Fender Bender insurance advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which car is it?

Personally, for a small claim I'd repair it myself and don't bother filing if there's no-one else involved. I'd save the safety margin for big accident instead. (only if it is for an old car though)

Many of us seldom use our insurance and pay thousands over the years. Then, we are afraid to use it when something happens. It's an odd thing, this insurance game.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Which car is it?

Personally, for a small claim I'd repair it myself and don't bother filing if there's no-one else involved. I'd save the safety margin for big accident instead. (only if it is for an old car though)

If you mean me it's the 2014 RAV4 excellent shape before this. I don't have the skill or tools to paint and it's a her car/my truck thing so it will be fixed and painted properly.

Sorry for the derail OP,
blush.gif
, my point was get another estimate besides the insurance adjuster especially if you think you might do some of the repairs yourself.

I am feeling good about how things went today. State Farm was great on the phone. My local agent just took his car to same shop I am using due to a similar accident. I am planning repair the week of the 15th. Just happened to work with vacation time. Not wanting to use a rental for a lot of miles. State Farm uses used parts which I prefer over new questionable ones. Dented fender will be replaced. Door scratches buffed out. Mirror replaced. Drivers window replaced. It has the outline of the mirror etched into the glass. Will take 4 to 5 days to complete. Total $1,566.47. Hourly rate for labor $34. Did not think that was possible in this day and age? Right after the estimate I went to O'Reillys and bought a large convex mirror. Fit perfectly and gave much better visibility on left side of my car. I will use car as little as possible and plan routes until original mirror is replaced.

Eljefino, my mirror mod is a tribute to your ingenuity and frugality.

20190701_124448_resized.jpg

My accident was 4 years ago (July 4, 2015).
I was leaving from a fireworks display and it was raining. The police were waving traffic along, when suddenly a truck in front of me just stopped really quick. I slammed on the brakes (was doing about 25 - 30 mph) and slid into him. All it did was put about a silver dollar dent in his bumper and just dented my front license plate. He made a claim against my insurance. SF paid $394.27 for a new rear bumper. I bet he pocketed that money. My insurance has yet to go up, and it went down this 6 month period almost $4 a month.

All better now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I am pleased with results and State Farm was great. Thanks again for the guidance and tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back