2020 Corvette C8 Reveal TONIGHT (18 July 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
I wouldn't want to do work on the engine because it looks like access would be bad in that body. Would probably have to drop the engine from the bottom to even work on it.

The Ford GT had the whole back end open up, so engine access was real good on that mid engine car.

Ford GT ? Don't think we should compare FGT considering what those cost. I would add that if this engine will be hard to work on in place … I'm glad they waited to put a timing chain and turbo monster in there before that 4.2L engine has exposed the weak links … (sorry)

Not a Chevy man at all, but to anybody here who bashes this car, would you give it away if you would happen to win it in a raffle or a lottery? Yea, that's what I thought.
If this car has a chance to compete or beat the world competition, at a price that will probably be considerably less, so be it.

I'm very disappointed with new Corvette interior.

[/quote]

Method to the madness … as edyvw recently pointed out … there are many controls you don't want on a multiple screen touch pad … eyes on road. This is a clever set up … right arm is steady and once the driver learns where the buttons are it becomes 2nd nature.
At work we operate modern equipment with several thousand HP … and it's a mix of touch screen, joy sticks, and yes … switches/knobs …

Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I would think that steering wheel is an ergonomic disaster.

Looks like Ferrari uses the same disaster.
[Linked Image]

I gotta say, that interior looks like a joke to me...yuck.

4WD,

C5 interior was bad
C6 interior good
C7 interior very good
C8 interior terrible

Porsche & BMW interiors are very functional , look elegant and sporty. GM engineers will catch lots of flak over the interior.

Originally Posted by TXCarGeek
V8, mid-engined, allegedly 1.00G on the skidpad on all-seasons, 0-60 in 3 seconds right at $60k...this is a [censored] of a car for the money. We all know GM can design a world class handling chassis so this thing is really going to be a wake up call to Ford and the 'exotic' producers.

GM can (when they want to and commit themselves to it) design and engineer some of the best cars in the world and have proven in the past. To get this car past the glorified upscale kit car (Factory Five GTM) it needs a new exotic power plant which GM can build and build it reliably without the 20K service intervals that cost tens of thousands like the brand name exotics.

This car will be a game changer that will knock the worlds exotic makers on their backside. As another poster said its probably a good thing right now to go with a proven power plant until they have a bulletproof engine good to go but if the Caddy V cars are getting it its a certainty this car will get it.
IMHO this is the best car GM has ever done including the interior, steering wheel and all (which I like).

GM can (when they want to and commit themselves to it) design and engineer some of the best cars in the world and have proven in the past. To get this car past the glorified upscale kit car (Factory Five GTM) it needs a new exotic power plant which GM can build and build it reliably without the 20K service intervals that cost tens of thousands like the brand name exotics.

This car will be a game changer that will knock the worlds exotic makers on their backside. As another poster said its probably a good thing right now to go with a proven power plant until they have a bulletproof engine good to go but if the Caddy V cars are getting it its a certainty this car will get it.
IMHO this is the best car GM has ever done including the interior, steering wheel and all (which I like).

[/quote]
+1+1+1

I like alot about it, but the styling doesn't quite grab me. The C7 was spectacular looking at launch, and very "Corvette". The new one might grow on me in time. There is no doubt they're moving the Corvette into present/future with this design.

I also like the choice of base engine just being an improved 6.2l. Still an american sledge hammer in there. Something like the previous LS7 with some updates would have been neat too, but would no doubt add to the cost.

So far, I like it. I've always liked front engine rear drive. But with the level of HP modern performance cars have, and the resulting traction difficulties, a mid-rear engine makes sense.

The American V8 continues to win races against the worlds most exotic contenders. Instant, easy to modulate, mid range torque along with sufficient peak HP are chief among the reasons.

Last edited:
The real car journalists write about the evolution of front engine conventional, rear transaxle improvement, what it still left on the table despite F/R balance (dumbbell analogy) to why expensive cars have gone mid engine …

Some of the authors I read today should go back Tupperware articles …

Originally Posted by Trav
that primitive pushrod design needs to go into the bin

Pushrod engines are very close to EOL and....I wouldn't go as far as to call it spectacular,

This type of car deserves better and I am sure as soon as the bugs are out of the Blackwing a variant of it will find its way into the new vette and the old pushrod engines relegated to truck/SUV duty which is perfectly suited for a 2v V8.[/quote]

I disagree entirely.

The modest displacement, high rpm, twin turbo DOHC engines don't win on the track. The C7R with it's de-tuned and downsized V8 competes with the worlds best.

Factors such as physical size, BSFC, torque curve, power to weight, reliability and response are all part of the equation.

Originally Posted by Cujet
that primitive pushrod design needs to go into the bin.

Pushrod engines are very close to EOL and....I wouldn't go as far as to call it spectacular,

This type of car deserves better and I am sure as soon as the bugs are out of the Blackwing a variant of it will find its way into the new vette and the old pushrod engines relegated to truck/SUV duty which is perfectly suited for a 2v V8.
I disagree entirely.
The modest displacement, high rpm, twin turbo DOHC engines don't win on the track. The C7R with it's de-tuned and downsized V8 competes with the worlds best.
Factors such as physical size, BSFC, torque curve, power to weight, reliability and response are all part of the equation.
I also disagree Trav. Cujet makes some valid points, add cost and efficiency to them.
After many years using only OHC gas V/8s & V/10s, Ford is even coming out with a new pushrod V/8 as the most powerful gas engine for it's trucks, and for the same reasons.

Originally Posted by aquariuscsm
I would think that steering wheel is an ergonomic disaster.

My Grandfather's 1964 Chrysler New Yorker had a squared off steering wheel, and it was mostly translucent !!

In fairness he did say it would remain a staple for truck/SUV (funny car too !) …

Surely they will continue testing various engines …
but wanted to kick off with the "look what you get for $60k" theme …

Originally Posted by KGMtech
My Grandfather's 1964 Chrysler New Yorker had a squared off steering wheel, and it was mostly translucent !!

I had to look that up:

[Linked Image]

I like this new Corvette. Had a 1995 back in the day, with the LT1 that had the dreaded opti-spark ignition, although they'd improved it for model yr 95 and effectively stopped the moisture problems.

Can't wait to see the 2020 chew up exotics on the track, with the right driver behind the wheel ... er .... I mean... the square. 'Merica !!!
34.gif

P.S. Although base MSRP may start below 60K, expect dealer "market adjustments" to nudge that up to... 65 or 70? If the demand is high.

Originally Posted by Cujet
that primitive pushrod design needs to go into the bin

This type of car deserves better and I am sure as soon as the bugs are out of the Blackwing a variant of it will find its way into the new vette and the old pushrod engines relegated to truck/SUV duty which is perfectly suited for a 2v V8.

I disagree entirely.

[/quote]

Then we have to agree to disagree. Just the sound of a real exotic vs a SMC (or any pushrod engine in any guise for a sport car) makes the world of difference on how the car is perceived, to me the Vette engine does not have a nice sound. All I can say its lets wait and see.

Edit: Most Americans like the sound of a HD also which to me is the most horrible racket I ever heard outside of a 2cyl lawn tractor. Each to his/her own I guess.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back