Do You Still Change Your Oil at 3K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I change the oil in my jeep around 2000 miles. It gets a lot of trail time, though and if I go by gallons it's usually around 8-10k highway miles of gas burned.

@5k + 5k on both cars with Mobil1

Our CRV has MM reminder that I don't follow; so every 5k is much easier to remember than following that stupid MM

Only for the first 5 years of the life of the Ford Fiesta (and until 80.000kms) I changed oil and filter every 6.600kms (4100miles).Thought back then that it was better for the engine performance/cleanliness (oil was golden yellow-squeaky clean engine on wiping the dipstick after an OCI) and I could afford it using the quite cheap Ford Formula E oil (WSS-913B spec) that the manual called for.
After that started using full synthetic oil (Mobil 1 for 5 OCIs then Motul) and went to double the distance and last OCI (now 180.000+kms on the odo) triple (equals 20.000km as per manufacturer recommendation) got a sample and will do an UOA so as to decide how I will act in the future.Motul carried WSS-913D spec which is improved over 913C which is improved over 913B which my car was speced for so I think I am better than OK especially considering that my OCIs are 90% highway driving.
I even use longer than 3K intervals on my Ninja 250 which is 95% driven in the city with short tripping with a 13.000rpm redline and 8.000rpm in a daily basis after 73.000km on the odo with no need to change filter every time or having any other performance/cleanliness issues.
So my answer is NO.

5000 is the new 3000, generally speaking.

I now do 10k OCI, so. 75k, to 85k, no issue. Next up is 95k
I last used QSUD, no problem using something else.

Originally Posted by macarose
......….I would also check my oil, coolant, and tires every time I filled up. it seems crazy but that type of OCD behavior is what kept me far away from any suspension or powertrain issues.

I feel your pain, brother!!!
smile.gif

No. I bought a new V6 Sienna in 1999 and a V6 Camry in 2000. The first couple OCs in each were with conventional oil and then I switched to synthetic, eventually settling on SuperTech (Walmart) brand. Each of those vehicles were kept almost 15 years. At first, I did 4k mile OCIs then, 4.5k and eventually 5k miles. For nearly a decade now, I've been using Milesyn synthetic and/or synthetic blend. 4 of the cars in my family get changed 2x/year (spring and fall) which averages out to about 5k intervals. One other car in the family is driven much more and it usually gets a 5.5k interval change but sometimes goes to 7-8k before getting new oil.

Knock on wood, not a single vehicle has ever needed engine work.

Ray

talest said:
5000 is the new 3000, generally speaking.

Made that change many years back … moved up to 7k-8k in the last 10 years with OLM … but now with DI, thin oils, variety of engines, and my schedule, etc = recent range is 5k-7k …

2005 Toyota Rav4 recommended? 7,500 miles, I changed it at 10k using synthetic, sold it with 180k mikes; prior 1990 Honda Accord at 15k, sold it with 196k miles. Now I have a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe with 4 cylinder, 4,500 miles on it, changing it at 5k because the extended 10/100 warranty includes free oil changes every 5k by a certified mechanic.

Originally Posted by Gebo
Just curious how many of you change your oil every 3K? Or less than 5K?

*Hyundai 2.4L GDI gets < 5,000 OCI's (usually 3,750 miles severe schedule) on synthetic oil .

On my 02 jeep (winter vehicle) real severe service every spring even if it's only 1,500.
My 2010 Mountaineer with the 4.0 and many timing chains (as most agree timing chains create the most shear) every 3,000 miles.

I change engine oil three times a year, every four months, which is around 3,000 miles. Winter change is 5w30, spring change is 10w30, and summer change is 10w30. All oil changes are normally done with M1-HM, Amsoil engine flush, and a fram ultra synthetic oil filter.

I did a 3K mile interval on my Explorer because it had lifter noise when I bought it and unknown maintenance history. Probably going to do another 3K change or two, then maybe stretch it to 5K.

94 Ranger is usually 3-5K...that's about a yearly oil change right now.

02 Ranger goes 8K+.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back