I did it! Put Straight HD30 in the PSD...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was due for an oil change and the wife is heading out on a 5+ hour haul loaded to the gills with horses so I went ahead and dumped some straight 30WT in the 05 PSD. I've read many times about how well this weight does in the 6.0 due to lack of VII's and how the HEUI system beats up oil so I figured what the heck! Its summer in Florida and no chance of a cold start!

Anybody else try it yet? The truck is deleted with no emissions parts left whatsoever, so that part is not of concern.

She's making a 400 mile trip today with it loaded, I'll report back if it makes it!
smile.gif

It would be interesting to see a UOA on it. Straight SAE 30 always worked well in the IDI diesels, it would be interesting to see if a HEUI system could shear it or not.

Sadly it was Mobil Delvac.... I hate Mobil as many of you are aware LOL but this was on sale at Rural King for a killer price and needing 4 gallons at a time I try to use good oil but save costs when I can
wink.gif

And no, it was not the ND SAE30, it was the correct HDEO for diesels manufactured prior to 2007 MY, an my truck is an 05 so we're good to go!

I may try and get a UOA on this when it gets near the end of the 5000miles. I'm curious to see how well it holds up!

I have Duron SAE 40 in my 11 Duramax right now. I did a UOA a few years ago on Duron 30 at OLM time, and it was good to go much further.
I don't worry about API licencing for non-existing applications. That would be a waste of money.
The additive levels are often published, so that is what I go by.

Originally Posted by roadrunner1
It'll be just fine in FL., the only issue would be cold starts.

Straight 30 is good to freezing.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
HD means no VM and that's a good thing.

I bet SAE 30 have a wider VI and a better group class than they did a couple decade ago

Thats my thoughts exactly!

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
I bet SAE 30 have a wider VI and a better group class than they did a couple decade ago

Yes I agree.
A modern Group II SAE 30 would probably test out to something like a 15W-30 at a guess and completely shear stable.

The Delvac has nearly identical specs to Delo SD, a 15w30.
OP, you just did your 6.0h no a favor, IMO, and in 5k you may even want to do it again.

I have a 02 and an 06 and I am starting of thinking of using a straight wt 40 in the summer time here in Iowa. Mine both live on horse trailers. I have always run a HDEO 15w-40 even thru the winter up here. I have never had trouble with mine and I thiink that most of the guys that have problems with the 6.0 is because of running thin syn oils in them. Oils with high amounts of VM's is what causes the problems.

Originally Posted by beanoil
OP, you just did your 6.0h no a favor, IMO, and in 5k you may even want to do it again.

Lets hope so! lol I love the truck but when the wife and kids take it on long trips like this hauling a lot of weight I still get nervous! She's been good to me and never a let down with 135k on it. But you know the reputation
wink.gif

15w30 reminds me of Mercury's 25w40 …
and those black ops boat engineers hate VM added to base oil …

Well this is exciting....seriously. I am curious to see how it pans out. My guess is you'll be more than fine.

Originally Posted by racin4ds
Originally Posted by beanoil

Lets hope so! lol I love the truck but when the wife and kids take it on long trips like this hauling a lot of weight I still get nervous! She's been good to me and never a let down with 135k on it. But you know the reputation
wink.gif

I know it well.
Mine had studs, FelPro MLS gaskets, a reman FICM with the Atlas flash, BulletProof Diesel water pump, ELC coolant, and DIY bypass filter. I ran a lot of Valvoline 10w30, and a couple fills of the Delo 15w30. I found LubeGard BioTech better than the popular Rev-X and Archoil, and either of those was better than HotShots for stiction and injector care.
If you leave them stock, and take care of them they can last. Problem is the lack of head bolts around each cylinder, and most tuners increase cylinder pressure over what the TTY head bolts can handle. If you took yours to Ford for updated flashes over it's life, they began to suck power back out with later flashes to try and save the beast. The Atlas flash puts all the good Mojo back in, and really makes the truck fun to drive without hosing reliability.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back