Looking for Highlander '06,'07, '09

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to find a well maintained Toyota Highlander 2006, 2007 or 2009. 2011 would be acceptable but probably out of my price range.

White, blue, silver or tan.

Willing to fly and drive it back.

Originally Posted by atikovi
2 or 4WD? Max miles? Price range?

AWD is fine. Probably 125k max. 11k Max

Those years are my preferences. I'd look at 2008 and 2010. Those years seem to have had more problems.

I'm concerned that you're looking at 13 year old vehicles some distance away sight unseen based on reputation and not specific condition.

This can get frustrating.

If consumer reports gave some model years slightly better marks this will be static compared to the actual A vs B condition you'll miss by "running the numbers".

This gray 2008 4x4 with 85,000 miles coming at auction next week. Probably brings around $8K.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by eljefino
What's wrong with the 2008?
Personally, I stay away from first year models, including Toyotas. 2008 was the first year of the Highlander redesign. First year models tend to have the most problems as the manufacturer works the bugs out of them (with the "assistance" of the new owners). The 2010s are fine. It stands to reason that the last year of a model run tends to be the most reliable since they are well sorted-out by then, 2007 was the last year for the previous model run.
Stay away from the 4-cylinder. While the 2.4L & 2.7L engines themselves are robust, the Highlander is too heavy for the engine and it is under powered. For in-town driving at low speeds they are OK, but on the highway they run out of steam and are gutless wonders. If a Highlander is being advertised for what seems like a bargain price it likely has a 4-cylinder engine, there are more of them out there than you might think because the car rental companies bought them in large numbers, so watch out for this. The Toyota dealers had a hard time selling them to the public so most of the 4-cylinders were former rentals.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by wag123
Condition report: https://app.box.com/s/td3wpn7j4snucvt2pio524b8za0v6rg2
It looks like this one was in a demolition derby. It was rode hard and put up wet for sure!

They just mention every flaw in the condition report. The low mileage is what makes it desirable.
It doesn't have rear A/C and heat either. This REALLY hurts the value where I live. If a buyer will actually be using the 3rd row seats, it really needs rear the A/C and heat. Watch out for this on 2008 and up Highlanders Gebo. Rear A/C was not available on 2007 and earlier Highlanders, but the optional 3rd row seats were a joke and almost nobody purchased or used them.

Last edited:
My 2006 does have that third row. It is ideal for our young daughter who gets her own row on long trips out of town, but would be very impractical if you had a large number of folks needing to be moved around. This is really my dd so any extra people moving capabilities is just icing on the cake for me.

They just mention every flaw in the condition report. The low mileage is what makes it desirable.
It doesn't have rear A/C and heat either. This REALLY hurts the value where I live. If a buyer will actually be using the 3rd row seats, it really needs rear the A/C and heat. Watch out for this on 2008 and up Highlanders Gebo. Rear A/C was not available on 2007 and earlier Highlanders, but the optional 3rd row seats were a joke and almost nobody purchased or used them.[/quote]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by paulri
My 2006 does have that third row. It is ideal for our young daughter who gets her own row on long trips out of town, but would be very impractical if you had a large number of folks needing to be moved around. This is really my dd so any extra people moving capabilities is just icing on the cake for me.
I'll bet your daughter won't like sitting back there in a couple/few years. Using the 3rd row seat on long trips, where do you put all of your "stuff", on the roof?
Production and sales numbers on 2007 and earlier Highlanders with the 3rd row seat option were very low. They were hard to sell after potential buyers took a close look at it. My wife and I are small people and we can't sit back there.

I wouldn't expect adults to sit back there at all. As I said, its suitable for one smaller individual.

Originally Posted by paulri
I'll bet your daughter won't like sitting back there in a couple/few years. Using the 3rd row seat on long trips, where do you put all of your "stuff", on the roof?
Production and sales numbers on 2007 and earlier Highlanders with the 3rd row seat option were very low. They were hard to sell after potential buyers took a close look at it. My wife and I are small people and we can't sit back there.

Last edited:
It would have to be a 6 cyl as well. I've got 4-5 months to look so I'm not in a hurry.

If I could pick, I would get an '07.

Last edited:
I have an 05, blue, 3.3 v6, fwd. Seats 7 with rear air. It's been a reliable car. All I've done outside of regular maintenance (timing belt) is a front wheel bearing and a large trans cooler as I tow.

I would love to sell it to fund a truck, but I'm not in the positon to make that happen at the moment. It's also spent most of it's life in Chicago, and it shows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back