Skyactiv Engines have proven to be bulletproof

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was browsing the Mazda forums the other day and there are now quite a few people that have over 200k miles on the 2.0/2.5L engines. It appears the Skyactiv engines, while certainly not perfect, have proven to be very reliable.

I currenlty have 62k miles on a 2015 2.0L. I'm likely to keep it a few more years (unless it starts to give me problems) and hold off on a truck.

I am curious how the turbo versions hold up. The intake valve deposit issue seems to not be a problem for these engines either. I'm sure deposits are there, but it doesn't impact performance.

Originally Posted by buster
I was browsing the Mazda forums the other day and there are now quite a few people that have over 200k miles on the 2.0/2.5L engines. It appears the Skyactiv engines, while certainly not perfect, have proven to be very reliable.

I currenlty have 62k miles on a 2015 2.0L. I'm likely to keep it a few more years (unless it starts to give me problems) and hold off on a truck.

I am curious how the turbo versions hold up. The intake valve deposit issue seems to not be a problem for these engines either. I'm sure deposits are there, but it doesn't impact performance.

I put 106K miles on my 2015 CX5 AWD, and the engine and transmission did fine. Just bought a 2019 CX5 Turbo, and have not seen a single CX9 failure that wasn't user induced (local dealer had someone flood a transmission at the lake...) in the 3-4 years it's been on the road.

I seriously considered a Mazda 3, it was down to the Toyota Corolla hatch and the Mazda3. But I wanted a little more performance..so I went for an older Si.

Skyactive design use a OEM oil catch can on their engines.

The successor to the CX-3 (CX-30) looks really nice. I'm a geezer but if I ever buy another car Mazda will be on my bucket list. The new 3 hatch looks much better in person than a picture too. Mazda's on a roll and engine reliability is a real plus.

Originally Posted by csandste
The successor to the CX-3 (CX-30) looks really nice. I'm a geezer but if I ever buy another car Mazda will be on my bucket list. The new 3 hatch looks much better in person than a picture too. Mazda's on a roll and engine reliability is a real plus.

Yep that CX30 is a sharp looking vehicle.

The engines have done very well. They handle the GDI issues better than most. Mazda does CQI on their engines, the last major update was 2017.

Originally Posted by PimTac

The engines have done very well. They handle the GDI issues better than most. Mazda does CQI on their engines, the last major update was 2017.

Good to know. How do you go about getting the latest update, dealer?

You are thinking of computer updates. The dealers do those. The updates I mentioned were physical. For 2017 the engine got a new offset crankshaft, redesigned piston crown, new ring pack, and a few others.

Of all the four bangers I've owned, this one is the smoothest running.

You are thinking of computer updates. The dealers do those. The updates I mentioned were physical. For 2017 the engine got a new offset crankshaft, redesigned piston crown, new ring pack, and a few others.

Of all the four bangers I've owned, this one is the smoothest running.

Ah ok thank you.
thumbsup2.gif

Your question on turbo and Mazda historically is run. The Mazda CX-7 and CX-9 were known to be problematic with turbos . This applies to Mazdaspeed 6 also.

The current stuff no idea as only Mazda 5 and CX-5 with limited history and likely sales.

Originally Posted by E150GT
Mine has been good but I have to use premium gas or I get real bad pinging when I step on the gas.

I thought you would not notice pinging if the computer retarded the engine timing ?

With a high compression ratio, I'd definitely use premium gas in those Mazdas.

Originally Posted by Mr Nice
Originally Posted by E150GT
Mine has been good but I have to use premium gas or I get real bad pinging when I step on the gas.

I thought you would not notice pinging if the computer retarded the engine timing ?

With a high compression ratio, I'd definitely use premium gas in those Mazdas.

If the transmission is in "economy" mode vs "sport" mode, it will lag/lug for a moment until it shifts to the correct gear. I've floored my 2.5L Mazda3 many times using 87 Octane and it never had any pinging. Lugging/lagging... -yes, pinging -no. When in sport mode, the car jumps into action. I was pleasantly surprised the first few times I did it.

I bought my car last year and ran 87 octane all summer. It ran fine. This year, starting in late June, I'm running a 50/50 mix of, 87 and 93 (mixed by me at the pump) so the effective octane should be 90. I'm on about my 4th fill-up and I can tell a very, very slight improvement in performance and a (possible) slight improvement in fuel economy -maybe 5%. This is very preliminary right now so, don't hold my feet to the fire about 5% economy gain.

FWIW, my last manually calculated tank average was 38.9 MPG not running the AC.

Ray

Originally Posted by diyjake
What oil / filters are you guys running in your 2.5 Skyactiv turbo engines?

Factory filters and Mobil 1 5-30 EP

I beat the crap out of 2014 Mazda 2.5 Skyactiv engine for 60K and now it has 100K with someone else and it is still a great engine.

I've seen there maybe some issues with the updated 2.5 and cylinder deactivation. I was also a huge fan of the 6-speed auto as the 2014 version was always in the right gear with super smooth up and down shifts but was shocked to read a review of the new Mazda3, which presumably has the same Skyactive 6-speed auto unless they updated code, and they panned it for rough shifts and gear hunting. So....who knows now....

My kid bought a 2019 Mazda 3.

The 6 speed and 2.5 impress me as does the whole package for the money it cost.

UD

If they bring back the Mazdaspeed Miata, especially in the new coupe body style, and stick one of the turbocharged SkyActiv engines in it coupled with a 6MT, I'd strongly consider adding one to my garage too

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back