Would you say HM oils have stronger Add packs than regular oils?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by buster
Usually boosted detergents and added seal conditioners.

I think often the moly and ZDDP are higher as well.

Yep, especially those that are API SL. More ZDDP, more detergent, and the viscosity is on the thicker side of its viscosity rating. For example, Royal Purple HMX 5w-30 is borderline a 5w-40, possibly 10w-40. There is a VOA of it here in BITOG, but from 2017.

Originally Posted by ZZman
Originally Posted by buster
Usually boosted detergents and added seal conditioners.

I think often the moly and ZDDP are higher as well.

Add boron and titanium (Kendall for example), EP additives. And I've found some have high(er) tbn's.

Most non boutique oils keep the zddp lvls in the 800ppm range though due to cats.

Last edited:
Mobil did at one time claim more ZDDP in M1HM, it's now SN Plus across the line but with ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 and A3/B3 certifications as well. SOPUS claimed higher Zn in QS Defy but now it seems like a run of the mill HM oil.

There's more to the story like elevated Mo/B/Ti or some form of zinc that can't be picked up in a VOA. Castrol probably has something up their sleeves.

Originally Posted by nthach
Mobil did at one time claim more ZDDP in M1HM, it's now SN Plus across the line but with ACEA A1/B1, A5/B5 and A3/B3 certifications as well. SOPUS claimed higher Zn in QS Defy but now it seems like a run of the mill HM oil.

There's more to the story like elevated Mo/B/Ti or some form of zinc that can't be picked up in a VOA. Castrol probably has something up their sleeves.

Cost of ingredients is a factor for sure. I've noticed more and more use of Boron. My guess is for the price of one, it serves multiple purposes. Like stabilizing pH and as an EP additive...but then you have some formulators that like to go an entirely different direction and [just] throw in gobs of moly. Kendall seems to prefer Ti. So dunno...🤔

My question is... what (blend of elements) is best/better??..if that's even answerable.

Originally Posted by Garak
If they're SN/GF-5, I wouldn't expect a marked difference over the "regular" version when it comes to phosphorus or viscosity.

There isn't as far as I can tell. Some are "thicker", some are "thinner".. there's no rhyme or reason. And phosphorus levels are pretty uniform across all mfgs much like zddp levels.

I haven't been in an oil aisle in a long time to really take a look to see if there are any non-certified HM oils from any of the majors left. I do know that VR-1 has the extra additives, though not technically a high mileage oil, and is fairly cheap up here at our Walmarts. They only stock 20w-50, though, which is so helpful in a Canadian winter.
wink.gif

Originally Posted by Garak
I haven't been in an oil aisle in a long time to really take a look to see if there are any non-certified HM oils from any of the majors left. I do know that VR-1 has the extra additives, though not technically a high mileage oil, and is fairly cheap up here at our Walmarts. They only stock 20w-50, though, which is so helpful in a Canadian winter.
wink.gif

Oh god, 20w50
frown.gif

Could have been some of the stuff Snagglefoot posted from Motul while back Think it was 15w50
wink.gif

Originally Posted by demarpaint
Some of their marketing would lead you to believe they do.

That's what happens when the marketing dept gets a hold of a little data from engineering and runs with it/plays fast and loose....‚

I do know most of the Biggie's say that they have/use proprietary ingredients/formulas, so maybe there's stuff that doesn't necessarily show up on UOA's/PDS's???

Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter
Originally Posted by demarpaint
Some of their marketing would lead you to believe they do.

That's what happens when the marketing dept gets a hold of a little data from engineering and runs with it/plays fast and loose....‚

I do know most of the Biggie's say that they have/use proprietary ingredients/formulas, so maybe there's stuff that doesn't necessarily show up on UOA's/PDS's???

The marketing department has to earn their keep. "Proprietary" there's another great word for selling a product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back