Humidity thread follow-up... phew!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boy, today was a rough one. The shop was 96 degrees when I punched out, humidity somewhere in the 70% range.

How did my other non-air conditioned brethren fare today?

If any of you live around older folks, please check on them. Sometimes they can't afford the electricity to keep alive in this heat.
Check you pets too!!!!!!

It was 81F at the shop northwest of Pittsburgh. Luckily it got real dark and overcast and windy so was not all that bad. I worked 3am to 2:45pm today
wink.gif

It's cooled down to 77F here now as watching pirates game

The temperature got up to 98F here today, but the worst was the humidity. For about an hour the dew point reached 84°F, which made the real-feel temperature 124°F. That's the highest dew point I've ever seen and within 2°F of the all-time US dew point record. It's beastly out there.

This time of year it's always bad here. Being retired I am only out early in the morning and late evening. I keep it 74 in the house.

Yea about the same here, 95 or so, humid with rain in the morning and good ol Mr Sun shows his face to cook us around noon. I have a portable 10k unit in the back office, my pocket thermometer showed 86-88, but much less humid. Tomorrow 100 sunday 105.

In prep's for tomorrow my wife and I installed our second 10k BTU/hr window unit in the living room, which is also completely open to and cools the dining room, kitchen and hallway to the bedrooms (there are no windows that can accommodate units in kitchen or dining room). Both are running now at ~800W each and my, what a difference a second A/C makes in humidity reduction!

As long as I keep the setting down super low (they're currently set at 60F) and only cycle one on and off at a time I shouldn't come close to tripping our 20A breaker.

NJ here. 95 + today with Group 5 humidity.
My shop did 58 oil/filter changes. ( 3 people).
Many of my customers brought cool drinks for us to drink.
God Bless Americans

When I went to work this morning, it was 80F at 0400 am, and the local RH was also 80%. That's like tropical stupid hot and humid.
Tomorrow it is supposed to get up to 98 deg and the RH will be in the high 70s to 80% range again. And I work outside tomorrow. Ugh.
Fall cannot get here soon enough ...

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Ursatdx
God Bless Americans

That was very nice of them! I'm guessing with bay doors being opened that often the A/C, if you had any, wasn't even close to able to keep up!

On a side note, I've never been very great with very bad days in the summer. I always tried to keep up with my dad when I worked with him in the brick yard, but I can still remember nearly passing out working box-cars on some summer days. I literally lost time I was so out of it, stacking bricks as cubes he pulled out fell apart from poor install.

I always hated [censored]-week during football, too, though I forced myself to muscle through it and usually was more of a leader than a follower during the obstacle courses.

At the academy I gave up. There were so many in-shape guys that I had no choice but to fall into the middle of the pack and even there I suffered as I tried my best not to be overcome by the heat.

Just last summer I almost blacked-out while after 2.5 hrs of mowing my lawn without a break (yeah, dumb!) I literally barely made it into my basement, stripped down to my skivvies and lay down on the cool tile floor before passing out for an hour. I woke up with a headache and dragged myself upstairs to chug a ton of water, then lay down next to a fan for a bit longer still before I felt OK.

That was the day I decided to get rid of my 19" mower and buy a 28", dual-blade mower to cut my mowing time down substantially.

Cliff notes: I hate heat!

Originally Posted by gathermewool
God Bless Americans

That was very nice of them! I'm guessing with bay doors being opened that often the A/C, if you had any, wasn't even close to able to keep up!

Very few shops are air conditioned. Mine sure isn't. Nor do any of my customers bring us cool drinks. 10 years being there and I can't remember any customer bringing anything other than maybe a plate of cookies on occasion.

Originally Posted by 14Accent
God Bless Americans

Very few shops are air conditioned. Mine sure isn't. Nor do any of my customers bring us cool drinks. 10 years being there and I can't remember any customer bringing anything other than maybe a plate of cookies on occasion.

What a bunch of jerkenheimers.

I always offer bottled-water and ice-cold Lemonade to people I hire. Latest was skylight R&R. One guy didn't bring any water and was grateful for the few we brought out to him.

As an aside, I notice he had one finger with an extremely long nail. what a shame, but at least he was working.

It was relatively cool here today-only in the low 90s. I mowed (push mower for half an hour), worked on grading an area for better water drainage, and spent a lot of time relaxing in the sun around the pool.

We've already seen temperatures around the century mark. It doesn't really bother me as long as I remember to put my hat on to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Apparently it's a crisis for yankees up north though.

It was disgusting yesterday and today with the heat and humidity. Glad I have nice cold a/c in the truck I drive at work and in my pick-up and central air at home. Finally moved into a house with central air a year ago and will never live in a house without it again!

Originally Posted by Fawteen
It was relatively cool here today-only in the low 90s. I mowed (push mower for half an hour), worked on grading an area for better water drainage, and spent a lot of time relaxing in the sun around the pool.

We've already seen temperatures around the century mark. It doesn't really bother me as long as I remember to put my hat on to keep the sweat out of my eyes. Apparently it's a crisis for yankees up north though.

Haha, it is a crisis!

I love seeing news reports about about the infrequent snow and ice you get down in the south and how it shuts things down, though.
39.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I have the luxury of an AC work environment but my son does road construction. My car thermometer started-out at 107 F this afternoon and on the drive home, it was bouncing around at 100 to 103. I was concerned about my son. He came home from work (hot asphalt job today) drank some water, washed-up, ate dinner then went out with his girlfriend. Oh, to be 30 years old again.

Ray

It's been bad here in St. Louis this week also. I am outside most of the day, and have been working mornings / evenings lately, at least until the Heat Warning is over. Dew point is a killer, so the heat index has been over 110 for a couple of days now.

This sucks.

Originally Posted by Fawteen

Haha, it is a crisis!

I love seeing news reports about about the infrequent snow and ice you get down in the south and how it shuts things down, though.
39.gif

crackmeup2.gif

I've never seen ice here, and just some snow in the air about 10 years ago one morning. I've never seen anything accumulate on the ground.

Just remember-when you're shivering and shoveling the winter snow in January we're pulling the solar cover off the pool, swimming and relaxing in the sunshine. I've had maybe 3 days in the last few years where it hasn't been warm enough to wear shorts and a t-shirt all day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back