Injector sleeves in 7.3 Powerstroke w/ 6 sp MT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fuel over-filling the coolant tank and present in engine oil. Approx 125000 miles on the motor. Does this require head removal to diagnose? Are injector sleeves and fuel cups both terms for the same thing? Can the old sleeves be removed and replaced without removing the heads? Is there some maintenance I missed to cause this problem? Does driving style cause this problem? Can fuel additives either prevent or hasten the development of this problem?

Last edited:
It just happens, They are made of Brass & can crack. I've always called them Injector Cups.....

My removal/installation tools are OTC & makes the job possible without removing the cylinder heads, Probably some cheaper tools available! Use OE Ford Cups & Injector seal kits!!!!!!

If the fuel is left in the cooling system long enough......It ruins EVERYTHING that's made of rubber along with anything with a rubber seal.
Radiator
Heater core
All coolant hoses
Water pump
Radiator cap

Most just replace the offending cup.....I highly recommend replacing all 8!!

Yes it can be done heads on engine but it's not the easiest. Do all 8. You'll need a remover and installer and some specialty green loctite. As far as something you could have done to prevent this, not really no. They just crack over time. I would drive the truck like this at all if it's overfilling the coolant explanation tank. As Cline said, you'll need replace everything rubber in the cooling system, flush the radiator and heater core at minimum and replace the water pump.

Last edited:
Fairly common, we do them occasionally. Not as much as when I first started in 2007, but still do them. You will need the remover/installer as well as the correct green Locitie. Fortunately the parts aren't expensive.

My post was meant to say NOT drive the truck . Sorry phone sucks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back