Which conventional oil do you use and why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who here runs conventional oils? Brand favorite? Which cars are you running it in?

I don't use conventional, synthetics can be found for less on a regular basis.

Only reason Mobil Super is in the Soul is it was just purchased and had a deal oil change done when we bought it.
It will be switched to a synthetic in 2000 miles.

I too stopped using conventional oil -- somewhat recently. It's hard to economically justify using conventional oil nowadays.

Back in the 80s, studies showed Castrol was a bit better than other brands, so I was loyal to Castrol for a while.

I use PYB and QS green bottle stuff. Why? It is great oil and when on sale, it is dirt cheap. Works well in my riding mower, C1500 and some other odds and ends.

I have not run conventional in many many years in anything even OPE. With the price of synthetics today it is hard to justify using it, add to that the lack of ever more demanding specs make it more or less an obsolete product that will probably be gone for the most part (with a few exceptions) in a few years.

CenPeCo HDEO or Valvoline HDEO in everything. Central Petroleum Co is what all the big name Tractor and truck pulling guys run. They will not run a syn oil as they can not keep the bearings in the bottom ends. Chuck Knapp is the 4 time unlimited tractor puller with 4 full blown engines and tried to run syn oil and had to put new bearings in ever other pulling event. He has went back to running conventional oils from CenPeCo and can run all year now.. He says there is no body in syn oils. They are like running kerosene vs an oil. It just wipes out the bearings with the load they are running. 18 71 blowers and 27 gallons of fuel in 17 seconds.

*Still a lot of oil change places pumping out bulk conventional 5W20 / 5W30 than many people realize !

Originally Posted by ChrisD46
*Still a lot of oil change places pumping out bulk conventional 5W20 / 5W30 than many people realize !

yup, I took my Escape to Valvoline Instant Oil Change and I got conventional 5w-20... though it's probably synthetic blend...

Sitting in a tire store getting a $10 VWB oil change. Moving to syn is $65. If only I could change my own it would be synthetic all the way. I wonder how long they'll honor my stash of ten buck coupons when Valvoline's rebranding of this as blend is complete. They charge $50 for MaxLife even though it and VWB are the same price at Wally World.

Rotella T4 15w40 in the BMW below \/ \/

Originally Posted by ChrisD46

Funny/Sad thing is, many ppl. run this stuff at regular intervals on engines designed to run ONLY syn.
Super/Turbo charged, DI etc.

I ran conventional oil years back in my work trucks. It was run hard and hung out wet. Still, I sold my last truck with 188k on it to my brother inlaw who wanted to make a camper out of it. He ran it until it pretty much fell apart at 260k, everything but the motor. Ran as good as the day I bought it. Sure I could have ran a synthetic oil in it, but the only thing that would be different in the end was the cost of oil changes, by alot. There are more things on a car or truck that will cause more heart aches then the type of oil you use. A $40 timing belt can wreck your motor no matter who's oil you have in it. And really ,who would rebuild a trans in a car with 300k on it that's worth $1500 in good shape? When the people that do oil testing for a living say they use conventional oil in their vehicles, that should tell you all you'll ever need to know.

My two cents... new cars... get synthetic since its the same price or cheaper than conventional.

Used cars, well used cars, cars with unknown maintenance histories, get the cheapest dino oil I can find (SuperTech)

Only in my leaker, there's no point wasting synthetic on it if most of it is leaked out anyways. I may soon stop doing it when I Mobil2 my half worn synthetic out of my other cars that I don't drive much.

No brand loyalty as long as it is a major reputable brand (Anything better than or equal to store brand, no dollar store wrong spec fake oil though), as long as it is the cheapest.

Last edited:
I typically use synthetic as I can get it as low as $18 CAD per 5L jug with rebates. I picked up 3 5L jugs of VWB conventional at $12 CAD. I will run it in my 2001 Echo without worry.

Originally Posted by BigCahuna
I ran conventional oil years back in my work trucks. It was run hard and hung out wet. Still, I sold my last truck with 188k on it to my brother inlaw who wanted to make a camper out of it. He ran it until it pretty much fell apart at 260k, everything but the motor. Ran as good as the day I bought it. Sure I could have ran a synthetic oil in it, but the only thing that would be different in the end was the cost of oil changes, by alot. There are more things on a car or truck that will cause more heart aches then the type of oil you use. A $40 timing belt can wreck your motor no matter who's oil you have in it. And really ,who would rebuild a trans in a car with 300k on it that's worth $1500 in good shape? When the people that do oil testing for a living say they use conventional oil in their vehicles, that should tell you all you'll ever need to know.

This. The Blackstone guy is convincing.

Ten years ago you could buy conventional SM oil for $.50/quart, when on sale with rebate or on clearance. Over time I bought cases of 5W20 PYB, Exxon Superflo, Chevron etc. Never paid more than $.79/quart. I still use it for 5-6K mile OCI. Personally I am not concerned about using SM and ten year old oil in my 2004 vehicle. I haven't had any engine issues and when I had to had the valves adjusted the top end looked very clean.

That being said If I were to buy a new vehicle I would use synthetic because the price difference is small in todays market. The convenience off running a 10K mile OCI on synthetic is an added convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back