Car shopping!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd keep the Camry. If it's gotten rusty it'd still be cheaper to fly further south, find the same model, drive it home, and keep the old one as a parts mule.

Anyhow. I think I'd go Prius. But that's me. You should drive both and figure out which one you'd rather deal with for the next 5 years.

Rough crowd today!

I rent cars Every week. Universally, I dislike Hyundai/Kia. Driving dynamics fall short. And you may may not notice the shortfall until you ask for some performance.

IMO, that is easily the best Camry or even best sedan ever made (1997-2001 models).
Engine is relatively simple to maintain and cheap as you say based on Cost of Ownership.
Non-interference which means if the timing belt broke, it does not ruin the engine.

I had one that I drove till it was more than 200K, sold it to a friend who wrecked it when it was 220K.
Same friend bought another one and they drove it till 450K before they wrecked it.
All the suspension was out by 400K but engine is still purring even with low oil due to oil burning and almost no maintenance (they are not good at maintenance).

My dad has a 2017 Civic LX and he's very pleased with it. Not only does it drive like a more expensive car in terms of ride and handling, he has gotten as much as 45MPG on the highway when coming to visit us. The interior leaves a little to be desired in terms of materials but in terms of the drive (its actually fun and I say this as a BMW driver), efficiency, and reliability you really cannot beat a Civic with the 2.0L engine.

I would keep the Camry for a while yet. You don't know if this job will work out, and you don't suddenly want car payments if it doesn't.

Camry's are reliable cars; it should go fine for a while yet.

I work at a Chryco dealership; and drive an old Kia. No rush to buy one of the 'their' cars.

Gotta love it!!

Once again the OP asks a fairly specific question and gets replies all over the map plus free unsolicited financial advice.

Go BITOG!

I guess it shows my age but I always think when you work at a dealer you should try to drive what you sell (or fix). Maybe nobody at dealerships care a lick about that today.

OP, you're a buy and hold guy it looks like. Get what you think you'll be happy with for 10 years.

Just keep driving your Camry LE, you will never save enough money with depreciation of any newer car to make up the difference. 45 miles round trip a day is not a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJohnson
Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
You're better off buying a new Civic. Hondas don't depreciate much, and new car interest rates are usually cheaper than used car interest rates. You may also get a discount as a dealer employee
smile.gif

But they have one of the worst oil dilution problems in the car industry.

Only the 1.5T does that

The OP is considering a base model LX which still uses the NA 2.0, so no fuel dilution
smile.gif

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Gotta love it!!

Once again the OP asks a fairly specific question and gets replies all over the map plus free unsolicited financial advice.

Go BITOG!

Just the usual rush to the bottom; "You should be as miserable as me." is the primary motivation methinks.

An update- I have a buyer for my Camry, a coworker, who will buy the car right before I move. That way I don't have to buy a car in IL and pay sales tax both here and in MO when I move.

Prius and Civic are on the shortlist but we'll see what the dealership has!

It is a new dealer and you will be a service writer. Until you get settled and you have some idea of your income, I wouldn't buy anything.

First off, I'd wait a bit and see how the new job works out before making any significant financial commitment.
The Camry will serve reliably for a while.
Second, there is no better place to be than a dealership when looking for a car.
Decent cars come in on trade cheap every day that you could probably buy for trade price, with maybe a small markup, and then there are always the lease returns and the used car sales manager sends car to auction every week that you could buy for likely auction value first. Used car sales manager probably also goes to wholesale auctions every month and might be able to pick you up a good deal if you are on good terms with him and let him know you're looking for a newer ride.
If you work in a dealership, let everyone know you're in the market and you can probably end up with a sweet deal that you'd never find on your own.

One of the salesman at my new dealership just marked this beauty sold for me! 2016 Civic LX CVT, 34,910 miles. It was leased new at the same dealership and all of its maintenance was done there. Certified Pre-Owned. Can't wait to drive it home!!!

2DC918B0-4532-4886-B8CF-D6B6F577F661.jpeg

Last edited:
Originally Posted by EricBeau
One of the salesman at my new dealership just marked this beauty sold for me! 2016 Civic LX CVT, 34,910 miles. It was leased new at the same dealership and all of its maintenance was done there. Certified Pre-Owned. Can't wait to drive it home!!!

Nice!

For anyone wondering I plan on running Mobil 1 AFE 0W-20 and a Honda oil filter for the duration of the Maintenance Minder.

My coworkers at the Ford dealership that I'm leaving just gave me five individual quarts of Motorcraft 0W-20 Synthetic Blend that I'll use for my first oil change. After that I'll run M1 AFE and a Honda A02.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back