Mobil One design change M1C-154A

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased 2 mobil one filters for my corolla. Upon pick-up I noticed immediately that the boxes were different sizes. I opened them and the filters were different. Not sure which one is older, but I have been using these filters for about 7 years and they have always looked like the blue top filter. Just thought I would share and have included pics. The all paper top looks like it is slightly larger and may even be better at filtration.

20190717_181609.jpg

20190717_181656.jpg

20190717_181719.jpg

Why is the Mahle filter better?

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Still Chinese
mad.gif

Maybe not bad if they're from the Walmart clearance bin for $3

Otherwise, get Mahle

Fiber end cap filter looks IDENTICAL to the Fram Tough Guard cartridges that are also made in China. The M1 cartridge I put in a 2018 GS350 Lexus last week was metal end cap with sealing o-rings glued on the ends.

There should be a date code somewhere on the cartridge. However, since the second with felt type endcaps different than previous that likely newer design. The endcap looks very similar if not identical to the Hyun/Kia oem cartridge endcap that was made by Mahle, Fram CH10855 same cartridge. In that case it's only one end cap because other end composite type needed for installation purposes. Anyway, wouldn't be concerned about using the cartridge based solely on felt/fiber type endcap.

As for coo, as opposed to the spin on type, many cartridges from US based filter companies are made in China. Just the way it is and in my observation doesn't make them substandard.

I would have no issue using either filter. Champion Labs is the contract OE for the Mobil 1 filters and they are usually pretty good about making sure the quality is there even for their sub-contracted lines regardless of COO.

Unless you buy dealer OEM cartridge filters, it is hard to find them aftermarket and not be from China or Korea nowadays.

Originally Posted by Hootbro
Unless you buy dealer OEM cartridge filters, it is hard to find them aftermarket and not be from China or Korea nowadays.

The Mahle cartridge is made in Austria
smile.gif

...The Mahle cartridge is made in Austria..
The previously noted Mahle made OEM cartridge for Hyun/Kia (also Fram CH 10855) is made in S Korea.

Originally Posted by Sayjac
The previously noted Mahle made OEM cartridge for Hyun/Kia (also Fram CH 10855) is made in S Korea.

I was talking about the one they make for the OP's Corolla
smile.gif

Originally Posted by slacktide_bitog
Originally Posted by Sayjac
I was talking about the one they make for the OP's Corolla
smile.gif

And I was following up with coo on the mentioned Mahle made Hyun/Kia oem cartridge with similar endcap type to OPs second cartridge. And showing that Hootbro observation also correct about many cartridges now made in China and S Korea, even Mahle.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back