SN+ 0w-30?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this out there? I've surfed around for such but haven't come up with an example of such. Heck, I can't even find the Motorcraft 0w-30 which I assume would be SN+ or B1.
Application would be in a ‘18 3.5 Ecoboost F150 with around 10k on it.

M1 0W30 AFE is SN+ and d1G2.

Used it once, BTW....no issues but the ski season never got cold enough to really stretch that cold start capability.

And you're worried about the winter rating in Florida, why?

I'd be more concerned about the required approval or certification than the grade.

Originally Posted by Virtus_Probi

Used it once, BTW....no issues but the ski season never got cold enough to really stretch that cold start capability.

Pretty sure M1 AFE 0W-30 is the only one you can find on the shelf, maybe not online, and it is super rare maybe unless you go to NAPA.

I have three quarts, might have used one, I forget, they are fine.

Originally Posted by talest

Pretty sure M1 AFE 0W-30 is the only one you can find on the shelf, maybe not online, and it is super rare maybe unless you go to NAPA.

WM availability probably depends upon the area, it is common at WMs where I live but I can see it not being stocked in areas that have less severe winters.

Originally Posted by kschachn
And you're worried about the winter rating in Florida, why?

I'd be more concerned about the required approval or certification than the grade.

I agree. I would be looking at 5w-30 or 10w-30 oils for that engine if it were mine.
There is no need for a 0w oil in the south (although some 0w oils may have "better" base stock than 5w and 10w).

Originally Posted by talest

*I used to use M1 0W20 / AFE quite a bit and always saw 0W30 right there next to it on the WM shelf.

Amsoil's 0w-30 has passed GM's dexos testing including LSPI .... but they did not purchase the SN+ designation. It's been shown here to be a great oil.

Originally Posted by JLTD
Amsoil's 0w-30 has passed GM's dexos testing including LSPI .... but they did not purchase the SN+ designation. It's been shown here to be a great oil.

Ah yes, the old "we don't actually prove anything by documenting it with licensing or certifications".

Oh and it does not meet dexos, they say so on their site:

Fortified with detergents that exceed the dexos1 Gen 2 sulfated ash specification.

Last edited:

Ah yes, the old "we don't actually prove anything by documenting it with licensing or certifications".

Fortified with detergents that exceed the dexos1 Gen 2 sulfated ash specification.

687D6F7F-8B8F-4610-A711-63BB9AAC5EDC.jpeg

Ahh yes, there's the old unreasoning hate, a partial reminder of just why I ignore your posts.

However, I'll play this time:

Gee, more detergents? You chose that for support of your platform? It's freely admitted by the manufacturer and is probably a quality which helps allow extended drains.

So you choose to pick one parameter that exceeds an arbitrary specification required by a manufacturer that had trouble with existing oils causing detonation in their turbo DI vehicles....to protect their lugging engines from further damage. Granted, GM's specs set a maximum for their requirements. So don't use it in a GM engine. Believe it or not, millions of vehicles ran, and indeed still run just fine on non dexos oils!

Show me proof that Amsoil is a poor quality oil, or that it failed to control LSPI, or some other evidence other than your opinion and I will be convinced. Otherwise, zip it.

Ahh yes, drag out the "hate" thing when all else fails.

Here, I'll play too. The oil does not meet dexos and they tell you why it does not. You said it did but it does not. I was correcting you.

I never said it was a "poor quality oil", this is yet more amplification and hyperbole which is common when this particular brand is discussed. I presented the facts as stated by the blender themselves and you inflate it to something else. The "zip it" part is the best, kind of like when people say "nuff said", right?

BTW I use Amsoil products, or at least one of them. I use their MTF oil in my ECHO. So let's zip the "hate" thing, OK?

Ahh yes, there's the old unreasoning hate, a partial reminder of just why I ignore your posts.

However, I'll play this time:

Gee, more detergents? You chose that for support of your platform? It's freely admitted by the manufacturer and is probably a quality which helps allow extended drains.

So you choose to pick one parameter that exceeds an arbitrary specification required by a manufacturer that had trouble with existing oils causing detonation in their turbo DI vehicles....to correct their lugging engines from further damage. One. Granted, GM's specs set a maximum for their requirements. So don't use it in a GM engine. Believe it or not, millions of vehicles ran, and indeed still run just fine on non dexos oils!

Show me proof that Amsoil is a poor quality oil, or that it failed to control LSPI, or some other evidence other than your opinion and I will be convinced. Otherwise, zip it.

Yes. Recommended for, has none of them.

Originally Posted by 4WD

Here, I'll play too. The oil does not meet dexos and they tell you why it does not. You said it did but it does not. I was correcting you.

If you are going to correct someone, you should insure you are correct first.

I never said it met specifications. I said it passed the tests. World of difference. Please read for content next time.

Sure. You said it passed, it doesn't and Amsoil themselves tell you why. It fails because it exceeds the sulfated ash specification.

Originally Posted by noclutch
Is this out there? I've surfed around for such but haven't come up with an example of such. Heck, I can't even find the Motorcraft 0w-30 which I assume would be SN+ or B1.

A 0W-30 will run thinner than a 5W-30 of the same HTHS viscosity in most operating conditions because it has a higher viscosity index (VI). That's because the HTHS viscosity is measured at 150 °C but the oil temperatures are usually not that high. In addition a 0W-30 will usually have a thinner base oil than a 5W-30.

The only advantage of a 0W-30 over a 5W-30 is slightly improved fuel economy. Of course, in very cold areas, it also improves cold starting.

Originally Posted by Gokhan
Originally Posted by noclutch

A 0W-30 will run thinner than a 5W-30 of the same HTHS viscosity in most operating conditions because it has a higher viscosity index (VI). That's because the HTHS viscosity is measured at 150 °C but the oil temperatures are usually not that high. In addition a 0W-30 will usually have a thinner base oil than a 5W-30.

The only advantage of a 0W-30 over a 5W-30 is slightly improved fuel economy. Of course, in very cold areas, it also improves cold starting.

Therefore, a good 5W-30 is a better choice if you are concerned with wear (possibly caused by the thinner finished oil and base oil of a 0W-30) and engine and turbocharger deposits (possibly caused by the higher VII content of a 0W-30).

I have M1 0w30 that has SN+ on the back label sitting in my garage waiting to go into my dad's '12 Genesis 5.0 right now. $22 at my local MW.

Thanks for all the replies guys! I/m still reading and learning, so bear with my ignorance as/if it shows.

More of what I was thinking regarding going to 0w while being SN+ (for LSPI concerns) truly was about cold start VCM issues*, which the 3.5 EB certainly is becoming notorious for....
Although [censored] will freeze over before Ocala becomes like Anchorage, and as Ford has YET to find a cause or fix for the excess VCM cleaning cycle noise when cold, there does seem to be some anecdotal evidence of thinner being a quieter, at least at start up. And since 0w-30 is specifically listed in the owners manual as a stupid cold- ease of starting option with the factory blessing, and it is still a 30 sufficient for >40*C operating temps., be it 5w or 0w.

Gokhan- so yea actually I'm more concerned with VCM operation/cleaning cycles and cam chain lubrication than wear or turbo deposits. Also fuel dilution mitigation, but I've yet to document that just yet, but expecting it at my UOA at my next change soon.

Again thanks for humoring the newb
smile.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back