Which Synthetic Oil Do You Use, And Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always liked Valvoline and Castrol. I usually use Castrol if I can get it at the same price as anything else. Otherwise, I tend to use the cheapest synthetic I can get from Autozone with a filter. For some reason, on my new 2018 mazda 3, I decided I will use Mazda Skyactive oil which is made by Idemitsu (which I think of as the best oil as they design a lot of oils for mazda applications) or use Valvoline Maxlife synthetic. I have no clue why I decided the Valvoline over anything else.

I use Pennzoil, Valvoline, and Mobil 1 products. I think all the major brands are very good.

My top choice, though, is Mobil 1 EP or AP due to the PAO performance at the extremes, especially high heat.

I may order a 6 quart box of Havoline 0w20 for the next OCI in my daughter's Renegade just for kicks.

PP for the Lexus - because it's the cheapest (after MIR) and offers the best protection for the price.

Mobil 1 extended performance 0w20 because its only a few dollars more than the regular mobil 1 stuff and with a rebate, i think its the best oil for the money. I have been taking it close to the 15k mile promise too.

Originally Posted by Cgates
Mobil 1 extended performance 0w20 because its only a few dollars more than the regular mobil 1 stuff and with a rebate, i think its the best oil for the money. I have been taking it close to the 15k mile promise too.

That's a near boutique for Wally price …

BMW TPT 0W-30 in everything save the Club Sport(which gets TPT 5W-30) and the Sahara(which gets PP 10W-30).
Why? I know that they are high quality lubricants and they are readily available.

I am using Chevron Havoline Pro DS. It meets all the latest specs and it's available at a great price. Chevron makes their own base and additives and they've been doing it since the dinosaurs went extinct.

🦕 🦖

I've been using Mobil 1 or Castrol (Edge now) synthetic oils for 30+ yrs...OCI 5K (Could go longer, but its very hot/dusty climate where I live, just being safe)...never had a problem with anything engine related...vehicles always get great mileage, run smooth

I have used:

Castrol Edge Euro 0W-40
Chevron Delo 5W-40
Kendall DXa 5W-40
Kendall GT 0W-20
M1 AFE 0W-20
M1 EP 0W-20
M1 Euro 0W-40
Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40
Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W-40
Shell Rotella T6 5W-40

None of my vehicles have had any issues, though both Mercedes cars are DI and M1 Euro 0W-40 did not handle the fuel dilution as well as Castrol and Pennzoil. I typically shop for deals and buy in bulk so I have stopped using conventional oils entirely, because frankly, I do not see the point. YMMV

Sierra gets Mobil 1 vanilla, because with the rebate it's $2.16/QT.

S60 gets Mobil 1 EP, because a) rebate b) need A5/B5 c) turbo d) Volvo recommends 10k OCI. EP makes me feel better with the OCI and the turbo.

Last edited:
2012 Kia Soul 1.6 GDI: STP 5w20 full synthetic, I get a great price on it.

2012 Camaro RS: STP 5w30 full synthetic , I get a great price on it.

00 Ford Excursion 5.4: Mobil 1 full synthetic, truck don't use any oil with M1.

2007 f150 4.6: Mobil 1 full synthetic, just cause I can.

2016 Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins: Sinopec T-700 synthetic 15w40, cheap and has brought back good UOA's.

2000 f250 5.4: Sinopec Justar 600 full synthetic 5w30, cheap and has brought back good UOA's.

1995 F350 7.3: Rotella T5 15w40, truck didnt like it started to run rough at 3500 miles, Im going back to dino, with Lubriguard 15w40 my truck runs great even at the end of the 5k OCI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back