'03 F150 Parking Brake Adjustment

Status
Not open for further replies.
2003 F-150 5.4L Lariat 2WD with rear disc brakes. Just replaced the shoes, pads, & right rear caliper. Do the parking brakes self adjust on these vehicles? Is this helped by braking when going in reverse?

probably self-adjust with each application of the parking brake cable.
you may need to apply it several times before the shoes bite.

If the shoes are a top hat type thing you probably have to manually adjust them. They're very simple and not supposed to be used when moving, so shouldn't wear out, so shouldn't need to self-adjust.

Those are drum parking brake shoes in the disc brake rotor hat style.

No self adjuster on them. Manual adjustment. As noted, should not need readjustment. All the parts on them corrode and die up here in the salt belt. Had trouble with both my '99 and my '04 F150's with this style parking brake. The pads eventually delaminated from their backing and needed to be replaced despite little use. That turns into replacing all the hardware in there too due to corrosion...

Yep, passenger side forward shoe had completely delaminated & the trailing shoe crumbled. Replaced both sides. Passenger pad had also completely worn down. Caliper frozen. Heat buildup on passenger side rear was quite a lot.

Both rear wheels in air. Adjuster completely loosened such that rotor can be removed with parking brake applied. Parking brake off & still can't turn the rear wheels freely unless ~ 100-150 ft-lbf torque applied.

Originally Posted by MNgopher
Those are drum parking brake shoes in the disc brake rotor hat style.

No self adjuster on them. Manual adjustment. As noted, should not need readjustment. All the parts on them corrode and die up here in the salt belt. Had trouble with both my '99 and my '04 F150's with this style parking brake. The pads eventually delaminated from their backing and needed to be replaced despite little use. That turns into replacing all the hardware in there too due to corrosion...

I had the same issue with my 2002 F-150 4X4 here in NJ, land of "brine". To add insult to injury my 5 speed manual transmission would pop out of gear and let the truck roll
shocked2.gif

Whimsey

Originally Posted by benjamming
Yep, passenger side forward shoe had completely delaminated & the trailing shoe crumbled. Replaced both sides. Passenger pad had also completely worn down. Caliper frozen. Heat buildup on passenger side rear was quite a lot.

Both rear wheels in air. Adjuster completely loosened such that rotor can be removed with parking brake applied. Parking brake off & still can't turn the rear wheels freely unless ~ 100-150 ft-lbf torque applied.

It's either the parking brakes or the calipers. You have to narrow it down. Try pulling a wheel off, remove the caliper, put the wheel back on. If it spins freely it's the caliper. If it's still stuck its the parking brake.

Limited slip or non-limited slip? If in gear or park and a Limited Slip, you should expect a bunch of resistance to turning. In neutral, both wheels should turn in the same direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back