 has always been on sale for about $22 per 5qt jug or maxlife full synthetic for the same price when CE was full price so I just stick with which ever of those is on sale. I did pick up the CE for the ranger because it was on sale for $22 and with a fram ultra about $30 total for the change. Of course I do keep using fram ultra's, but I may give the wix xp a go after seeing them on sale on rock auto.

I do keep noticing that QSUD is giving me that evil eye when I choose M1 or maxlife over it because of the $5-6 difference in them lol I may have to try it out eventually after reading your guys results with it.

I don't think I have ever used pennzoil in any of my vehicles ever. No particular reason except price or when on sale I reckon.

Liquimoly Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 in my Golf is my only current DIY. Atlas will follow once done with dealer-visits for service campaigns/recalls (easier to just have it done by them at the same time). Ford Focus still on pre-paid dealer changes and will go DIY next year, likely will just use M1 5W20 from Costco on that one.

Originally Posted by NavyVet88
I don't think I have ever used pennzoil in any of my vehicles ever. No particular reason except price or when on sale I reckon.

AMZN had a good deal on PU during the recent Prime sale. Keep your eyes peeled, they have some good deals from time to time on AMZN and WMT. Combine them with a rebate and you can really score.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

AMZN had a good deal on PU during the recent Prime sale. Keep your eyes peeled, they have some good deals from time to time on AMZN and WMT. Combine them with a rebate and you can really score.

I'll have to remember that especially since I am trying to build my stash back up.

Originally Posted by demarpaint

I'll have to remember that especially since I am trying to build my stash back up.

thumbsup2.gif

I usually prefer M1 for my civic and just started my first ever rotation on Castrol Edge for my ranger. I've been wanting to use CE in my civic forever, but M1 has always been on sale for about $22 per 5qt jug or maxlife full synthetic for the same price when CE was full price so I just stick with which ever of those is on sale. I did pick up the CE for the ranger because it was on sale for $22 and with a fram ultra about $30 total for the change. Of course I do keep using fram ultra's, but I may give the wix xp a go after seeing them on sale on rock auto.

I do keep noticing that QSUD is giving me that evil eye when I choose M1 or maxlife over it because of the $5-6 difference in them lol I may have to try it out eventually after reading your guys results with it.

Personally seeing and hearing that M1 doesn't handle some fuel dilution in DI/TGDI engines I would choose PU/PP or EDGE

I use Motul Eco-Lite and Toyota Synthetic. I like the additive packages in both of those oils. I once tried Pennzoil UP and I was surprised to see the vehicle I used it in burn 3.2 quarts between changes. That engine used no oil otherwise.

For syn oils I like the idea of 0w-40. I can't say I have a specific preferred brand, but I do like the Castrol 0w-40s with Euro specs on them. Conventional, I really like the cheap house brand oils. Traveler or Supertech. Two of the vehicles have Traveler in them right now!

In conventional I like just about any non SN rated HDEO in 10w30, 15w30, 15w40. Can be used almost universally across all fleets, killer add pack, killer TBN, robust HTHS. What's not to like?

Synthetic I'm not that picky but I've always liked Valvoline products. That being said I currently have no Valvoline synthetic in my stash. Synthetic stash currently has MileSyn 5w30, Castrol Edge 5w40, HM 10w40, M1 EP 10w30, AP 5w20 and HM 10w40, PUP 5w30, Shell Rotella Gas truck in 5w30 and 0w20, Chevron 5w30 HDEO synthetic, STP 10w30 Synthetic HM. All purchased on clearance/sale or to take advantage of a rebate.

I'm not loyal to any particular brand, but I am a cheapskate so the oil I'll use is the one that I get for the best price. Now, don't get me wrong; I won't buy or use anything that doesn't meet manufacturers specs. In my experience this system has worked well for me and I never had any problems because I used an inexpensive or "on sale" oil.

Originally Posted by PowerSurge
I use Motul Eco-Lite and Toyota Synthetic. I like the additive packages in both of those oils. I once tried Pennzoil UP and I was surprised to see the vehicle I used it in burn 3.2 quarts between changes. That engine used no oil otherwise.

You went from nothing to 3.2 quarts? Wow that's something.

Mostly SOPUS products for our vehicles. Whatever big brand oil is on sale for my friends' vehicles. I build a stash when QSUD and PP is on sale, and use Home Depot sales on Formula Shell for $10 a jug. I'm not fussy in choosing oil, but I stopped dealing with aggravating rebates except Rural King, which always delivers promptly.

Whatever 5W30 conventional SN with API approval that the shop uses. I quit being super picky about oil a decade ago. The indy shop I go to uses Amalie. Prior to this it was M1 0W20 in a 2004 Accord 2.4l 5 speed that got redlined daily. I changed my own oil back then.

I enjoy experimenting and normally end up deciding on a mix of two things. Price and PDS data.

I'll run anything from 5w-20 to 5w-50 in my 5.0 since that what Ford does in varying models, so it keeps it interesting.

If I'm paying full price PCMO and no rebate I buy MAG 1 syn or conv.

Last edited:
Lots of neat interesting ideas here.

I think I failed to mention in my opening post, but I used havoline conventional in my 93 Jeep Cherokee and it saw over 150k additional miles on it when it was sold before I went to boot camp.

There are literally two other active threads in this section asking the exact same questions.... between this and the facial hair threads over in general/off topic, I'd say half of bitog has been on vacation for a month and has cabin fever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back