"Hiding" behind the beard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago I was told that men who wear beards/mustaches have them because subconsciously they're "hiding" behind them. The specific reason could be anything such as guilt, a perceived inadequacy or whatever.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by AntsinmyEyes
Sounds like somethin a person who couldnt grow a nice beard would say

/thread

I just hate shaving. I used to shave my beard in the summer, when it does get a bit scratchy from heat and sweat at times, but the last few years don't even bother with that. Also, the amount saved in razor blades and shaving cream adds up over time. (Weighed against one electric beard trimmer that costs $20 and lasts many years.)

There can always be legit psychological issues involved in appearance choices. Plus some folks follow trends. Me, I just hate shaving.

P.S. When I first grew my beard, at 23, people stared at me funny, since younger guys almost never had beards back then. (late '80s) Today you see high school kids with beards. Go figure.

Last edited:
For me it's either look like I'm 12 years old or look like I'm Fu-Man-Chu; so I decide to look like I'm 12 instead. Lesser of the two evils imo.

Last edited:
Are you facial hair challenged? People grow beards for many reasons. I grew mine, because shaving causes pimples. So, I would rather have a beard over a bunch of ugly sore pimples on my face and on my neck.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Years ago I was told that men who wear beards/mustaches have them because subconsciously they're "hiding" behind them. The specific reason could be anything such as guilt, a perceived inadequacy or whatever.

Thoughts?

Next time I'm in Daytona Beach I will ask the Hells Angels I see at a traffic light.

One reason I liked wearing a beard was that it hid acne damage on my lower jaw...the mustache helped to hide a mole on my upper lip.
When I got old and the beard turned snow white and the mustache became steel wool grey, I shaved them both. The acne damage is not so apparent anymore...mole is still there.

People like to make up reasons for lots of things.

Just because person a has some secret and grows a beard does not mean all people with beards have secrets.

I have a beard right now because I hate shaving. I don't have a mustache though because my wife hates them and won't kiss me if I have one.
At times I have a goatee, other times I am clean shaven.
So does that mean when I have my beard I have a secret, but when I don't, I don't?

I usually had a beard through my 20's and early 30's, mostly because I didn't like to shave all the time. Then I started to feel the beard was an irritant while wearing a helmet. So even though I don't like having to shave every day, it's better than being annoyed by a beard while wearing a helmet. My wife likes me with or without a beard.

I grew a beard at 18 on a bet I couldn't do it ..well , 46 years later I still have it , has been various lengths through out the years , now just kinda short and grey...

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl

Thoughts?

Honestly anyone can make that statement based on almost anything in life
i.e. flashy car, brodozer truck (and to a lesser extent) hipster pants, vaping etc.

At the end of the day it all boils down to personal preference.
coffee2.gif

Pretty sure lots of guys have a beard to try to hide being overweight, specifically the double chin thing. I know 2 guys at work and my BIL have beards for this reason.

I've never had a beard for 2 reasons.

1. Whiskers too sparse
2. Wife hates them

wait that's not right..

1. Wife hates them
2. Too sparse

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back