New to me 2018 Grand Caravan 3.6 weight questions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
[Linked Image]

If this can be read, I believe it says recommended, not required.

And I may be interpreting this wrong, but it list 0w20,5w20,5w30,10w30?

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Typically, when people ask me question like this, I assume they are using the same oil between 2 grades as a comparison. They are not asking syn vs dino, or QS vs Valvoline, or even Mobil1 AFE vs EP vs HM, or even Ravenol ECS vs SFE. I assume this is a pretty straight forward apple to apple comparison.

You can always pick corner cases and just make every single question an "it depends" argument, and you get nothing out of any question or answer.

Given the myriad examples presented, this is hardly a "corner case". The answer is: Look at the bloody Noack, if it's available, and make an educated decision, it's really that simple. Why make sweeping generalizations when one can instead advocate for furthering one's knowledge?

Anyways, that would be a naive assumption. If somebody wants something "better" than dealer bulk 5w-20 or some other generic 5w-20 and they want to go to a 0w-20, that 0w-20 is going to be synthetic and your original statement, indicating that Noack would be an issue, would, typically, not apply in that scenario. For example, our RAM would have come filled with lord knows what 5w-20. The dealer services (for free) with bulk 5w-20, I've chosen, instead, to service with M1 EP 0w-20, which should be similar to the Ravenol product, given the PAO content. In this case, the selection of a 0w-20 would be a Noack upgrade, and it would be for most people going from bulk dealer 5w-20 to a synthetic 0w-20 unless that 5w-20 happened to be one of the very few with an extremely low Noack.

In the case of the OP, he was asking about swapping out dealer bulk 5w-20 with Supertech Synthetic 0w-20, which, in the worst case, would likely have the same Noack as the bulk product. Supertech "High Mileage" 0w-20 has a Noack of 10%, for reference. In most likelihood, the Supertech 0w-20 is an upgrade in Noack here.

Originally Posted by IndyFan
Originally Posted by tiger862
Originally Posted by racinjason
Anybody know if this 0w-20 supertech meets warranty specs? The MS-6395? I tried to look online, but was not successful.

I dont think I have the receipt for it. I don't think I'll have any warranty issues, but I'd like to cover my bases.

I can get Baldwin filters at work pretty cheap, I assume these will be fine?

Does warranty require receipts or would a recorded mileage be ok?

I did try to search for a lot of the questions I have asked and didn't really get what I'm looking for.

No Supertech doesn't meet specs. I own a 2018 Grand Caravan and I used Havoline ProDS 5w20 6 qt. Box cause it was 19.95 with Mobil 1 filter that I picked up at Walmart for 2.00 I think. I change between 4 to 5k which is severe duty according to manual. This meets spec and best price.

I'd bet all major brands actually meet MS6395. The question is if FCA certified it. For example, Mobil 1 EP and AP 0w20 are not MS6395 certified, but Mobil 1 told me they easily exceed the requirements. FCA won't offer them the opportunity, due to marketplace politics. They said the standard is actually not very demanding.

I'd be shocked if Supertech 0w20 didn't exceed MS6395.

MS-whatever is basically a mirror of ILSAC GF-5 specs, nothing fancy, and no FCA won't void your warranty for not using their "recommended" MS spec.

Originally Posted by Jimmy_Russells
Originally Posted by askani79705
My leased work vehicle for the last 15 yrs have been Caravans or Journeys with that very engine.

It has only been out since 2012

OP, You can trust the oil monitor, especially with synthetic, the Pentastar is very easy on oil. Ours goes about 7.5-8k OCI.

I stand corrected. 3.3 before that. I wouldn't have ever considered a Chrysler product prior to my experience with these vehicles. I'm sure you're going to get good value from your purchase OP.

Thanks for the advice all.

I think I will run the super tech 0w20 for sure in the cooler months. Probably run a 5w30 in the hot months.

I also have several gallons of 10w30.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back