Would this cause my jeep to stall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So today for no reason, my jeep stalled out at a stop sign. No lights or codes and it restarted an ran fine. I figured maybe my air charge sensor was dirty so I popped the hood to clean it. That's when I saw the hose from my crank case to my air box was off on the air box end. I have no idea how, but it did. I was told that was the crankcase ventilation hose. Hooked it back on and it SEEMS to be running and idling fine now. Would that have caused a random stall? Pic attached so don't judge my dirty engine bay.

IMG_20190718_202128.jpg

I would think with it being disconnected from the air box it would be a good vacuum leak. I hope it didn't do any damage with me driving it for 35 miles like that before I popped the hood.

Start it and remove it while running, how much suction does it have?

What kind of Jeep? Looks like a Patriot.

It goes to the airbox? No, that wouldn't cause a problem. There is no vacuum in the air intake tube. Engine vacuum is inside the intake manifold, on the other side of the throttle body. Vacuum is what happens when you suck the air out of a space, and new air can't get into that space to replenish it. This is why engines have lots of vacuum at idle, and not when they're at WOT: At idle or light throttle, the pistons are moving down on the intake stroke, sucking air out of the manifold and into the cylinders, while the throttle body is closed (or mostly closed), thus preventing the air in the intake manifold to be easily replenished, and that is what creates engine vacuum. If the throttle body is wide open, there is no engine vacuum because the air in the intake manifold is easily replenished via the wide open throttle body.

The engine should run exactly the same with that hose disconnected. The only reason it's connected to the intake tube instead of being open to the air is so it sucks in CLEAN air that has already passed through the air filter, instead of sucking any airborne dirt and dust into the crankcase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back