Which 0W20 to slow use

Status
Not open for further replies.
2012 Camry. 199,000 miles. All highway driving. Having to add 1 quart every 1,500 miles. No leaks. Have tried both PP and M1 in EP and AP, and usage was the same.
If I want to stay in grade, do you think any other brands would do any better?

When my Honda was using almost that much 5w20 I bumped up to 5w30 HM (various brands) and all substantially reduced burning with no fuel economy hit

Try Havoline high mileage or Valvoline Advanced High Mileage 0w20. Both would be in grade with Valvoline Advanced with Maxlife would get nod.

BTW the Australian spec for the Toyota Camry with the 2.5 Litre 2AR-FE VVT-I is 0W20, 5W30, 10W30 or 15W40 take your pick.

Is that the engine you have ?

Originally Posted by SR5
BTW the Australian spec for the Toyota Camry with the 2.5 Litre 2AR-FE VVT-I is 0W20, 5W30, 10W30 or 15W40 take your pick.

Is that the engine you have ?

I believe his is the 2AZ-FE same as in my 2009 Camry

I'd make sure I knew why it was losing oil. A lot of miles? PCV valve? Leaking filter? Some variable valve timing thingy seal like my Honda used to enjoy leaking from? Etc.

If it's just a lot of miles, heavier grade as some said might help. Or HM oil. Otherwise, a quart every 1500 isn't bad for 200k.

If it's from something leaking and not just a wearing engine, then fix that and keep using 0w20.

Try Toyota Synthetic oil. I know it's made by Mobil, but it seems to not burn off at the same rate as Mobil 1. I have an old Honda I use as a daily beater and I never have to add oil between changes and it has over 220,000 miles. My dealer (4.25 quart) sells it a lot cheaper than Amazon.

Last edited:
Does it smoke when you start or while running?

Do you see oil drips on the ground?

Have you changed your PCV ever? That could cause oil consumption as well.

If none of these things apply put some 5W30 in for one OCI or 5K miles and see if the consumption goes down. Maybe a 0W-30 but it is harder to find.

It's a 2AR—FE.
PVC replaced with OEM, made no difference.
Absolutely no leaks.
Never smokes on start-up.
So...do you think it's only consuming oil at lengthy trips of high speed? Again, it's driven lots of miles, all highway of about 70mph.
Rate of oil consumption has not changed for at least 50k miles.
If only burning when it's at speed and never smoke at start-up, would 0w-30 make more sense...at least keeping the 0w part of Toyota's recommendation?
(I know 0w-30 can be hard to find, but we'd just try Amsoil SS since we already use their small engine stuff for our business equipment)

Then again, looking at the SS formulas' chart, their 5w-20 has a NOACK of only 5.8!
(Who knows if NOACK would make any difference in consumption in this situation though...)

as noted 5-30 in winter + 10-30 in summer as the xx-20's prolly wore the engine sooner than a xx-30 would have! as said many times by many people xx-20 is for a minute mpg gain while EPA testing, stop-start is similar!

Originally Posted by benjy
as noted 5-30 in winter + 10-30 in summer as the xx-20's prolly wore the engine sooner than a xx-30 would have! as said many times by many people xx-20 is for a minute mpg gain while EPA testing, stop-start is similar!

Oh brother....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back