Stubborn diff fill plug

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is on my 05 Liberty's front diff. It's an aluminum diff, steel fill plug (just uses the drive end of a 3/8" ratchet). Just tried it with the vehicle dead cold (been sitting for a few days) and it seems pretty tight. Didn't want to force it. I'm thinking I should drive it and get it up to temp so that the aluminum expands (expands faster than steel I think?) and then that might allow it break free easier. Does that seem logical? Thanks!

Soak with penetrant, get it hot, breaker bar. Hit the latter half of the threads with never seize before re-install.

Originally Posted by DukeOfFrontenac
Soak with penetrant, get it hot, breaker bar. Hit the latter half of the threads with never seize before re-install.

Yup...for added effect before or after heating hit it with CRC Freeze-Off.

In addition to penetrating fluid, tap the plug with a hammer repeated for a while -maybe half a minute or so. Don't beat the daylights out of it. Just firm taps. It goes a long way to break threads free. Works on brake fluid drain plugs too. Tap straight-on, not sideways.

Ray

Sounds good. I just sprayed PB blaster on it so it can soak overnight then tomorrow I'll drive it and get it good and warmed up, give it a few taps as well. never had this happen before on it, although usually I do it warm.

I'd cross over with a 3/8" x 1/2 inch adapter and use a 1/2" ratchet.
smile.gif

Good reminder to teach the next generation: always remove the fill plug before dumping gear oil from a differential

Many a times factory torques don't match reality - they invariably very tight.
Few times stripped the transmission bolts as well and they don't come cheap ($10/piece).
Take it easy and lots of penetrating fluid.

I tapped it a few times with the sledge hammer and it loosened right up! Total non event. Put a smidge of anti-seize on it.

Thanks for the help everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back