Massive amounts of PEA got into my oil ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a direct injection 2012 Hyundai Accent with 197,000 miles I bought new that is sensitive to carbon buildup on the piston crown and combustion chambers. I actually drilled tiny holes in the intake manifold just before the head so I can stick the straw of a can of CRC GDI Intake Valve Cleaner and spray it directly onto the back of the valves. I unplug the coil for the cylinder I'm spraying with the engine running so the highly concentrated PEA in the cleaner will not burn in the cylinder and will coat the combustion space as well as the back of the valves. I've done this procedure before and it has a notable effect that is reflected in the fuel economy to the tune of at least 5 mpg on the road. I have a monitor plugged into the OBDII port and I can see less or no ignition timing is being pulled out under load, whereas before the treatment I saw an average of 4-5 degrees being pulled out under WOT and high RPMs. At part throttle I'm not sure how much timing is being pulled because the variables are so great, but I know at some points it is as much as 15 degrees because I was seeing "negative" timing numbers or for example -2 deg. (or 2 degrees AFTER TDC !!!) under lighter loads.
My question is will PEA in the crankcase cause undue harm or wear to the internals?
I wait an hour after spraying down a cylinder so it can do its work on the carbon, but I'm sure some PEA is pooling on the edge of the piston and probably leaking down past the rings and into the crankcase.
Last year I did a couple of these treatments and drove the car for a couple of days and then changed the oil. All has seemed fine since.
But do you guys think I am doing damage from the PEA getting into the oil or no?

As an important side note, I have found that buildup on the back of the valves really isn't an issue with my car as it still has just as much horsepower today as it did when it was new, so the intake ports couldn't be too choked off, but the issue seems to be carbon clogging up the combustion space. I've heard the DI creates more soot in the exhaust than port injection and apparently it may too cause more carbon buildup on the pistons and combustion chambers.

Last edited:
Wow. That's going the distance.

When I used to do stuff like a de-carboning, Id plan an oil change the for next day or so.

Now I just floor the car a lot when its foggy or really Humid
smile.gif

Now, How do you KNOW you have massive amount s of PEA getting in the oil?

Or, are you just postulating.

That's why I'm here to ask those smarter or more knowledgeable than me. Do you think CRC GDI IVC would be able to sneak past the rings and into the oil within the hour I let it sit. I would assume at least a cc would be sitting around the top ring during the hour soak. And lets remember the CRC IVC is an EXTREMELY concentrated PEA cleaner. Give me your thoughts.
What happens when PEA makes it into the crankcase?

The PEA cannot act as anything in the crankcase, and I don't believe it can transform or react with anything in there.
Not sure if it has any adverse friction modifying effects nor cause any increase in acidity of the bulk.
The worst of things happening IMO is the removal or wash off of oil on the rings and cylinder walls, which is worth the trade-off.

I have no information to add about your question but you say you have holes drilled into you intake manifold so you can spray the cleaner into the intake ports.... what do you do to seal the holes when you aren't cleaning the engine?

Originally Posted by grjr
I have no information to add about your question but you say you have holes drilled into you intake manifold so you can spray the cleaner into the intake ports.... what do you do to seal the holes when you aren't cleaning the engine?

My thoughts exactly.

I used the CRC GDI throttle cleaner in my Hyundai Accent. Worked great following the instructions as follows. That hour or so it sits will do its job. I doubt the Pea is going to hurt anything. I have used redline si-1 for years and it will sneak past the cylinder wall into the oil. If anything the Pea might help clean up grime in the oil pan. Remember that gumout multi has pea in it and can be admitted multiple ways including the crankcase. I wouldn't worry about it too much. Start it up and drive it for an hour.. Should burn off.

Cigarette butts?..or bubble gum? Hubba Bubba's my personal favorite fwiw.....‚

Do the cleaning before the oil change. It's more important you keep that carbon buildup in the cylinder and piston tops to a minimum.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter

Cigarette butts?..or bubble gum? Hubba Bubba's my personal favorite fwiw.....‚

Golf tees.

To seal the miniature holes I simply take a tube of black RTV and put it over the hole and squirt and lift at the same time leaving what looks like a small Hershey Kiss. The old ones I cut off to do another cleaning had been there for over a year and were sticking like gorilla snot. Its actually running on little squares of duct tape covering the holes at the moment because its going to get 1 or 2 more cleanings and then sealed with Permatex RTV Hershey Kisses.

MolaKule,
Thank you for your link. I remember you when I first joined BITOG and you've helped me many times over the years. But I have a question... Just how long have you been stirring that pot? I KNOW its been at least 10 years!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back