Do You Still Change Your Oil at 3K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My F150 is an annual change, will probably be ~3,000 miles.
My motorcycle is also an annual change, 2,500-3,000 miles.
Brother in laws F150 that I take care of is on a 4,000 mile interval.

The rest of my personal vehicles are a 5,000 mile interval (easy math, and on the Hyundai/Kia, a middle ground between normal and severe intervals, and on the Scion is the recommended interval).

My sisters Santa Fe is 7500 miles since she does mostly highway miles.

About 5K. Depending on the weather and my mood. Sometimes more often as I just need to get an oil change out of my system.

Subaru is currently on a 10k mile diet with M 1 EP.

F150 I'm taking to 7500 and an UOA ... it has been a 5k to date.

Originally Posted by Aredeeem
5k conventional oil changes with 10/30. Took a Toyota Tercel north of 250,000 miles without a hiccup. Been driving for 50 years. Me thinks we make too much of this at times. What goes on under the valve cover stays under the valve cover🤫

That's not always true. Leaky valve covers look nasty. Especially with 8k conventional and road grime. Would take a pic of dad's 4.0 Cherokee, but nobody wants to see that disgusting mess.

I did 3k synthetic oil changes a few times after I bought a used LS1 Corvette. Ended up cleaning the engine so well that I can't even see a gold tinge of varnish under the oil fill cap. Now I'm doing 5k. A bit soon, but I drive that Corvette hard. I do 7.5k with my 3.4 Tacoma.

I have written about OCIs quite a bit over the years. Since I own a dealership, I am always handling someone else's oil change and that can be quite a drag since plenty of trade-ins and repos have oil that's been stretched out a bit.

The only car I ever kept was the one I got before I got my dealers license. A red 1994 Toyota Camry coupe. That one I changed every 3,000 miles since a DIY oil change back in the 1990s was only around five bucks.

As of 2019 that vehicle is still on the road with over 350,000 miles. It's driven by a young college student in south Georgia and maybe, just maybe, I'll buy it back someday.

If I kept a vehicle and it wasn't rough on oil, I would probably do my oil every 7500 and the filter every 15000. I would also check my oil, coolant, and tires every time I filled up. it seems crazy but that type of OCD behavior is what kept me far away from any suspension or powertrain issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back