ATF to help with seeping output shaft seal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car has seepage that is presenting itself at the bottom of the bell housing. Not much, a drop or two overnight, and ~1/2 quart over 5k miles.

Any suggestions for a "high-mileage" ATF that would be compatible with G-052-162-A2 / VW TL 52162? Not looking to put in an additive into the already brittle VW transmission.

I thought there was a High Mileage MaxLife, but I can't seem to find it any longer.

I learned early not to believe in snake oils after being burned a time or two. I resisted for decades. A few years ago I took a shot at Lucas power steering stop leak only after asking a friend that owns a garage and he said it actually works. I added it to my '88 Mustang 5.0 that was making a mess everywhere it was parked, leaking from one of the bellows on the rack and pinion. I put that stuff in, drove it around a bit and parked it. The next day there were no more drips. Its 5 years later and not a drop has leaked out. It had been leaking for years before I put the Lucas in. This is not an ad for Lucas, but I can guarantee you the power steering stuff CAN work and I'm sure it is similar to any transmission stop leak they offer. Might want to look if they have something compatible with your VW.

Originally Posted by spavel6
Car has seepage that is presenting itself at the bottom of the bell housing. Not much, a drop or two overnight, and ~1/2 quart over 5k miles.

Any suggestions for a "high-mileage" ATF that would be compatible with G-052-162-A2 / VW TL 52162? Not looking to put in an additive into the already brittle VW transmission.

I thought there was a High Mileage MaxLife, but I can't seem to find it any longer.

Maxlife is designed to help prevent leaks according to the PI sheet and is recommended for your application. It does not state whether it helps with existing leaks, but is generally a good choice for higher mileage transmissions (I currently use it in my Cad).

Personally, I would start with ML and then possibly move to a dedicated stop leak if ML doesn't help.

Originally Posted by j_mac
I learned early not to believe in snake oils after being burned a time or two. I resisted for decades. A few years ago I took a shot at Lucas power steering stop leak only after asking a friend that owns a garage and he said it actually works. I added it to my '88 Mustang 5.0 that was making a mess everywhere it was parked, leaking from one of the bellows on the rack and pinion. I put that stuff in, drove it around a bit and parked it. The next day there were no more drips. Its 5 years later and not a drop has leaked out. It had been leaking for years before I put the Lucas in. This is not an ad for Lucas, but I can guarantee you the power steering stuff CAN work and I'm sure it is similar to any transmission stop leak they offer. Might want to look if they have something compatible with your VW.

Definitely worth doing . I've seen it work well as well.. it won't fix tears but when swelling the seal a tad will do yup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back