20190719_183153.jpg

20190719_183205.jpg

20190719_183241.jpg

20190719_183249.jpg

20190719_183254.jpg

20190719_183259.jpg

20190719_183321.jpg

Originally Posted by Garak
Thanks for that. As far as Puro offerings go, it's decent.

Yeah, I would say so

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I hate to say it, but the Prime Guard is a nicer looking filter. But this is at least passable.

I dont know what to think of that snot on one end of filter where ADBV was. Pretty disgusting looking

Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
I hate to say it, but the Prime Guard is a nicer looking filter. But this is at least passable.

My exact thoughts

Originally Posted by A_Spruce
What would be the point of the string? Is that really enough to prevent a blowout?

I believe Purolator used it for years as "assembly string" and believe these filter applications use it still. Anyone confirm this?

Thank You

Originally Posted by WellOiled
The string is a Purolator hallmark. Used to hold the media in place when the potting is done.
I found string in at least one Fram off my Mazda roughly 30 years ago. Corresponding Purolators did not use string then.

Looks fine to me, of course real proof only seen post use. Afaik, Puro has used assembly string on the larger/largest filters manufactured for a very long time. As the Rotella filters seem primarily for diesel application many/most would qualify in that category. Other than purely aesthetic considerations, never seen post use where it caused any functional issue. I find it assuming though as it does seem to put off some folks.

Thanks for c&p.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
Looks fine to me, of course real proof only seen post use. Afaik, Puro has used assembly string on the larger/largest filters manufactured for a very long time. As the Rotella filters seem primarily for diesel application many/most would qualify in that category. Other than purely aesthetic considerations, never seen post use where it caused any functional issue. I find it assuming though as it does seem to put off some folks.

Thanks for c&p.

Jack: you are very welcome

The string is there to maintain the circular shape as the ends are being set and potted. Believe me, if they felt they could eliminate the string to save 2 cents they would; they most likely ran some QC tests with and without and found there was a statistical difference in not using it.

If this isn't what happened, now I know where I can go for my next job to score some "quick wins" on cost savings
lol.gif

Thanks for C&P Adam! Got another 6k NG7055 fresh off the 18 Forester today for ya. It's so nice being able to use an evacuator and change the filter all on top of the engine! Oil change took about 8 minutes including filter and never had to leave the standing position.
smile.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
The string is there to maintain the circular shape as the ends are being set and potted. Believe me, if they felt they could eliminate the string to save 2 cents they would; they most likely ran some QC tests with and without and found there was a statistical difference in not using it.

If this isn't what happened, now I know where I can go for my next job to score some "quick wins" on cost savings
lol.gif

Thanks for C&P Adam! Got another 6k NG7055 fresh off the 18 Forester today for ya. It's so nice being able to use an evacuator and change the filter all on top of the engine! Oil change took about 8 minutes including filter and never had to leave the standing position.
smile.gif

I use a oil extractor also. Except my filter is underneath
wink.gif

Shame, FEDERATED filters see no need to use string; wonder why eh
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back