What makes a good forever car?

There's these 2 famous car owners, one a lady that has driven her 1957 Chevy bel air since new. Another that has racked up 3 million miles on his 1966 Volvo. That makes me wonder about my camper van. I want to keep mine forever, but I wonder if it doesn't really work as a forever car. It's a Toyota Previa. A 90s car with an ECU that's been discontinued from Toyota. I won't be able to buy a replacement ECU from Toyota if the ECU dies. I will likely keep the thing until it dies, just to see. But if and when it does, I want to know what would make a good forever car.

I assume it really just needs to be a car which can be worked on easily and will always have market support for parts. Are the best cars for this older American cars? As in early 70s and prior? I wouldn't mind owning an old station wagon and using that as my camper vehicle. I don't need to tow anything. Just space to carry 4-6 people and enough supplies for tent-style camping. I have already been camping 3 times this year and am scheduled for 3 more times this year. I go camping a lot. The Previa of course is doing fine as of now. It's got 200k miles on it now and no rust. Maintained immaculately with top notch fluids.

Last edited:
A bad ECU wouldn't necessarily end the car's life. You can always get a junkyard unit, used one on eBay, a remanufactured one from a parts store, and there are even companies that will repair your unit. The transmission control module in my old Accord just died a few weeks ago (common problem on these cars). Honda discontinued them. I could've gotten a used one or a reman unit, but I decided the best option was to have mine repaired. They supposedly upgrade the common failure items with better components so it shouldn't fail again. It has a lifetime warranty. Only cost $117 including shipping both ways from CT to CA.

90's Previa? The kind of cool mid engine one?? I wouldn't let that go either!

You're going to get a wide array of answers... most because our wants and needs are different than yours. I personally want RWD or a RWD based AWD system/4x4, but I need a decent amount of legroom in the driver seat for instance. But in my opinion, a forever car is a car that not only fits your criteria for a vehicle, but is also one that you love. There's always an aftermarket for parts, as mentioned above, to keep older vehicles on the road.

Last edited:
A forever car is something you want to and are willing to keep in the road indefinitely, regardless of the economics.

Needs paint? You paint it.

Needs an engine? You buy/build one.

Needs some insecure part that no one has? You learn to make or repair it and become an SME or you get in touch with the small network of other weirdos that stock parts for your particular weirdness.

It's easy to make a car a "forever" car. The question is if you want to put the time and resources into it, especially if it's a vehicle that has little market significance.

You can always purchase a few spare parts that you may need in the future, or have a mechanic that has the resources when those parts fail.

Grace Braeger's 57 Chevy was also never driven in the rain and tucked away in the winter. It was also extensively restored inside and out a few years ago, the transmission has been replaced, as well as most of the exterior engine components. It's also a relatively rare vehicle, and it's value makes it worth it.

Irv Gordon's 66 Volvo also had the engine rebuilt at 690,000 and the engine was replaced in 2009. He was constantly maintaining the car, but there was decent aftermarket support from Volvo. The advertising was also a boon for Volvo, and they capitalized on it. It's also a rare vehicle and it's value makes it worth it.

Are you willing to put the time and effort into something like a Toyota Previa, which is not a rare vehicle and has very little value or appeal? Will it have that level of value and appeal in 40 or 50 years time?

You also have to question driving a very old vehicle in today's traffic if you live near/in a big city. I enjoy getting both the 442 and T out for a Sunday afternoon drive, but I'd never want to use either as a daily driver-they simply aren't as suited to be around modern traffic. Both are far more maintenance intensive than either my modern pickup or our Equinox.

I have 2 of those kind of vehicles. My 65 VW bug is number 1. You still buy nearly any part. Easily repaired. I keep mine inside and do not use in the winter. My 3 sons all learned to drive a stick with it and it survi ved with the same transmission. I did bring it up to 12 volts and a 1600 single port motor, but I kept the original one. Also I have a 1975 Westfalia camper. It has the 2L carbed motor. Parts are still available and the body is from New Mexico. Maintenence manuals are simple as is the electrical.

I never said I would keep the Previa as long as possible. I just like the charm of seeing someone driving around an old car every once and while. When I see some old 70s station wagon in a grocery market not meant to be a show car, I kinda wish I had that. My friend's dad has kept his ‘74 Toyota pickup, and it's the car he had when he met and married his wife. His son gave me a ride in it. I really liked the idea of keeping around an old sentimental car, like never saying good bye to an old dog, no matter how slow, inconvenient, outdated it may be. Yes, I am willing to put in money and time, but I can't fix some things, especially a niche car like a Previa. So I'm wondering what kind of car COULD survive a long time with parts support and diy repairs. It would only be used for weekends for recreational purposes only, and not for show.

Originally Posted by vwmaniaman
I have 2 of those kind of vehicles. My 65 VW bug is number 1. You still buy nearly any part. Easily repaired. I keep mine inside and do not use in the winter. My 3 sons all learned to drive a stick with it and it survi ved with the same transmission. I did bring it up to 12 volts and a 1600 single port motor, but I kept the original one. Also I have a 1975 Westfalia camper. It has the 2L carbed motor. Parts are still available and the body is from New Mexico. Maintenence manuals are simple as is the electrical.

See, I think that is cool. Keeping those old vehicles around and fun memories that come with them. But I bet a 70s VW is a better choice for longevity than a 90s ECU controlled car.

Originally Posted by Kurtatron
I never said I would keep the Previa as long as possible. I just like the charm of seeing someone driving around an old car every once and while. When I see some old 70s station wagon in a grocery market not meant to be a show car, I kinda wish I had that. My friend's dad has kept his ‘74 Toyota pickup, and it's the car he had when he met and married his wife. His son gave me a ride in it. I really liked the idea of keeping around an old sentimental car, like never saying good bye to an old dog, no matter how slow, inconvenient, outdated it may be. Yes, I am willing to put in money and time, but I can't fix some things, especially a niche car like a Previa. So I'm wondering what kind of car COULD survive a long time with parts support and diy repairs. It would only be used for weekends for recreational purposes only, and not for show.

I have my father's 72 Dart he bought new. It's been sitting outside and hasn't been driven since 2000, not that it's driveable anyway now. Does that count?

Chevy Nova and Dodge Dart. L6 from around 1970s,
Maintained a fleet of these for a driving school. Simple easy reliable. Dodge slant six had that exhaust manifold cracking issue but otherwise solid.

Now rust control is another issue.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Chevy Nova and Dodge Dart. L6 from around 1970s,
Maintained a fleet of these for a driving school. Simple easy reliable. Dodge slant six had that exhaust manifold cracking issue but otherwise solid.

Now rust control is another issue.

That's what I want to hear about. What are models from the past with good market support and have big engines that can keep up with modern traffic? MPGs not to be considered. Would something like an old crown Vic be a good choice? It seems to me like 70s meet be the sweet spot for owning an older car. About right?

Originally Posted by atikovi
Forever car? You serious? You're not talking about a Porsche Ferrari or Corvette. A 200,000 mile Previa is a $1000 or $2000 beater. Easy to replace if wrecked or breaks down.

The cost of maintaining it would eclipse the cost of updating it.

Like a guy with an old microwave willing to spend $300 on parts instead of $89.99 on a Walmart beater model new one.

70's 2WD Chevy C10 with a re-maned 350 and a TH350 of 4 speed Muncie M21 and Posi.

Run Aftermaket big 2 bbl TBI with under dash tuner and a GM HEI distributor.

Back