‘13 Silverado 1500 Extended Cab

Status
Not open for further replies.
Company i'm working for is selling off trucks and there's one i'm looking at that i mentioned in the subject. It has around 45K on the clock, new tires, fleet maintained etc. i drove it to the rig couple of months ago and was fairly pleased with it. I don't know exact price but it'll be on 10K range. Do you guys think it would be a good buy? How are those 4.8L engines? Anything bad on transmissions?never owned a truck but need to go the rigs at times so looking for one but hate to spend a ton of money. Thanks for the feedback y'all

You need to check the SPID in the glove compartment as RPO codes tell you every spec.

The 4.8L is good for a 2wd regular cab short wheel base pick-up......More than that it gets sluggish down low as this engine just doesn't have enough low end torque, The same could be said for the longer stroke 5.3L in a loaded crew cab 4x4.

I have the '13 Silverado ext cab 4x4 with the 5.3 and it's been a great truck so far (around 53k miles). I know others have had trouble with the displacement on demand, but to tell the truth I never see modes other than V8 unless I'm coasting down a hill.
The only time it's been back to the dealer is for oil changes with tire rotation.
I'm not sure how much less power the 4.8 has, but the 5.3 is more than enough engine for my purposes.

I agree with what has been said.

My opinion: if it's a good deal, grab it. Odds are it may be high geared for mpg on the highway, which may make it feel like a dog. But if it's a 2WD model a gear swap can't be that expensive (4WD being 2x the cost). 4L60's are hit or miss, but cheap to replace, so I'd call it a wash. Not sure what else there might be for issues on that model year. Check the codes, if it doesn't have G80 locker maybe it'd be a good time for a limited slip while you're at it.

If you're not towing (heavy or often) I'd think it'd be fine.

We have had several vans at work with 4.8s and they are strong little engines. They will take heavy abuse.

As mentioned don't expect the 4.8 to burn tires from a stoplight, but they are certainly plenty powerful for daily usage and light towing/hauling.

Last edited:
Thanks for the feedback men. Waiting for the fleet dpt to let me know the price for the truck and go from there

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back