GM New Corvette Enigma!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know plenty of people who have and do daily their corvettes. Also, it's a Halo Car.

Last edited by a moderator:
The expenditure was driven by Mark Reuss to generate a pace car he is less likely to crash.

;^)

I know I should stop picking on the poor guy...I'm sure he wouldn't care in the slightest as he is far more rich and powerful than me.

It is the engineers that push the envelope, that explore new tech and apply it in new and novel ways that set the future. Often the tech that is included in these "extravagant" vehicles is setting the pace for the future. Without the tech developed on the race course, and the premium cars, it would never bleed down to cars you and I can afford. What a short-sighted statement to say something like this. Often this new tech is asking to be proven out and brought into production through the high margin "premium" models that enthusiasts chase...as that is the only feasible way it could see the light of day.

One of our Sr Engineers bought his a year before retirement … it's his daily driver. When asked … said he'd rather hit the freeway in that over his 10 year old Taco that takes care of other needs …

Last edited:
Originally Posted by DriveHard
It is the engineers that push the envelope, that explore new tech and apply it in new and novel ways that set the future. Often the tech that is included in these "extravagant" vehicles is setting the pace for the future. Without the tech developed on the race course, and the premium cars, it would never bleed down to cars you and I can afford. What a short-sighted statement to say something like this. Often this new tech is asking to be proven out and brought into production through the high margin "premium" models that enthusiasts chase...as that is the only feasible way it could see the light of day.

Lets assume you are right and I believe there is truth in this stmt. For the longest time Toyota would make their Avalons ugly low volume units and a testing ground for new engine and transmissions and those were relevant technologies that would INDEED see downstream into volumes like Camry (which one wouldn't want to screw up). That is the sound approach.

Lets see - a high performance V8 much like the MB Bi-Turbos SUVs (engineering coming from F1 engines) has so less volumes and fraught with risk (the life of a F1 engine is possibly a race) and the investment doesn't justify the volumes vs. risk in recalls (MB for example has enough examples of high end engine designs going bad - take the S class)

The ICE has been there for years and incremental concepts go further that radical sports cars engineering which will take many generations to go downstream in volumes.

Driving a corvette as a daily is far too painful other than making a point to buy American and drive American.

Originally Posted by ragtoplvr
It makes a profit.

The Vette engine development has made great improvements in the truck engines..

Rod

Yes, same for the transmission and other things. The 'vette really is a hotbed for new tech, but to be fair, I was blown away by how much tech was put into my CX5. More than went into my Z06. Absolutely wild considering it's a relatively (compared to the Z06) boring and pedestrian vehicle. It's weird what some companies dump money on.

Originally Posted by MaximaGuy

Lets assume you are right and I believe there is truth in this stmt. For the longest time Toyota would make their Avalons ugly low volume units and a testing ground for new engine and transmissions and those were relevant technologies that would INDEED see downstream into volumes like Camry (which one wouldn't want to screw up). That is the sound approach.

Lets see - a high performance V8 much like the MB Bi-Turbos SUVs (engineering coming from F1 engines) has so less volumes and fraught with risk (the life of a F1 engine is possibly a race) and the investment doesn't justify the volumes vs. risk in recalls (MB for example has enough examples of high end engine designs going bad - take the S class)

The ICE has been there for years and incremental concepts go further that radical sports cars engineering which will take many generations to go downstream in volumes.

Driving a corvette as a daily is far too painful other than making a point to buy American and drive American.

Because it will sell, it is a marketing exercise (the Halo car as noted) and some people want to drive an exciting car and are willing to make sacrifices to do that... DD'ing any small, nimble hi-po sports car is full of compromises be it American or otherwise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wings&wheels

Because it will sell, it is a marketing exercise and some people want to drive an exciting car and are willing to make sacrifices to do that...

You don't get it right - it is important to be financially viable to support hard costs. Financial Responsibility comes ahead of anything.
Heading to Washington with a bowl makes no sense!!!

It's a halo car. It's meant to get people excited about the brand and to show off new technology. Every car maker does it, including Toyota/Lexus. If they spend all of their time and energy perfecting boring appliance cars, people eventually lose their excitement for the brand. Even Toyota is not exempt from this: https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-ceo-tells-his-employees-to-stop-building-boring-cars

Originally Posted by glock19

It's a halo car. It's meant to get people excited about the brand and to show off new technology. Every car maker does it, including Toyota/Lexus. If they spend all of their time and energy perfecting boring appliance cars, people eventually lose their excitement for the brand. Even Toyota is not exempt from this: https://carbuzz.com/news/toyota-ceo-tells-his-employees-to-stop-building-boring-cars

^ This. It's a showcase for what they can do and builds interest in the brand.

I think it's pretty amazing this thing is going to start around $60K. Nothing like it is priced like that. The NSX is more than twice as much. I think it will get a lot of people who saw the Corvette as a country club cruiser to see it in a much different light.

Unfortunate so much engineering money is spent on a weekend car - classic case of out of control powerful engineering managers.
If they indeed exited the car segment then why plough money into sport cars.!! Misplaced priorities.

That reasoning can go for all sports car from any manufacture. Is there a problem with a car manufacture having their best and latest tech in their pinnacle sports car? At least the corvette has been continuously updated and doesn't cost your soul to buy.

DriveHard said:

You clearly don't get it....I DD a car that is even more uncomfortable than the subject car...because...wait for it...IT IS FUN! I love it! If I could DD a new Corvette at the price I can for my Fiat, I would take it in a heartbeat.

... and as usual, someone had to drag in Toyota into a discussion that's totally unrelated. Gotta keep up that Toyota envy...
40.gif

Last edited:
The present-gen C7 is an absolute beast... I checked with my pappy about this, he summed it up the best...

Well, they finally got it right, so, I don't know what they are trying to do.

He is a pretty big driving enthusuast and was huge on the C3 Stingrays having had... quite a few, back when they were new, and then the massive transition to the C4 happened (no 1983 model year Corvette) and then family life took over. He's gotten back in the driver's seat and away from Corvette as a vehicle he would own and use, though he could if he chose to, however he test-drove a Z7 ZR1 or was a friend's car or something, or was at the dealer and he is a preferred customer there or some such thing, good for him, last year, and was.. thoroughly impressed. See above statement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back