[pics] 2004 Corolla spark plug, piston tops

Status
Not open for further replies.
This past Monday I changed the spark plugs on the 2004 Corolla with 202259 miles.
The old plugs (NGK Laser Iridium) have been in use for 104559 miles. They came out easy from a hot engine, I installed them with copper antiseize probably at the specced 18ftlb.
New Denso Iridium TT plugs went back in, copper antiseize also used, but only 15ftlb this time.
I also performed a compression test, I went by what what I saw the dial go up highest, not by how it rested (not sure that's how it's properly done).

IMG_3778.JPG

IMG_3781.JPG

IMG_3779.JPG

IMG_3780.JPG

1-1320772428215.jpg

Compression.JPG

A couple of questions:

In your signature, you have listed "VWB + SSS + Rislone cocktail" What's SSS? What does Rislone supposedly do?

The pics of your plugs looks "textbook" to photos you see in handbook of someone who runs a lot of additives. Do you run anything extra in your gas?

Originally Posted by Phishin
A couple of questions:

In your signature, you have listed "VWB + SSS + Rislone cocktail" What's SSS? What does Rislone supposedly do?

The pics of your plugs looks "textbook" to photos you see in handbook of someone who runs a lot of additives. Do you run anything extra in your gas?

I had a mixture of 2.5qt VWB 5w-20 SM, 1qt Smity SuperS 5W30 SN, .075qt Smitty SuperS 10W-40 SN, plus some top ups with VWB 5W-30 SM. The Rislone in question is the Rislone 4102 which I used for the first time, it supposedly cleans sludge etc. (oil was as clear as ever on the dipstick, I'll see what the filter holds when I get around to cutting it). All this was drained on Tuesday.

As for gas additives, I used Techron maybe every 5k miles, maybe a few ounces of MMO a couple of times. This engine burns about 1qt every 5k miles.

Originally Posted by hemitom
Those plugs look pretty good for 100000 miles on them.
What brand of gas do you run ?

Mostly a local brand: G&M oil. When travelling, I stick to name brands or truck stop brands (Flying J, Love's)

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Wow. Talk about running lean. Look at all that white powder. How are your mpgs?

MPG is down maybe 1-2 from many years ago. On a 500 mile trip last weekend it averaged 37.x MPG.
At the end of May I wanted to take this car on a long trip so I did a pre-trip check and found out it was running +12-14 LTFT at idle and +9 LTFT under load. As I was puling my hair out, at one point I unplugged the MAF with the engine running, just to see if it dies and it did. A couple of days later, with the MAF plugged back in and gas tank refilled LTFT dropped a lot to +4-5.5 idle and +7.8 loaded. It went about like that for a while and more recently it developed what I believe to be an intake leak (2 months ago, I tried an crapily improvised smoke machine and couldn't find any intake leak). This morning LTFT was +7.03 at idle, +4.69 at 2000 rpm.

Stick with the Toyota preferred Denso Iridium over NGK Iridium plugs. No need to add any other additives to the oil or the gas, just a waste of money and just add white chalks to your plugs. Keep it simple by using top tier full-synthetic oils to keep your engine clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back