Hayward Pool Filter ????

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an 18 year old Hayward Pool Filter. (3/4 HP 110V ) Today, the motor made a metallic death screech, smoke came out of the front bearing, and the breaker tripped. Let it cool off, reset breaker, and restarted. It runs fine except very noisy, I assume the front bearing is trashed, as that is where the smoke was coming from.

Is it worth a bearing swap on an 18 year old motor? A new motor is $160 and is most likely " typical offshore quality " that will last 5 years or so. I have put new bearings in a hot tub motor when no replacement was available.

Thanks in advance for any advice

Just get a new motor. Here where I live there is a place that rebuilds electric motors and if it is worth rebuilding they will and the cost is less than a new one. Or some times it isn't and they have rebuilt ones on the shelf for less, which I have purchased and have had no issues with.

I'd personally stick with Hayward-their quality is great.

Our first Hayward finally started getting noisy at about 20 years old, I just replaced it with another superpump last year. We use our pool 10 or 11 months/year, and don't ever shut it down during the off month or two, so it sees roughly 8-9 hours of use each day, 365 days/year. That's over 65,000 hours of use.

You won't get a Hayward for $160 though.

Our booster pump is also a Hayward and it's still running great after 20 years.

If you can swap the bearing out yourself do it. Will cost fraction of cost to swap it out than spend 160...

I paid 30$ for a new bearing for a hot tub pump and a replacement was 2 bills..

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back