Rough duty oil for a 2019 Wrangler with 3.6L engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I decided to go back to a Jeep and a couple of days ago bought a new Jeep JLU Wrangler. Love the Jeep. It has the 3.6L engine and calls for 0w-20 oil.

I use my Jeeps for which they were intended. It will see hot temps crawling around off-road in the Nevada desert and occasionally towing a little 2,800 pound travel trailer, in those hot temps.

I may be overthinking this but admittedly I'm a little leery of that light of viscosity an oil for that kind of use. Earlier Wranglers with the 3.6L engine used 5w-30.

Since it's under warranty I guess I should stick with a 0W-20 but have to admit I'm thinking of just using a synthetic 5w-30 and calling it good, at least in the summer time.

I should add I typically use 5k mile OCIs with synthetic oil.

Thoughts and thank you.

Well, page 469 of the owners manual says:
Engine Oil Selection 3.6L Engine

For best performance and maximum protection under all
types of operating conditions, the manufacturer only recommends
engine oils that are API Certified and meet the
requirements of FCA Material Standard MS-6395.

Find an oil that meets that standard and use that in whatever weight you want.

although later in the manual on page 543 it says:
Engine Oil — 3.6L Engine
We recommend you use API Certified SAE 0W-20 Engine
Oil, meeting the requirements of FCA Material Standard
MS-6395 such as Mopar, Pennzoil, and Shell Helix. Refer
to your engine oil filler cap for correct SAE grade.

but again, it is a recommendation, not a requirement.

I am an "thin is in" guy, but on a vehicle that is severe duty, I would have no issue going to a 10w-30 oil for a Jeep that is actually used as a Jeep.
But then again, a 0w-20 would probably be fine as well.

Does this motor have cylinder deactivation or a start stop system? If so, those may not work properly with a thicker oil.

You are over thinking it. I would worry about the start stop feature with 5w30. That is the newer 3.6 that was designed for 20 grade oil but they added 0w20 so oil flows faster with ESS. 0w20 being synthetic will handle heat just fine and flow better.

You worried 0w20 won't hold up then try 0w5 that Nascar uses. We all know how they get abused.

Last edited:
This Jeep does have the ESS but it also has a manual transmission. If I understand the manual correctly it's really not a factor unless I put it in neutral and take my feet off the brake and clutch pedal, rare. I also don't care for ESS and will disable it every time I think about it.

Thanks for the info gents. Good stuff. I'll be doing some UOAs after break-in and will keep track of how it's doing.

Originally Posted by cb4017
This Jeep does have the ESS but it also has a manual transmission. If I understand the manual correctly it's really not a factor unless I put it in neutral and take my feet off the brake and clutch pedal, rare. I also don't care for ESS and will disable it every time I think about it.

Thanks for the info gents. Good stuff. I'll be doing some UOAs after break-in and will keep track of how it's doing.

+1

Originally Posted by PWMDMD
Originally Posted by Imp4
Yeah, those Jeep engineers sure don't know much....

Spend time reading https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/

Your statement is not far from the truth...the Wrangler is a bloody horror show!

Seems like a little too much of a bandwagon type group for my interests.

But thanks!!
cheers3.gif

If you want a heavy duty oil run an oil designed for heavy duty applications. Rotella T4 10w30 or T5 10w30 would be a great oil cor anything you're going to throw at it.

That being said, it has an oil cooler and a variable displacement pump, it will likely out live the body on Super Tech 0w20.

So the real answer is, run what makes you feel good. The engine won't care.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by FlyNavyP3
If you want a heavy duty oil run an oil designed for heavy duty applications. Rotella T4 10w30 or T5 10w30 would be a great oil cor anything you're going to throw at it.

That being said, it has an oil cooler and a variable displacement pump, it will likely out live the body on Super Tech 0w20.

So the real answer is, run what makes you feel good. The engine won't care.

+10,000

Use the 0W20, take it on a trip and use it like you usually would. Then send off an oil sample like you mentioned. If the UOA looks good, then there's your answer.

I have been loosely eye balling a 2019 Rubicon, but I want the 2.0L turbocharged engine. Crazy as it may sound, I will probably run 0W-40 in it. YMMV!

Originally Posted by 2015_PSD
I have been loosely eye balling a 2019 Rubicon, but I want the 2.0L turbocharged engine. Crazy as it may sound, I will probably run 0W-40 in it. YMMV!

It's the better engine in the JLs right now tbh. More low end torque ftw.

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
That and I recently rented one and drove it from Houston to Sheridan, WY and back. I averaged 26+ MPG on the overall trip. I was impressed, especially since we had 2 days of 4x4 Low action off road.

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
That and I recently rented one and drove it from Houston to Sheridan, WY and back. I averaged 26+ MPG on the overall trip. I was impressed, especially since we had 2 days of 4x4 Low action off road.

That's pretty [censored] good. I've only driven the V6 in a JL--drove a manual one and was pretty underwhelmed. I have a '99 TJ with a 5 speed and I can do rolling stop from 2nd gear no big deal. I tried that on the JL and seriously thought I wasn't going to get moving in time to avoid traffic behind me.

Been wanting to try out the turbo 4 in a two door JL. Need to find one near me.

We wheel our JKU a lot, road trips to Moab etc and I've never used anything but 5w20 and followed the oil monitor. I change usually in the teens percentage left which is typically 7.5-8k. The engine is easy on oil no need to overthink it IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back